BankTown Banking & Finance News

KJHburg

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

A major bank in Uptown is starting a pilot program to bring back workers into the office. 

it is about time if people dont start returning to uptown soon there will be no restaurants no retail shops for them as it continues to be a ghost town.  Our banks should want to protect their real estate investments uptown as well. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wells Fargo laying off people nationwide and Charlotte as the biggest employment hub will likely be affected.

However in the long run I think this means less jobs in California unless customer facing as they have already said to hire in high cost places requires more levels of approval.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/10/08/wells-fargo-job-cuts-commercial-banking-charlotte.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Is FifthThird the first major bank employer in town to bring corporate / non-sales employees back to the office Uptown? https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/10/28/fifth-third-bank-employees-return-to-work-covid19.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_23&cx_artPos=6#cxrecs_s

Yes they have only 300 uptown though.  But it is a start.  

• Like 2

On 10/16/2020 at 4:23 PM, atlrvr said:

They own a prime development site at Church and 4th if they want to make a big splash splash :shades:

Will be interesting to see if this benefits Charlotte, given scale now and their possible needs to access talent.  Charlotte is already an employment hub for CIT (IT and Commercial Credit)....I wonder if they grow it, or move those jobs to Raleigh.

These jobs belong in Charlotte to the same extent that high tech or pharma jobs should be in the Triangle.  It would be nice if they move the HQ to Clt and build a new tower.

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2020 at 5:40 PM, KJHburg said:

Hopefully some of these people will move to this region.  Interesting to note change of addresses have doubled in the last year since the same period last year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/31/why-high-earners-in-finance-and-tech-left-new-york-city.html

That would be good.  Most people leaving NYC are going to the NYC burbs.  Lots go to South Florida too, but that's always been true.  Most rich New Yorkers own property between Palm Beach and South Beach.

I'm my old town, Scarsdale, a lot of new estates are being built due to the demand, and there are a lot of bidding wars.

Anyway,  I still think that JP Morgan will bring jobs to the QC.  Hopefully, JPMC will built a new tower in the QC too.

https://www.houlihanlawrence.com/search/view//AddressAndLoc/10583

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With more banks coming to Charlotte, I'd like to see this list in ten years.  I think we'll be seeing a lot more Rolls Royces and Ferraris cruising around the QC.

https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/

Cities with at least ten billionaires:
134 New York
95 San Francisco
71 Hong Kong
70 Moscow
67 Beijing
62 Los Angeles
58 London
46 Shanghai
44 Shenzhen
40 Miami
38 Mumbai
30 Singapore
29 Guangzhou
28 Seoul
26 Hangzhou
24 Taipei
23 Dallas
19 Istanbul
19 Sao Paulo
18 Boston
18 Delhi
18 Paris
17 Bangkok
17 Tokyo
16 Chicago
16 Stockholm
15 Houston
15 Washington
14 Manila
14 Ningbo
13 Madrid
12 Atlanta
12 Bangalore
12 Chengdu
12 Toronto
11 Dubai
11 Geneva
11 Mexico City
11 Milan
11 Montreal
11 Seattle
11 Xiamen
10 Phoenix
10 Rio de Janeiro
10 Sydney
10 Tel Aviv

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

With more banks coming to Charlotte, I'd like to see this list in ten years.  I think we'll be seeing a lot more Rolls Royces and Ferraris cruising around the QC.

CEOs and top leadership of the nations largest banks are very very very far off from being billionaires. People like Jamie Dimon and Brian Moynihan are very very rich millionaires, but the folks that are billionaires in the finance & investments segment are by and large founders / top leaders of hedge funds, private equity, venture capitalists, privately held investment banks, et.

31 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

CEOs and top leadership of the nations largest banks are very very very far off from being billionaires. People like Jamie Dimon and Brian Moynihan are very very rich millionaires, but the folks that are billionaires in the finance & investments segment are by and large founders / top leaders of hedge funds, private equity, venture capitalists, privately held investment banks, et.

But I see Charlotte attracting more of those financiers.  They're who I envisioned when I broadly mentioned "banks."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rufus said:

Not to call you out specifically, but I just don't understand the desire to have all this wealth in the City. More billionaires doesn't necessarily equate with a better, more livable city. Having the most headquarters doesn't either. Having hyper-luxury retail doesn't as well. There should be balance. And honestly, Charlotte already punches above its weight nationally and globally. And it's clear that City leaders are trying to work on what already exists and letting that do the attracting to companies and people to the City. 

Let's continue to grow our startups and invest in our colleges and their research to help grow our venture capital economy. 

It's just happening.  When I first came to Charlotte in the  mid-90s, it was not remotely like it is today.   Where all of the new mansions in SouthPark are being built were very modest homes.  Cash is pouring into the QC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t know what NASDAQ operations are in NJ.  I’d assume that it’s back-office admin work, but it would still confer some cachet on the QC.

think it is their data center where the trades are done through the computers.  I think that is what all of this move talk is about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1