The Railyard at Lambert's Point (Under Construction)

vdogg

14 hours ago, Qdeathstar said:

Too bad no light rail stop... traffic on Hampton blvd is already a nightmare... I can’t see how this is going to help that.... 

Agree.  I'll continue to say that dismissing light rail on the west side is one of Norfolk's biggest missed opportunities in my lifetime.  And there have been lots of missed opportunities in my lifetime.  

• Like 1

It just occurred to me that The Railyard development seems very similar to Union Market in DC.  Union Market use to be full of industrial businesses, Korean owned mom and pop stores and Union Market.  Now its been repurposed with restaurants, a market with restaurants and new condos and apartments.  

blue-bottle-union-market.jpg

unionmkt-res.jpg

After watching the flyover I can't help but feel like this development could be so much more. Adding residential and more commercial would have made it more of vibrant destination....because clearly we have to drive to it. It looks like a glorified larger than normal brewery, I mean holy outdoor seating batman. Add a parking structure with residential. Incorporate old reclaimed railroad tracks throughout that embedded in the concrete pathways. Add some cool features like old train cars and cabooses for dining areas. Or have revolving food vendors set up shop inside of the old cabooses. Instead of having just a platform as a stage build it out of the side of an old railcar. You get the point, spare me the over abundance of out door seating to "chill" while sipping an IPA, wearing skinny jeans, dress shoes and Patagonia sweater. Some outdoor seating is needed but come on, it's "The Railyard"...it should be a little gritty and a little grimy looking. It should have an actual working fresh seafood market. It should have old railroad signs, flashing red crossing arms. Just more industrial and true to the "Railyard" theme is all I'm saying.   

I'm not upset at the project because it will be way better than what's already there. All I'm saying is with Norfolk's heavy rail history it could and should be so much more.  

Edited by Willy18

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Norfolk757Kid said:

LOL. I'm surprised there's no residential included in this. Or hotel component being close to ODU, hospital, downtown and the base. Maybe the zoning issues are way harder when you add in residential idk. 

It’s not a zoning issue per se. If the developer wanted to add a residential component that is currently prohibited they can request a change in zoning. In general the city has been very supportive of mixed use developments and these changes are rarely rejected. I don’t know why they chose not to add residential in this location but they’ll have plenty of room to add that component in the future if they so choose.

• Like 1

I think I identified my issue with this development and many like it in the 757:  

It's an urban development but isn't integrated into the existing urban fabric of the neighborhood!

Did I get it???  Like, why isn't this facing Hampton Blvd, a super busy street with plenty of visibility?  Is it the truck traffic?  Is Norfolk just looking out for NIT and the other ports??  "What's going on" here?

54 minutes ago, ONCE1stBlvd said:

I think I identified my issue with this development and many like it in the 757:  

It's an urban development but isn't integrated into the existing urban fabric of the neighborhood!

Did I get it???  Like, why isn't this facing Hampton Blvd, a super busy street with plenty of visibility?  Is it the truck traffic?  Is Norfolk just looking out for NIT and the other ports??  "What's going on" here?

The buildings fronting Hampton Blvd (from the railroad to 25th St) are already there and are being repurposed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The ARB agenda has been updated for February and includes signage approval for this project.

http://norfolkcityva.iqm2.com/citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=1230&Inline=True

In addition, the city council agenda includes the following ordinance to sell parcels from the city to the developer for this project. 

Screenshot_20200220-160452.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...