BankTown Banking & Finance News

KJHburg

From Wells Fargo CEO about HQ location at the annual meeting 

as reported in the San Fran Biz Times on the exchange between the CEO and shareholder

""Specifically, Scharf was asked through a moderator reading questions, “When will the Wells Fargo headquarters be officially moved to New York City from San Francisco?”  The questioner noted that all the direct reports to the CEO, with the exception of three, are now on the East Coast. Two are in San Francisco and one is in Portland, Oregon.   “Furthermore, neither San Francisco nor California has been business friendly to the bank. Why not move?” the shareholder asked.   Those still hoping that Scharf, who is based in New York, would state a commitment – or otherwise – to keeping its headquarters in San Francisco are sure to be equally disappointed. 

“San Francisco is still very, very important to the company,” Scharf responded. “We have executives, and I’ll define the executives more broadly than the question was, in many locations around the United States.  “We have a hugely significant presence in North Carolina, for example, we have a hugely significant presence in Minneapolis, Minnesota, in Iowa, in Arizona, in parts of Texas, and other locations. We are representative of where there are significant populations around this country and that will continue.   “The importance of California to us is as strong as it ever was."

The question about Wells Fargo & Co. (NYSE: WFC) moving its headquarters out of San Francisco comes as some of the Bay Area’s most successful companies have relocated their headquarters from California in recent years, including Charles Schwab, McKesson, Oracle and Hewlett Packard Enterprise. All four left for Texas.""

all I can say about this is does not sound like a ringing endorsement of San Francisco in the long run. 

When will Wells Fargo HQ leave San Francisco? Here's CEO Charlie Scharf's answer. - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2

I see it moving to NY.  NY is the undisputed financial capital of the world, and it makes sense for a bank of this size to be based in NY.   NY's unparalleled role has swelled since Brexit, as it has no peers.  I also envision Wells being acquired by an investment bank at some point.

That being said, I can see them moving a lot more jobs to Charlotte.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

Yeah I don't really see many changes for Charlotte in this whole thing. At the end of the day, most of the management team is based in New York City now with the CEO, Charlotte is the largest employment site (and will continue to get lots of jobs), and the HQ in name may stay in SF or may move to NYC. Either way, I don't see it moving "on paper" to Charlotte so our role continues as largest employment site. 

If he moved the HQ to Charlotte, he'd get the same question every shareholder meeting. "Why do you and the management team live in NYC, while you say the HQ is Charlotte? That doesn't make sense." For the CEO, best to just keep up with the same story of the roots being in San Francisco, the official HQ isn't that big a deal, and we have many important locations around the country as a national / global brand. 

Calling their presence here a "North Carolina" presence rather than a "Charlotte" presence also doesn't give me any optimism he'd be looking specifically at our city as HQ. At least Minneapolis got name dropped. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Yeah I don't really see many changes for Charlotte in this whole thing. At the end of the day, most of the management team is based in New York City now with the CEO, Charlotte is the largest employment site (and will continue to get lots of jobs), and the HQ in name may stay in SF or may move to NYC. Either way, I don't see it moving "on paper" to Charlotte so our role continues as largest employment site. 

If he moved the HQ to Charlotte, he'd get the same question every shareholder meeting. "Why do you and the management team live in NYC, while you say the HQ is Charlotte? That doesn't make sense." For the CEO, best to just keep up with the same story of the roots being in San Francisco, the official HQ isn't that big a deal, and we have many important locations around the country as a national / global brand. 

Calling their presence here a "North Carolina" presence rather than a "Charlotte" presence also doesn't give me any optimism he'd be looking specifically at our city as HQ. At least Minneapolis got name dropped. 

I'd agree.

I interpreted his response as: "who cares which office is titled HQ."  We've got major strategy initiatives underway, and this name-game is a trifle."  I think I agree with him.  

BofA is headquartered here, so a financial institution doesn't have to have its sights set on a NYC HQ.  Having said that, the BofA CEO lives in Mass, and commutes to NYC and Charlotte at his discretion.  I'm much more excited about homegrown AvidExchange IPO-ing than I am about the prospects of Wells Fargo naming its Charlotte presence an HQ.

Edited by RANYC

14 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, if it goes a similar route to Palantir or other newer tech companies we might actually get a few Billionaires...

Yeah, I was thinking about that last night. If they hit their expected valuation I bet at least the CEO becomes a billionaire, possibly a couple others.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Charlotte is the fastest growing metro area with financial jobs. 

Charlotte Regional Business Alliance | Industry Spotlight: The Charlotte Region is the Fastest Growing Financial Hub in the Country

Though Phoenix is on our heels and actually has more jobs (they are a bigger metro area) most of their growth comes from California based firms expanding there in lieu of the Golden State.

and I believe there is a lot more to come. 

