BankTown Banking & Finance News

KJHburg

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

I heard a rumor about a bank that rhymes with Cayman Jacks… 

these Cayman Hacks have large offices outside of NYC/Jersey City in Dallas and 3rd largest in North America in Salt Lake City.

https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/featured-locations/index.html

Hmm I would think NYers Jerseyites probably would prefer a NC location midway to Florida and days drive back to NY.  There seems to a few people from that area down here now LOL.   and no one would ever think it would be the HQ just an office to get people out of a higher cost of living area.   and this certain bank was the investment money behind Lincoln Harris's Legacy Union so there is that.  Plenty of room Legacy 5 

oh yeah and that other bank Silicon Valley Bank with no local office (yet) has 75 job openings here.   That would be a nice name atop the Line wouldn't it? 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but is this coming from the same source as Centene HQ relocation to Charlotte is imminent?:tw_joy:

It’s been years now that a Bank with a horses and a stagecoach was coming in addition to a bank in the US. 

lol

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, RANYC said:

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but is this coming from the same source as Centene HQ relocation to Charlotte is imminent?:tw_joy:

That one hurts…. I have no idea what happened there. That source was a good one, now nothing. Won’t even talk to me about Centene at all…

3 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

That one hurts…. I have no idea what happened there. That source was a good one, now nothing. Won’t even talk to me about Centene at all…

The Centene CEO who started this huge Charlotte office is now dead and the new CEO is cutting costs on office leases across the country.   I thought they might move their HQ here but that was way before the CEO change.   The key will be will they sell their extra land across the street in the University Research Park?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/14/2022 at 10:24 AM, KJHburg said:

The Centene CEO who started this huge Charlotte office is now dead and the new CEO is cutting costs on office leases across the country.   I thought they might move their HQ here but that was way before the CEO change.   The key will be will they sell their extra land across the street in the University Research Park?

the writing was on the wall with Centene, and then, like you said, Michael Neidorff died a just over a month ago. That's a pretty big shakeup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Could that also result in a canceled Riverside project? Hopefully not! Seems like a great project!  Would be great to pick up another HQ if possible.

I think at the very least US Bank and MUFG consolidates its local offices into this tower which will get built I surely think.  Just heard about this bank merger rumor this afternoon and one of the reasons cited is lower stock valuations.   Goldman has wanted to get into banking like for regular people for a long time and be a big player in that consumer banking arena.   Is this right @atlrvr or I am not remembering that right? 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Reports in business media about US Bank merging with a PNC or Goldman Sachs buying US Bank.    (Just saw this mentioned on FBN)  That might require a new headquarters location especially if 2 banks merge wonder where a good spot would be?   anyone know of a 45 story signature office building coming out of the ground anytime soon?

in other US Bank news I had forgotten about this merger with MUFG which has a burgeoning office right here in Charlotte.  what if at the very minimum they joined their office with US Bank offices that would be a pretty big anchor tenants for lets say a 750-1M sq ft signature building?

https://www.americanbanker.com/news/u-s-bancorp-community-groups-reach-accord-over-mufg-union-bank-merger

Maybe they’ll purchase Truist, keep the HQ here, and dispense with the hideous signs that mar Hearst Tower and also their ridiculous name that sounds more like a health insurance agency than a large financial institution.  

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Could that also result in a canceled Riverside project? Hopefully not! Seems like a great project!  Would be great to pick up another HQ if possible.

I have a hard time seeing a merged PNC and US Bank putting a HQ in Charlotte, partly due to geography, partly due to labor supply.

RE Goldman: ironically they were strongly rumored to be the anchor for this project months (a year?) ago, but that chatter seemed to die out. Not an expert but I would not be surprised to see Goldman purchase a large regional bank.

7 minutes ago, kermit said:

I have a hard time seeing a merged PNC and US Bank putting a HQ in Charlotte, partly due to geography, partly due to labor supply.

RE Goldman: ironically they were strongly rumored to be the anchor for this project months (a year?) ago, but that chatter seemed to die out. Not an expert but I would not be surprised to see Goldman purchase a large regional bank.

that is what they mentioned Goldman buying a regional bank as it was someone who hears the whispers on Wall St.  but regardless I had forgotten about US Bank MUFG Union Bank merger which their tech center is growing here in Charlotte at Regions Wework office. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, atlrvr said:

^^^ to be clear, the MUFG Union Bank divestiture has no presence in Charlotte that I'm aware of.  I don't think so this impacts Charlotte at all.  The MUFG jobs already here will remain aligned with MUFG Americas.

There will be MUFG people in Charlotte who are aligned to U.S. Bank after Legal Day 1. I don't know the precise number but I do know for a fact it's > 2 and < 500.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Being between Charlotte and Northern Virginia will make that challenging for Richmond. Didn’t Capital One relocate to the DC area from Richmond? 

It’s just hard to see them getting big in the financial services given their geographical location and economic strengths. 

But why not try? Maybe there’s some economic benefits of Richmond I don’t know about that will let it build a meaningful financial services industry. 

49 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Being between Charlotte and Northern Virginia will make that challenging for Richmond. Didn’t Capital One relocate to the DC area from Richmond? 

It’s just hard to see them getting big in the financial services given their geographical location and economic strengths. 

I dunno, Richmond-DC rail distance isn’t much different than Midtown Manhattan to Stamford-Greenwich, an area that certainly captured more than its share of high-end finance jobs. Having said that, it certainly seems like every firm and their cousin was fleeing Southern CT for the city back in the pre-pandemic days. 

I doubt Richmond would see much hedge fund sorts of things, but I could see a substantial defense industry consulting cluster there. Particularly after VA gets its big rail project finished (which will certainly have a Pentagon station in the commuter network).

44 minutes ago, Mid South NC said:

All I can say is, have you spent any time in Richmond lately?  They have a long long way to go to rival Charlotte. No one wants to hang out in their downtown, other than maybe close the JR., other than that it's like a mini Baltimore. 

I haven't spent any time there, but thanks for the warning:tw_joy: