BankTown Banking & Finance News

KJHburg

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

I highly doubt they move their HQ to Dallas.  I do think they would use a Dallas office to move many corporate jobs out of S.F. though.

But why not move some of those corporate jobs if that is what they are doing to Charlotte?   BoA has been consolidating their offices all over the country I know they anchored a new building in Houston and San Antonio.    I wonder if they consolidating their Dallas and Ft Worth offices into one metroplex office?  DFW metro is over 7 million and is a big market for Wells. 

• Like 2

and now this article has been updated again from San Fran Biz Journal.     The buzz is loud in San Fran biz circles hopefully the buzz will land with the Hornets here in the Queen City. 

from an updated SF  Biz Journal article 

Could Wells Fargo’s ‘Project Falcon’ land bank’s headquarters in Dallas? - San Francisco Business Times (bizjournals.com)

“It would almost be an insult to the business acumen of senior Wells Fargo executives if they haven’t been contemplating this move for quite some time now,” site selection consultant John Boyd said. “It shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone." One factor coming into play is the expiration next year of a powerful economic-incentive program, Texas’ Chapter 313 property tax abatements. The program’s expiration is expected to put a damper on Texas’ long streak of winning big economic prizes, some of them at the expense of the Bay Area, such as Charles Schwab Corp. and McKesson. But for now, it appears there’s something of a land rush to take advantage of the program before it ends.    Others see Las Colinas as a strong candidate to capture Wells Fargo’s headquarters. The planned community in the Dallas suburb of Irving in fact calls itself the “headquarters of headquarters.”  “Dallas really has emerged as one of the nation’s premier financial services markets and premier fintech markets,” Boyd said.  “Las Colinas is one of the most prestigious addresses in Texas,” Boyd said. In addition to ExxonMobil, other companies based in affluent Las Colinas include Kimberly-Clark, Fluor and McKesson, which moved its headquarters from San Francisco in 2019. McKesson initially billed its Las Colinas office as a regional office in capturing millions of dollars in economic incentives.

Asked how Dallas might stack up against Charlotte as the future site of Wells Fargo’s headquarters, site selection consultants were hesitant to publicly tip one over the other.  Vranich declined to say which city Wells should choose, simply saying: “Wells Fargo is not my client, but if they were my client, I would be encouraging them to relocate their headquarters.  “I can’t say whether Dallas is better than Charlotte or better than some other place,” Vranich said. “All I know is just about any place is better than California, especially San Francisco, California.”""

MCKesson, Flour, Charles Schwab all are in the Dallas Ft Worth area and all were from the San Fran bay area.

Here is a photo of Las Colinas a huge planned community with DART rail access to downtown Dallas and just minutes via DART to DFW airport.  

See the source image

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

God that place is 80s ugly....

I want to know more about this Wells space you say they are looking for in this area.  At one time they were going to lease 2 towers in Ballantyne but they only did one.  But I have heard of 40 plus story tower in the uptown southend area proposed too.   

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

More likely scenario if this is related to the San Francisco HQ:

• WF announces a new corporate campus in North Texas, consolidating most of their ~2,500 corporate employees there in one location and adding net-new jobs
  • SF is gradually downsized 50%, with most roles there split among Minneapolis, Charlotte, and the new Dallas campus
    • Note, just over 13,000 people indicate they work for Wells Fargo in the SF Bay Area on LinkedIn, they are still VERY large in the Bay Area despite the growth in places like Charlotte 
  • HQ shifts from SF to New York City, where the C-suite is actually located
  • Wells Fargo becomes a company headquartered in New York with major corporate hubs in Minneapolis, Charlotte, and Dallas. 
    • This would align to the other big banks like Chase and Citi that are headquartered in New York, but have large operations in locations like North Texas
    • Stock market and investors would think this makes complete sense. HQ the city where the execs actually are and move jobs to a cheaper location like North Texas from SF.
Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now this story from the Dallas Morning News seems to indicate a 400,000 sq ft office for Wells Fargo in Las Colinas outside of Dallas that might be more back office.   I agree with the above post some corporate functions maybe moved out of San Fran but who knows if it is the HQ.  Even moving lots of jobs but not the official HQ out of San Fran could save big money. 

Is Wells Fargo, code-named ‘Project Falcon,’ preparing to land in Las Colinas? (msn.com)

400,000 sq ft is big but the Wellls Fargo CIC on Harris is 2 million sq ft by comparison.  

• Like 1

LOL about Las Colinas.  Originally a 12,000 acre ranch called El Ranchito de Las Colinas was developed into a mini city.  25 Million sq ft of office space more than uptown Charlotte. Exxon Mobil is based there for example.  Imagine a Ballantyne but much bigger (6x the size) but with multiple golf communities and lots of office space.    This is their famous Mustang statue   Anyway I can see why Wells might be attracted there but now I think it is meant to be 3rd corporate hub and some consolidation of space in the huge Dallas Fort Worth market. 

they have an In N Out burger there and it is served by light rail of DART.    

See the source image

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

LOL about Las Colinas.  Originally a 12,000 acre ranch called El Ranchito de Las Colinas was developed into a mini city.  25 Million sq ft of office space more than uptown Charlotte. Exxon Mobil is based there for example.  Imagine a Ballantyne but much bigger (6x the size) but with multiple golf communities and lots of office space.    This is their famous Mustang statue   Anyway I can see why Wells might be attracted there but now I think it is meant to be 3rd corporate hub and some consolidation of space in the huge Dallas Fort Worth market. 

they have an In N Out burger there and it is served by light rail of DART.    

