gvsusean

Let’s get it started again!

Here's a smattering of Kalamazoo site plan review applications that have not been mentioned on here before.

1. Hawthorne Park

The first is 205 E Stockbridge "Hawthorne Park". This was submitted in September 2019. It's a bit of a mystery project. The site plan review is focused only on landscaping, but there is a floor plan that reveals two buildings, one of which is mixed use commercial / residential and the other all-residential. I have no clue if this one is even alive still. If built, it would be directly next door to a pretty drab-looking Dollar General.

2019_09_04_Kalamaoo_Hawthorne%20Park%20-
Source: Kalamazoo Site Plan Review

2. Kalsee Credit Union

This new branch office would be located at 3121 Portage Rd. (the corner of Portage & Cork). Currently, there is a 1-story and 2-story building on the site that would need to be demolished. I'll be a little sad to see the 2-story brick structure go - it most-recently housed a Stanley Steemer, and it was originally a city fire station. Everything about this is kinda funky - the site plan, the floor plan, and the elevations. This was submitted January 30, 2020, pre-COVID-19.

2020_01_30_Kalamazoo_Kalsee%20Credit%20U

3. Capital Health Group - Drug Rehab Facility

This one is interesting, in that it proposes to rehab. a long-shuttered medical center to turn it into a rehab clinic at 1430 Alamo Ave. It was submitted to site plan review March 10, 2020, so right before the world went to hell. Like the first project, I have no idea if this thing still has legs. If it does, it's going to take some doing - I've been by that building a lot, and it is in rough shape. But it has a cool retro style and it would be really neat if it could be saved. Also, I find it kind of sad that it would be direct-adjacent to Fox Ridge Apartments, a public housing project that is notorious for violence and drug use. I mean, yeah, it's probably good that it is physically proximity to at least a partial portion of the population that it would likely serve, but how depressing is it do drive / walk / take the bus home to your apartment next to the drug rehab clinic? I feel the same way about the lower-income, single-family homes on the east side whos front yards stare right at the back of the Juvenile Detention Facility.

2020_Kalamazoo_Capital%20Health%20Drug%2

4. Water Street Coffee Joint - Drive-Thru Addition (Oakland Drive Location)

This plan review is recent (submitted November 16, 2020) - just really small. It proposes a small addition and site reconfigurations at the Oakland Drive Water Street Coffee location to equip it with drive-thru capability. Not much to comment on here - it makes sense in this time and I have no doubt it will go-through as planned.

2020_11_11_Kalamazoo_Water%20St%20Coffee

Site plan review (re)submission is up for the Kalamazoo Farmer's Market Phase 1 improvements. This includes a new office / restroom building, refurbished + expanded covered booth areas, and a TON of new parking. I don't have the earlier submission handy to compare to, but it doesn't look like anything substantial has changed. I think it was mostly just delayed by COVID-19.

2020_11_22_Kalamazoo_Farmers%20Market_Am

The Hilton Garden Inn opens to the public on Monday, November 30. This is a pretty big milestone for Kalamazoo, although the news is no doubt hampered a bit by the coronavirus. Its opening marks a few key things in my mind:

• The Radisson Plaza Hotel is no longer the only player in town, when it comes to downtown hotel facilities that are well-equipped to handle banquets, conferences, & weddings.
  • The Radisson Plaza Hotel is no longer the only player in town, when it comes to downtown hotel facilities that are well-equipped to handle banquets, conferences, & weddings.

• Arcadia West is finally seeing substantial development, after decades-long planning, and this hotel will help catalyze more development in the future.

• The historic Masonic Temple, which originally opened in 1915, has a promising new future as a hotel as it continues into its second century of existence.

Here are a few pre-opening photos from the past two weeks, posted recently on Facebook -

2020_11_23_Kalamazoo_Hilton%20Garden%20I
Source: Facebook | Hilton Garden Inn Kalamazoo Downtown

Source: Facebook | Hilton Garden Inn Kalamazoo