The Railyard at Lambert's Point (Under Construction)

vdogg

On 12/13/2022 at 3:55 PM, baobabs727 said:

Thank you.  Adjusting my expectations...and booking my pedicure. LOL. 

"This" would not be "happening" in a comparable location in Richmond.  Sigh.

This current state of the development is a letdown compared to what was originally proposed. There is no denying that. But this is still a massive upgrade over the prior use of the land and will provide major aesthetic improvements to the immediate area and bring in new business that are convenient for the surrounding neighborhoods.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BeagleAccountant said:

This current state of the development is a letdown compared to what was originally proposed. There is no denying that. But this is still a massive upgrade over the prior use of the land and will provide major aesthetic improvements to the immediate area and bring in new business that are convenient for the surrounding neighborhoods.

I agree.

17 hours ago, BFG said:

Didn't the pandemic kill a lot of the momentum of this project? As disappointed as I am that this isn't what we originally saw, I can't blame all this on Norfolk being Norfolk.

That is correct. Will add that the same parcels have had multiple development ideas proposed in the past that never got started. So it's a huge relief to me that this one is actually being constructed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The loss of the bowling alley really hurt this project. A grocery store is good for the area but you also have Publix coming at some point so it’s not really as big a deal.

I know it was a pandemic-related move but they need to figure out a way to bring some entertainment to this project and make it more than just a glorified strip mall. If I were on council, I would not have voted yes unless there was an entertainment venue. It feels like they settled just to have something to put there. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 1:43 PM, Sky06 said:

I'd say there are about 5 or 6 buildings under construction at the moment.  Very busy today.  As for entertainment venues, I'm thinking compaines who build and run big entertainment projects to wait and see if the Railyard takes off first.  After all, there was nothing here before except empty, dilapidated buildings.  And the site is kind of separated from everything else like Ghent and downtown.  It probably would be a good idea to market all this to ODU students, although even that's a bit of a walk.  Plus the issue of parking.  Anyway, the grocery store(s) should help tremendously with spurring interest of other developers.  

IMG_4929.JPG

IMG_4934.JPG

They need a Pins Mechanical. Went to one in Charlotte this weekend and had a blast. Lots of arcade games from my youth.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 2/13/2023 at 9:26 AM, carolinaboy said:

They need a Pins Mechanical. Went to one in Charlotte this weekend and had a blast. Lots of arcade games from my youth.

Pins Mechanical sounds just like Pixels, a retro arcade and bar not that far away from this development on Colonial and 21st.

Edited by BeagleAccountant
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope they bring back the bowling alley or something for the nightlife. I dunno if there's even any restaurants or sports bars...ODU has Monarch Grille in the ground floor of the hotel next to The Ted, but they really need a true campus sports bar where you can watch the game or go afterwards to celebrate/drown your sorrows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2023 at 8:56 AM, SuffolkWahoo said:

That might be the lamest tennant list I have ever seen...

Literally nothing unique.  Well, at least its not run down blight.

MEGA GAME CHANGERRRRR YO!!!! 

Building 1 A was just leased to "CHICKEN SALAD CHICK!!!!!" 

Just let that sink in for a moment.  Please do have a chair standing by. 

🤣😂

Yes, because that is just what a man like me craves everyday.  Everyday. 

Every Single Day.

CHICKEN SALAD!!!!!!!!!!! 

OK.

BEAM ME UP!

I

AM

DEAD!

(and honestly so is this project to me) 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, BFG said:

I hope they bring back the bowling alley or something for the nightlife. I dunno if there's even any restaurants or sports bars...ODU has Monarch Grille in the ground floor of the hotel next to The Ted, but they really need a true campus sports bar where you can watch the game or go afterwards to celebrate/drown your sorrows.

Just go to North Colley, which is closer to ODU and both big stadiums than this project. Dirty Buffalo, Cogans, and University Pizza all give that vibe. There's also Hank's, Elation Brewing, Reaver Beach, and that new Craft place. 

If you must be on campus, go to hair or the dog or mojo Bones. Other good food options include Del Vecs and P Franks

• Like 2

I admit I forgot all about the North Colley corridor and was just thinking about this development, but that makes perfect sense. And it's within walking distance for most students.

Haven't been to Chorizo in forever so that's gotta change soon.

On 9/6/2023 at 12:42 PM, baobabs727 said:

MEGA GAME CHANGERRRRR YO!!!! 

Building 1 A was just leased to "CHICKEN SALAD CHICK!!!!!" 

Just let that sink in for a moment.  Please do have a chair standing by. 

🤣😂

Yes, because that is just what a man like me craves everyday.  Everyday. 

Every Single Day.

CHICKEN SALAD!!!!!!!!!!! 

OK.

BEAM ME UP!

I

AM

DEAD!

(and honestly so is this project to me) 

Here in NC we have a few of these. First time I heard of it, I was at Jersey Mike's and they were building something out next door. I asked one of the construction guys there what was coming there and he simply answered "Chicken Salad!" (like the homeless guy in Seinfeld who applied for Kramer/Newman's rickshaw "operation" and identified himself as "Potato Salad!).  

Left thinking the guy was nuts.... but turned out.... it's literally a restaurant for chicken salad... and it apparently is always busy.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, HRVT said:

Here in NC we have a few of these. First time I heard of it, I was at Jersey Mike's and they were building something out next door. I asked one of the construction guys there what was coming there and he simply answered "Chicken Salad!" (like the homeless guy in Seinfeld who applied for Kramer/Newman's rickshaw "operation" and identified himself as "Potato Salad!).  

Left thinking the guy was nuts.... but turned out.... it's literally a restaurant for chicken salad... and it apparently is always busy.

Decent place to grab a quick lunch but nothing to get excited about. The franchise chains filling this development were likely always going to be a part of the mix but with Three Notch’d and River City Roll dropping out, it’s really lost it’s luster, especially since Lidl coming in removes the possibility of large experiential business coming in like RCR would have been. It’s just another shopping center now. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, HRVA said:

Decent place to grab a quick lunch but nothing to get excited about. The franchise chains filling this development were likely always going to be a part of the mix but with Three Notch’d and River City Roll dropping out, it’s really lost it’s luster, especially since Lidl coming in removes the possibility of large experiential business coming in like RCR would have been. It’s just another shopping center now. 

I agree with that... Its an OK mix but nothing that changes the game or moves the needle. Looks like any ole suburban shopping center mix.

FWIW, I think chicken salad is disgusting but somehow, someone has turned it into a whole concept.

• Thanks 1