See the source image

Do you know what Exxon does in the DFW area? The HQ and nearly all of the XOM brass is in their relatively new mega campus in the Woodlands just outside of Houston. They consolidated the legacy Mobil campus in Virginia, the downtown Houston offices and many of the other outposts there in around 2014-15. 

1 hour ago, InTheYear2000 said:

Do you know what Exxon does in the DFW area? The HQ and nearly all of the XOM brass is in their relatively new mega campus in the Woodlands just outside of Houston. They consolidated the legacy Mobil campus in Virginia, the downtown Houston offices and many of the other outposts there in around 2014-15. 

Yes that is true but for some reason they still list Dallas and Las Colinas as their HQ but you are right they have a huge campus south of The Woodlands north of Houston believe me I tried to get in it.  Massive gates and fences so only a glimpse.  They vacated some buildings in Las Colinas and like you said in Fairfax too to this new campus. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 5:28 PM, KJHburg said:

I want to know more about this Wells space you say they are looking for in this area.  At one time they were going to lease 2 towers in Ballantyne but they only did one.  But I have heard of 40 plus story tower in the uptown southend area proposed too.   

Very loose rumors is that there were two more towers planned in Ballantyne next to the one already there.  However, my understanding is that the pandemic may have slowed (or stopped) that migration as new office space needs may have waned.  There is still a push to get mostly everyone out of Uptown.  However, CIC still has a TON of space and it just needs to be rehabbed (painfully so).  They want people in the cheap seats and not Uptown where rent is supposedly too high.  There will be a presence Uptown, but not nearly as much as it used to be.

• Thanks 2

In other bank news I went to an interesting Bank of America branch in Harrisburg last week.  Full size store front in a Publix anchored shopping center.  You needed your ATM card to enter the building.  Then you are greeted by not a human but a video screen.  There were 3 regular ATMs inside and 2 rooms where you could video chat with a banker located somewhere else. Basically there was not a human in sight and I saw someone talking in a room to someone by video chat.    This branch is probably a good idea to fill in areas and keep costs low.  Bank of America never opened a branch in Harrisburg despite many employees living here until Chase Bank came into the town and opened a traditional branch.  So you BofA customers check out this branch of the future. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 8:38 AM, KJHburg said:

Now this story from the Dallas Morning News seems to indicate a 400,000 sq ft office for Wells Fargo in Las Colinas outside of Dallas that might be more back office.   I agree with the above post some corporate functions maybe moved out of San Fran but who knows if it is the HQ.  Even moving lots of jobs but not the official HQ out of San Fran could save big money. 

Is Wells Fargo, code-named ‘Project Falcon,’ preparing to land in Las Colinas? (msn.com)

400,000 sq ft is big but the Wellls Fargo CIC on Harris is 2 million sq ft by comparison.  

I suspect that this is back office, and it may entail a huge chunk of mortgage servicing too, since DFW is the epicenter of that industry in the US.  I think that if the HQ moves anywhere, it will be to NY.  They're not worried about costs for the top 500 people.

P.S.: I like Cookout, but in the Triangle, at least, they're in filthy and disgusting locations.

• Confused 1

My periodic open job check and some  of these are posted in multiple cities but always include Charlotte.

US Bank 61 jobs

Truist 170 jobs

MUFG  119 jobs  and yet has no  permanent office space .....yet.....

Ally Bank  239 jobs

Wells Fargo 599 jobs!    178 jobs some cross posted in other cities for San Fran and 515 posted in Minneapolis

Vanguard   124 jobs

TIAA is harder to search and I did not want to search all their divisions 

Since the financial industry is our biggest user of office space it is interesting to see who is expanding and hiring here 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

My periodic open job check and some  of these are posted in multiple cities but always include Charlotte.

US Bank 61 jobs

Truist 170 jobs

MUFG  119 jobs  and yet has no  permanent office space .....yet.....

Ally Bank  239 jobs

Wells Fargo 599 jobs!    178 jobs some cross posted in other cities for San Fran and 515 posted in Minneapolis

Vanguard   124 jobs

TIAA is harder to search and I did not want to search all their divisions 

Since the financial industry is our biggest user of office space it is interesting to see who is expanding and hiring here 

Don't forget CitiBank with 23 and JPM Chase with 41 open positions. Citi is focusing on AML and Audit, while Chase seems to be focusing on Private Banking with some Controls and Compliance positions scattered in. 

• Like 4

Speaking of US Bank they have 950 employees which include only a few at their 2 current open branches.

From the Biz Journal about their next 2 branches

""U.S. Bank employs 950 people across its business lines in Charlotte, including corporate and commercial banking, investment services, risk and compliance and mortgage.""

""Minneapolis-based U.S. Bank will open two branches here in less than a year, including a new flagship operation in SouthPark. That 4,964-square-foot branch will be at 4525 Sharon Road and its largest one in the market. U.S. Bank is leasing the ground floor of the four-story building, which formerly housed Wells Fargo & Co. (NYSE: WFC), and plans to make significant changes. The SouthPark location is scheduled to open in the spring, said Dee O'Dell, east regional executive for consumer and business banking.  Earlier this summer, U.S. Bank filed an application with regulators to open a branch at 9836 Rea Road in Blakeney. That 4,263-square-foot location, a former SunTrust space, is scheduled to open in October, O'Dell said.""

How U.S. Bank is forging ahead with its local retail expansion - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 4