Wegmans Opens 100th Store in Raleigh

RALNATIVE

Well that is a bit fancier than my new Food Lion that opened up near me in North Raleigh a year ago.  I've never  been to a Wegman's.    I'll need to check it out (although we pretty much use Instarcart.com for getting groceries delivered).      I fondly recall when we visited the Whole Foods HQ store in Austin.  They have like 10 places for meal serving (sushi bar, pasta bar, beef grill, on and on). It was awesome.    We also visited the Earth Fare HQ store in Asheville.   That one was a let down. Just a big version of the normal store.       But this Wegmans looks badass!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

with 5 more stores to open up in the area.  2 in Cary, 1 in Chapel Hill, 1 in Wake Forest and the newest announced to be in Holly Springs. 

Yep. I think when they first announced sites in North Carolina, Cary was their initial choice. They also mentioned (in 2016) entering the Greensboro market (potentially) after Raleigh. No word since, but I imagine that this store is going to be a $$$ maker. Largest grand opening in store history and packed all day (today as well). I'd be really curious to see how much money they made on opening day. The prices are insanely low, cheaper than HT, Lowe's, Publix, and Food Lion, about the same as Walmart. Wonder how the grand opening will go for the 2020 store off Davis Dr in Cary/RTP. 

Will they ever enter Charlotte? There were literally charter buses carting people in from Charlotte yesterday. 

• Like 2

Just now, Raleigh Walker said:

Yep. I think when they first announced sites in North Carolina, Cary was their initial choice. They also mentioned (in 2016) entering the Greensboro market (potentially) after Raleigh. No word since, but I imagine that this store is going to be a $$$ maker. Largest grand opening in store history and packed all day (today as well). I'd be really curious to see how much money they made on opening day. The prices are insanely low, cheaper than HT, Lowe's, Publix, and Food Lion, about the same as Walmart. Wonder how the grand opening will go for the 2020 store off Davis Dr in Cary/RTP. 

Will they ever enter Charlotte? There were literally charter buses carting people in from Charlotte yesterday. 

according from sources in Charlotte Wegmans is looking around and I do anticipate them being here soon enough.   I will swing by Wegmans everytime I am in Raleigh for sure.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Raleigh Walker said:

I stopped by today and bought a few items at lunch. I was really surprised that some brand name facial wash that I purchased was 30-40% less than you find at a drug store or other grocery stores. For what you get the prices are insanely reasonable.

• Like 4

"An estimated 30,000 people visited the store on its first day of business – another record for Wegmans."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RALNATIVE said:

I stopped by today and bought a few items at lunch. I was really surprised that some brand name facial wash that I purchased was 30-40% less than you find at a drug store or other grocery stores. For what you get the prices are insanely reasonable.

I was really surprised too, and you can color me impressed for sure. I'm happy with the fact that this is the closest grocery store to my house, only a 4-6 minute drive or 10-15 minute walk. Most residents in my neighborhood were very concerned about increased traffic but I haven't seen any noticeable increase so far except now it takes 2 light cycles rather than 1 to enter/exit the shopping center. I'll take it. 

Honestly, I'm mostly just happy to be done with Harris Teeter for pretty much ever lol

59 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

"An estimated 30,000 people visited the store on its first day of business – another record for Wegmans."

Wow, that's quite the number. I wonder what today's numbers will be and I wonder what the first Raleigh Publix numbers looked like on opening day. 

• Like 1

I was really surprised too, and you can color me impressed for sure. I'm happy with the fact that this is the closest grocery store to my house, only a 4-6 minute drive or 10-15 minute walk. Most residents in my neighborhood were very concerned about increased traffic but I haven't seen any noticeable increase so far except now it takes 2 light cycles rather than 1 to enter/exit the shopping center. I'll take it. 

Honestly, I'm mostly just happy to be done with Harris Teeter for pretty much ever lol

Wow, that's quite the number. I wonder what today's numbers will be and I wonder what the first Raleigh Publix numbers looked like on opening day. 

You and me both. Adios HT.

On another note, I suspected that Wegmans coming to town was the reason why Kroger abruptly pulled their stores from the Triangle. I now am certain that I was right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 2:58 PM, Raleigh Walker said:

So I live a 10 minute walk from Wegman's and I regularly go on early morning walks. Today I walked to Wegman's and arrived at 6:30AM. The line was wrapped around the store on both sides and people were VERY excited, I'm talkin' strangers talking to strangers. Nice to see. Almost every single person I talked to was from New York, mostly Rochester/Buffalo/Syracuse but also the city and even LI which is funny, since Long Island has no Wegman's. I got a video and some pics:

Yeah but those LI people all "have a place at the lake" meaning a finger lake. 

Edited by Jones_

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Passing through Raleigh today quick stop at Wegmans and not crowded around 10 am on a weekday.  Did not notice the Wegmans train last time in the meat section.  as the dining area was mostly empty I saw how really big it is with all the seating even for kids. 

Hampton Inn photo too. 

IMG_8917.JPG

IMG_8918.JPG

IMG_8920.JPG

IMG_8921.JPG

IMG_8922.JPG

IMG_8924.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Wegmans will enter its seventh state when it opens its 100th store on Sunday. The Rochester-based supermarket chain will open a 104,000-square-foot store in the Midtown East Shopping Center in Raleigh, North Carolina, at 7 a.m.  I love to be at Wegmans for grocery shopping for special occasion  for better options. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kevipai said:

Wegmans will enter its seventh state when it opens its 100th store on Sunday. The Rochester-based supermarket chain will open a 104,000-square-foot store in the Midtown East Shopping Center in Raleigh, North Carolina, at 7 a.m.  I love to be at Wegmans for grocery shopping for special occasion  for better options. 

You alright?  This already happened quite a long time ago.  That or you're a bot.

58 minutes ago, DPK said:

You alright?  This already happened quite a long time ago.  That or you're a bot.

news travels slowly back to Europe in the age of covid.  

speaking of Wegmans the third Triangle store is opening in the next week in Chapel Hill right? 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...