Downtown Raleigh... A visual tour - Part 3.

Raleigh-NC

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NoerffCarolina: Re-opening of Fayetteville Street Mall may, or may not be what most people think. Personally, I do not believe that it will add anything to DT Raleigh right now. If it does, it will be the perception... the image, if you will. If the small-town promoters win, then don't expect anything good outside some nice landscaping work. There are 3 different plans they consider for Fayetteville Street Mall; all of them are good, with their own set of pros and cons. If Raleigh needs to look somewhere for a model, that would be Tryon Rd, in my opinion. Fayetteville Street needs comfortable sidewalks and nice treelines... along with some nice landscaping work. What the new plans will do is limit the pedestrian activity to the sidewalks instead of the center. As is, people cannot realize the pedestrian activity, since people are spread all over the street mall. As far as street musicians are concerned, I am sure they will find a nice spot to continue their performance along Fayetteville Street :)

Cityboi: The plant life and greenery on Fayetteville Street Mall leave a lot to be desired. Sure, they are not eyesores, but they are far from being what they could have been. Don't get me wrong, Faytteville Street Mall is a very relaxing area, especially during beautiful days, and that is why I maintain that re-opening Fayetteville Street Mall is not going to be the solution, although it may contribute to the revitalization of the core.

Archived