BankTown Banking & Finance News

KJHburg

Back to HFT (high frequency trading). I've resd a little about physical limitations and how that affects HFT resulting in strange co-location decisions or dedicated fiber lines of incredible length. I thought starlink might be able to be a game changer here. However, I've read 100% opposite viewpoints on whether it will. Does anyone know and can you show the #'s that make it so?

• 1 month later...

quick search shows Bank of America has 166 job openings here

Wells Fargo despite what you hear about layoffs (and there are some) has 354 job openings here  Most of any location nationwide

Ally Bank 118 jobs posted here   Most of any location nationwide 

US Bank 21 jobs all non branch related 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

quick search shows Bank of America has 166 job openings here

Wells Fargo despite what you hear about layoffs (and there are some) has 354 job openings here  Most of any location nationwide

Ally Bank 118 jobs posted here   Most of any location nationwide 

US Bank 21 jobs all non branch related 

Trust, Citibank, Regions, Citizens?  I'm pretty certain over a dozen each.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Citizens Bank of Rhode Island 13 jobs and non branch level as they have no branches mostly IT

Citibank 15 jobs

Regions 12 jobs 

Truist is too much to look for as they dont have one website for both banks 

Speaking of Citi, the rumor is they are turning Charlotte into a Legal, Compliance/Risk, Audit hub. I think I have said that before, but the jobs are showing it. 

Also Moody's is up to 300 employees in the area and looking to get into office space in SouthEnd. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Clemson16 said:

MUFG Union Bank has over 400 Charlotte employees, per my source.

and they are looking for at least 100 more 

ask your source if they are talking about a new office somewhere 

In other banking news T bank Truist is working greatly along its consolidation and reducing its footprint by 4.8 M sq ft across its footprint.  I heard they have even moved out of the old BB&T Center in downtown Winston their former HQ for that half of the bank.  I expect Atlanta to be hit very hard as they consolidate.  

from the Biz Journal

Truist Financial exec talks consolidation work - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

1. Story about MUFG Union Bank the Japanese owned bank with no retail operations here but 400 employees and they are looking for 100 more.  

MUFG exceeds local hiring targets, looks to bring on more employees - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

"""I am excited to see Charlotte be the ... most innovative pioneering hub of MUFG's footprint. Charlotte will be the place where we try new processes and new activities, and it's going to be the teams that really stretch us," Teague said.""

2. In an article about Rhode Island based Citizens Bank which has 140 person office here and again no retail operations.

""Rhode Island-based Citizens is supporting Black Girls CODE's plans to set up virtual groups to teach coding and other skills to young women of color. The project is targeting four cities — Charlotte, Boston, Phoenix and Providence, Rhode Island.  Lamont Young, head of digital banking at Citizens, said the team selected Charlotte as one of the cities because it is a talent acquisition and technology hub for the bank. It employs more than 140 people here.""

Citizens Bank, Black Girls CODE partner on virtual clubs to teach tech skills here - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Are we MUFG's North American HQ? If not, we might end up being so soon. 

Edit: Never Realized they were Union Bank. NVM... Hopefully we become a full scale hub though. 

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, atl2clt said:

I think New York City is more likely than Charlotte. Of the 17 people on the operating committee, 10 (59%) are based in New York City, 2 are in Charlotte, and then there is 1 each in San Francisco, Dallas, Chicago, Portland, and DC. The power of the company is very tilted to NYC now and it will seem odd to make an HQ announcement shift to a city like Charlotte that only has 2 senior leaders. They really have two options. Keep the SF hq in "name only" for history reasons / legacy or make an announcement that NYC is the HQ to align with reality.

What would be weird is: "Press Release: We're moving the HQ in name to Charlotte, but everybody running the company is staying in New York because we don't want to live there." 
The media will start asking questions again about why the CEO doesn't live in the HQ city, especially if they make an announcement about it. He clearly wants to live in New York and wants the operating team there around him. Several of the former-SF based execs like Amanda Norton made the move to NYC (probably to keep their job / relevance).

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^As much as I would love to see WF HQ'd here, their center of power has seemed to gravitate to NYC over recent years and I would expect Hudson Yards to be the HQ if WF ever left San Fran. 

CLT2014 posted something at the same time as me that sums it up exactly! 

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 1

In Ally Bank news they now employ 2100 people here in Charlotte 500 more than their "HQ" of Detroit and have hired 550 people in the last year here in Charlotte! 

Ally Financial becoming a bigger presence in Charlotte - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Financial sector employs 109,000 people in Charlotte area 9% of the workforce.  

• Like 4