Jump to content

KJHburg

BankTown Banking & Finance News

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, TheOneRJ said:

Austin and Nashville do not have more financial talent than Charlotte. 

Very true. I do think they have tech talent. Blockchain is going to eliminate a significant percentage of Financial workforce.  I got approved for a BOA loan without going through a person and do all my banking online.  It's only going to accelerate. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 10/20/2019 at 2:59 PM, mpretori said:

Blockchain is going to eliminate a significant percentage of Financial workforce.  

image.jpeg.0e93c8495645bf0dcb1b4dab224324a1.jpeg

Financial jobs are gonna go away - like everything else - because of technology, not because of currencies that cost more to mine than they're worth....

Image result for hodor rolling eyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of 6200 open jobs globally Bank of America has on their website 824 of them are posted in Charlotte.  All this talk about Chase Bank moving jobs of NYC BofA has been doing this for years especially some of the jobs formerly housed in NYC.   Do a job search on their website.   I like the Ethical Hacker job posted LOL   Banking margins are razor thin and cost of employees and real estate are the 2 biggest expenses for a bank.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Of 6200 open jobs globally Bank of America has on their website 824 of them are posted in Charlotte.  All this talk about Chase Bank moving jobs of NYC BofA has been doing this for years especially some of the jobs formerly housed in NYC.   Do a job search on their website.   I like the Ethical Hacker job posted LOL   Banking margins are razor thin and cost of employees and real estate are the 2 biggest expenses for a bank.  

That’s true.  Because NY and London are obscenely expensive, only the top employees stay there.  The masses making $250k/year and less get shipped out.

JPMC is tearing down a 750’ tower on Park Ave and building a multi-billion dollar 1,550’ tall palace in its place that will house 15,000 employees.  Those are the top dogs.  Indeed, this will be the modern day Versailles for the King and his Court.  Everyone else will be going to Jacksonville, Columbus, Plano, and Delaware, and they’re probably elated.  Rather than struggling on a $125k salary in NY, they’ll lead pretty nice lives in those other areas with slightly less than that salary.

It’s a shame though that JPMC doesn’t send those jobs to Charlotte.  NC needs to pitch a good incentives offer to lure those jobs here.

 

 

C0F4B74A-DB7B-4824-9F7C-C13186F3B243.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Wow, the Chrysler Building looks so... small

Yes.  It’s getting dwarfed by the new supertowers.

Anyway, the diversification of banking jobs really is a golden opportunity for Charlotte.   I hope that the QC can lure more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Small is beautiful..  

DE68F766-8CEE-4F2A-AC89-C8D7C82EB93B.jpeg

That Small is relative is true.  It’s 950’ to the top of the building and a 1,050’ to the top of the spire.  
 

Anyway, I’d like to see Charlotte give incentives to attract more hedge funds.  They add a lot to the economy and support very premium office space and residential construction.

Maybe Tepper could support this effort.

Edited by SydneyCarton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s true.  Because NY and London are obscenely expensive, only the top employees stay there.  The masses making $250k/year and less get shipped out.

JPMC is tearing down a 750’ tower on Park Ave and building a multi-billion dollar 1,550’ tall palace in its place that will house 15,000 employees.  Those are the top dogs.  Indeed, this will be the modern day Versailles for the King and his Court.  Everyone else will be going to Jacksonville, Columbus, Plano, and Delaware, and they’re probably elated.  Rather than struggling on a $125k salary in NY, they’ll lead pretty nice lives in those other areas with slightly less than that salary.

It’s a shame though that JPMC doesn’t send those jobs to Charlotte.  NC needs to pitch a good incentives offer to lure those jobs here.

 

 

C0F4B74A-DB7B-4824-9F7C-C13186F3B243.jpeg

Is it the one one left or right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boricua said:

Is it the one one left or right?

The new Chase tower that will rise is on the right.  The tower on the left is 1 Vanderbilt which just topped out.  Two more 1,300’+ towers are planned in between them.

The Midtown East rezoning is precipitating the development of a lot of super towers.

I’d like to see Charlotte do something like that:  It has spurred the demolition of pretty big buildings to be replaced by gigantic supertalls.    A program like that in Charlotte would be fantastic.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any idea what the hold-up is with JPM retail branches in Charlotte? The press release from last year said we'd have branches by now, but as of today, Chapel Hill and Clemson are the only two Carolinas locations. Has there been a change in plans, or are they simply waiting for Truist to divest itself of branches that will be easy to pick up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in other finance news Charles Schwab in moving its HQ to Dallas and mentioned in the article in the San Fran Business Times is Wells Fargo next???  And yes Charlotte is mentioned! 

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2019/11/25/schwabs-moving-its-headquarters-will-other-s-f.html

41 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

Any idea what the hold-up is with JPM retail branches in Charlotte? The press release from last year said we'd have branches by now, but as of today, Chapel Hill and Clemson are the only two Carolinas locations. Has there been a change in plans, or are they simply waiting for Truist to divest itself of branches that will be easy to pick up?

maybe the latter as in the next year many branches will be sold off as Truist has something like 700 within 2 miles of each other.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Dallas.   In many respects, it's a better city than Charlotte (e.g., WAY better museums and cultural life, better shopping, warmer winters), but I find Charlotte to be a MUCH nicer place to live.  I'm surprised that Schwab chose the Big D over the QC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

they have a huge campus there that at build out could hold 7000 employees.

Now that Charles Schwab has left SFO maybe Wells is next and their CEO being up in NYC much shorter flight to CLT than SFO from NYC. 

It's interesting that most corporations in DFW are based in corporate campuses in the burbs.   It makes sense because people want to live in places like Southlake and Plano, and commuting thirty miles from those places to downtown would be a nightmare.  

I think that Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston have become too big and sprawling, and, as a result, have unbearable traffic.  

Charlotte, by contrast, is the perfect size right now.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.