• Like 4

Goldman Sachs seems to ready to major expand into Dallas.  I wonder if they looked at Charlotte as they are the financial partners with Lincoln Harris on the Legacy project.  Wonder if we could get a slice of these jobs they adding in Dallas?

Goldman Plans New Dallas Campus, Extending Bet on Hub in Texas | Wealth Management

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Goldman Sachs seems to ready to major expand into Dallas.  I wonder if they looked at Charlotte as they are the financial partners with Lincoln Harris on the Legacy project.  Wonder if we could get a slice of these jobs they adding in Dallas?

Goldman Plans New Dallas Campus, Extending Bet on Hub in Texas | Wealth Management

The article mentions a Vanguard Group expansion to Dallas.  On this message board, I recall reading about Vanguard plans to expand to Charlotte and perhaps build a presence in Loso.  Does the Dallas plan have anything to do with a rumored Charlotte one?

If a wall street bank is going to move portions of its front office out of NY, I suppose it makes sense to look at the center of the country.  In-person meetings will remain important for servicing major deals/strategic transactions, and a Dallas-to-SFO flight time makes more sense than a CLT-to-SFO flight, if you're going to consider alternative locations to NYC.  Once upon a time, Chicago would have made sense here but Dallas seems to have the advantage these days. 

• Like 1

In terms of Vanguard I hear about an expansion here  is on then I hear it is off.  But here's a fact they have 437 job openings worldwide and 116 of them are posted in Charlotte. This is a big tech center for the suburban Philadelphia based firm.  59 jobs posted in Scottsdale AZ 20 jobs posted in Dallas almost all tech jobs.  They are still growing in Charlotte put what it means for future office space needs I do not know anymore except they had big plans for LoSo station at one point.  This recent new office in Dallas could have been the expansion for here but not sure.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

In terms of Vanguard I hear about an expansion here  is on then I hear it is off.  But here's a fact they have 437 job openings worldwide and 116 of them are posted in Charlotte. This is a big tech center for the suburban Philadelphia based firm.  59 jobs posted in Scottsdale AZ 20 jobs posted in Dallas almost all tech jobs.  They are still growing in Charlotte put what it means for future office space needs I do not know anymore except they had big plans for LoSo station at one point.

My sister works for Vanguard and at the beginning of the year she was saying her department has been considering staying WFH and that she's being allowed to hire people to her team anywhere in the country who will work remotely.  So I'm sure that would put a wrinkle in their LoSo office plans. Though that doesn't mean they won't change their mind and want to bring everyone back to an office.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In a story about hiring a new diversity chief for MUFG local operations this tidbit on their growth and what they do here in Charlotte.

""MUFG (NYSE: MUFG) continues to grow its presence in Charlotte. It opened an office at 615 South College in uptown about two years ago, pledging to add 300 jobs and create an eastern U.S. hub. MUFG has exceeded those hiring goals with additional positions added in engineering and risk management. Its website has well over 100 open positions posted for Charlotte.

MUFG's local office is for middle- and back-office teams that support clients. It does not have a retail or commercial sales presence here. MUFG's U.S. operations reported total assets of $331 billion as of March 31. Its subsidiaries are MUFG Union Bank, which operates more than 300 branches, and MUFG Securities Americas.""

Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group hires local Wells Fargo executive to lead diversity, inclusion efforts - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 3:43 PM, Blue_Devil said:

In case people didn't know Ally has already brought a lot of their workforce back. Wells is going to be bringing back their entire uptown workforce starting in October 3 days a week (Employees pick which three days with a strong emphasis of not taking both Friday and Monday as work from home). BOA is starting to bring people in now too.  

Friend is at Ally, said they shifted course this week and you must attest to being vaccinated to be on site and unvaccinated employees will not be allowed to return until further notice.

He said maybe 100 people have been  opting to come into the new office per day out of 2,000+ Charlotte area employees.

Will be interesting to see if the uptick in cases causes other banks to slow reentry plans. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

Good news Bank of America is donating 10,000 Chromebooks to CMS.

""Bank of America Corp. (NYSE: BAC) is donating 10,000 Chromebooks to Mecklenburg County students and their families. Distribution begins on Thursday with the help of E2D, the city of Charlotte, the county, Novant Health and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. More than 90% of the recipients are racially or ethnically diverse, BofA said. The bank is also promising 10,000 employee volunteer hours this year for tutoring and mentoring students. The Chromebooks are an approximately $6 million investment from the bank, said Kieth Cockrell, Charlotte market president at BofA.""

from Biz Journal

Bank of America, E2D and others distributing 10K laptops to Mecklenburg County students - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 4