The Railyard at Lambert's Point (Under Construction)

vdogg

I think there's still a bit of hope for this.  These properties we're seeing being filled aren't far off from what was originally planned and flank the boundaries (especially the coffee shop).  The meat of the property (the entertainment/brewery/eatery portion) is that middle section that stretches west.   At this point, no tenants have been locked up yet for that space, but I hear they're trying.

• Like 4

I would bet they should be able to snag a brewery and a good eatery to that site. Bold Mariner used to be just a few blocks down and they did well enough to be able to move to that nice place in Ocean View, so the area is a proven location for a brewery. With a site like this tho, I would imagine we see a satellite of an already establish brewing company.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

Anyone upset about this project's direction should go drive by the site and tell me this isn't a massive improvement that will have a positive impact on the immediate area around it.

My only disappointment is the loss of the bowling alley, but that was pandemic-related and unavoidable. Hopefully it comes back in the future.

I agree that a brewery would be a nice fit. Even a small shopping center with a couple bars and breweries is a huge upgrade from the warehouses.

We have to stop accepting mediocre crap. Its why we never get anything good. Always a good idea and then it goes to crap. We need to have these projects go to high standards. Everyone says its better than what was there before and thats why we never get what we want

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Norva757 said:

We have to stop accepting mediocre crap. Its why we never get anything good. Always a good idea and then it goes to crap. We need to have these projects go to high standards. Everyone says its better than what was there before and thats why we never get what we want

I still think it’s a quality project. The major change is the use but the design appears similar.  Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good. I think boutique bowling alleys are cursed in the region though. There’s been at least five proposed that haven’t come to fruition. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 2/28/2022 at 10:22 AM, Arctic_Tern said:

I would bet they should be able to snag a brewery and a good eatery to that site. Bold Mariner used to be just a few blocks down and they did well enough to be able to move to that nice place in Ocean View, so the area is a proven location for a brewery. With a site like this tho, I would imagine we see a satellite of an already establish brewing company.

Was told that a new Norfolk brewery is moving into one of the spaces at The Colony (IPconfigure's HQ).

Edited by BeagleAccountant
Clarity

I'm still disappointed the bowling alley plans fell through because of the pandemic, so hopefully that returns at some point. I love craft beer as much as the next guy but I'd like to see Norfolk build a little more entertainment around the brewery culture.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 3:01 PM, HRVA said:

They’ve updated the flyer…

A1749ED1-3269-4EC3-93C8-4F3D9FA14AF1.thumb.jpeg.8fec4c74db04d4d83a4e9ab7cfb76ea2.jpeg

The flyer indicates each of these are under various levels of negotiations but obviously they feel confident enough to publicize it. 

Well, at least the Nail "Studio" and VA ABC have stuck by this project. LOL.  

Somebody please FLUSH THIS CRAP!!! 

1C89C8E5-59CC-4678-BB40-BF51543C610E.jpeg.7e183d3dec7d45779af20ca29f4bdb07.jpeg

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

For those of us who live nearby, I can say another brunch option (Broken Egg) is great, especially since they're local.  The Cycle Bar and Club Pilates will be good additions to the neighborhood.  And Nothing Bundt Cakes is a local biz that will be nice to support.  If they can turn the remaining open spots into a brewery (as originally proposed), a coffee shop (as originally proposed, please no Starbucks) and another local dining option, I'll be pleased.

There’s so many breakfast restaurants with a variation of Broken Egg in their name I wouldn’t be sure it’s the same as the one in Chesapeake (officially they’re The Egg Bistro - changed their name a few years back so it seems less likely it’s them). 

Nothing Bundt Cake is a national franchise but will likely be a local franchisee. 

But this development certainly needs something else if it wants to stand out like the pre-pandemic version. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BFG said:

I hope they bring back the bowling alley concept. They canceled it due to the pandemic, but it would be something different. Either that or an Apex or D&B-style venue. 

With Lidl taking that part of the development I don’t see a major entertainment component happening. Maybe something smaller but the remaining space doesn’t seem like it would support any of this. I hope I’m wrong!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ghentite said:

For those of us who live nearby, I can say another brunch option (Broken Egg) is great, especially since they're local.  The Cycle Bar and Club Pilates will be good additions to the neighborhood.  And Nothing Bundt Cakes is a local biz that will be nice to support.  If they can turn the remaining open spots into a brewery (as originally proposed), a coffee shop (as originally proposed, please no Starbucks) and another local dining option, I'll be pleased.

The problem is that these retailers (along with the nail salon, Jimmy John's and ABC) are low-rent, low-hanging fruit populating strip malls in the suburbs.  I don't want to see them here.

On the other hand, I have ZERO problem with high-end/better quality chains, in general.  Those that are not found in every suburban strip.  These chains provide financial stability to a development, invest significant cash into their build-outs, hire lots of people, pay large amounts of taxes,,,and draw big crowds which (hopefully) spill-over to other adjacent, local businesses. Chains also usually offer consistency of product and presentation. 

Starbucks, however, is a ubiquitous scourge on the shared community landscape, and so I would agree that we could do better there.  Personally, I would like to see an illy Cafe.  https://www.facebook.com/illyCaffeWilliamsburg/  Very nice.

255658310_452385422893874_3646079870136890882_n.jpg

273371192_505955897536826_6721381604566380689_n.jpg

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 11:46 AM, BFG said:

Of course they add Broken Egg after I moved back to Chesapeake. :lol:

I do love that we have one in Greenbrier. That's a great brunch spot and stays packed. Great pickup for Ghent.

Another Broken Egg is not the same as Broken Egg Bistro. Another Broken Egg is a franchise throughout the south and midwest. They opened their first in Virginia in 2021 in Williamsburg. 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2022 at 10:47 AM, Ghentite said:

A friend of mine is opening a brewery in The Colony at Lamberts Point, the old gas factory that IP Configure renovated. Sanctuary tacos is moving in there as well. That development is next door to this one.

• Like 3

• vdogg changed the title to The Railyard at Lambert's Point (Under Construction)
  • 2 months later...