Audubon Park/The Garden District/Baldwin Park

spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Andy will be shocked - Scott J is beside himself gushing about the service at Redlight Redlight on his first visit to their Corrine Drive location. He also liked the food trucks out front:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/51-american/4888-redlight-redlight-and-sushi-seoul-on-the-roll

Original Redlight was in Hannibal on a 2nd floor. Their growth is pretty amazing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/30/2019 at 9:21 AM, spenser1058 said:

How a Navy base 50 miles from the ocean became Baldwin Park:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/ask-orlando/os-op-ask-orlando-baldwin-park-david-whitley-20191230-xbhofn2ffvbxfcane6j65o2phi-story.html

From the Sentinel 

One of Mayor Glenda’s successes.

I think it's funny how the article omits any hint of controversy when telling the story about how BP came to be lol. Et tu, Brute?

Buddy allows the demolition of an old decrepit building to make way for the Solaire = bad. Glenda essentially gives away a large swath of land for free to a wealthy developer = good?? Don't get me wrong, both instances were necessary evils IMO, but it's just interesting to observe your bias. I may have been in my late teens when the land sale negotiations took place, but I still had the faculties to understand that she was being raked over the coals for it in the news. Just sayin'.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

I think it's funny how the article omits any hint of controversy when telling the story about how BP came to be lol. Et tu, Brute?

Buddy allows the demolition of an old decrepit building to make way for the Solaire = bad. Glenda essentially gives away a large swath of land for free to a wealthy developer = good?? Don't get me wrong, both instances were necessary evils IMO, but it's just interesting to observe your bias. I may have been in my late teens when the land sale negotiations took place, but I still had the faculties to understand that she was being raked over the coals for it in the news. Just sayin'.

As for the "news", the Sentinel editorial page agreed with how it was handled. As far as "giving it away", tax receipts in the ensuing years would more than make up for it (as opposed to zero tax dollars while it was federal property). As was pointed out at the time, no one knew how quickly it could be revitalized. There were a number of examples of closed base that lay fallow for years and caused problems in local areas. The fact BP did none of that is a success story, not a failure.

As to bias, I merely posted a tweet with no comment on the history. Given you have decided the City of Orlando under Buddy is an immaculate conception, I suggest you may be projecting. I still believe Mayor Bill is the best mayor of the modern era but even I have conceded he got several things wrong. Little did he know that his protégé would be Practically Perfect in Every Way. It is a miracle!

I should also add that every mayor in my lifetime managed to stay too long in the job and their final years were problematical. Mayor Bill in fact has said that 10 years should be the max after which burnout occurs (it certainly did for him). However, I recognize we seem to have a Cult of Buddy here that I have dared to question. Being in the minority, as I shared with dcluley last night, I am going to take a sabbatical and redirect my efforts in working to elect a mayor interested in the blind spots of the incumbent. I wish you all well as we go about our own ways of ensuring that Orlando remains The City Beautiful.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

As for the "news", the Sentinel editorial page agreed with how it was handled. As far as "giving it away", tax receipts in the ensuing years would more than make up for it (as opposed to zero tax dollars while it was federal property). As was pointed out at the time, no one knew how quickly it could be revitalized. There were a number of examples of closed base that lay fallow for years and caused problems in local areas. The fact BP did none of that is a success story, not a failure.

As to bias, I merely posted a tweet with no comment on the history. Given you have decided the City of Orlando under Buddy is an immaculate conception, I suggest you may be projecting. I still believe Mayor Bill is the best mayor of the modern era but even I have conceded he got several things wrong. Little did he know that his protégé would be Practically Perfect in Every Way. It is a miracle!

I should also add that every mayor in my lifetime managed to stay too long in the job and their final years were problematical. Mayor Bill in fact has said that 10 years should be the max after which burnout occurs (it certainly did for him). However, I recognize we seem to have a Cult of Buddy here that I have dared to question. Being in the minority, as I shared with dcluley last night, I am going to take a sabbatical and redirect my efforts in working to elect a mayor interested in the blind spots of the incumbent. I wish you all well as we go about our own ways of ensuring that Orlando remains The City Beautiful.

I was just taking the opportunity to play Devil's Advocate :tw_innocent:. But I highly doubt you would have mentioned one of Buddy's most controversial successes without taking a moment to at least sprinkle some sort of critique in there -- and rightly so.

Even though the columnist basically glossed over BP's controversies, at least he had the integrity to link to an article that explained the inner workings of the purchase in depth. There were many critics (including the OS--which did not blindly kowtow the former mayor's talking points) and the article the columnist linked to is one of the most in-depth and balanced articles that I've come across on the subject: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2001-11-04-0111040067-story.html.

Well if you also share the belief that 10 years should be the max, then you might also want to do something about Patty because I'm sure she's a little burned out after serving an even longer term than Buddy himself! Seems like a lot of the issues you have with Buddy are taking place within her own district and yet I've never seen you rail against her in the same manner. Cult of Patty or nah? I'm certainly not in the Cult of Buddy and TBH and it took me a while to warm up to him initially. There just haven't been any contenders for his position that offer a breath of fresh air. I'm content with his performance (although I would like to see more), but I don't have much of an axe to grind in any political race since I'm not a US citizen.

Happy New Year I wish you the best on your endeavor! ;)

13 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I was just taking the opportunity to play Devil's Advocate :tw_innocent:. But I highly doubt you would have mentioned one of Buddy's most controversial successes without taking a moment to at least sprinkle some sort of critique in there -- and rightly so.

Even though the columnist basically glossed over BP's controversies, at least he had the integrity to link to an article that explained the inner workings of the purchase in depth. There were many critics (including the OS--which did not blindly kowtow the former mayor's talking points) and the article the columnist linked to is one of the most in-depth and balanced articles that I've come across on the subject: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2001-11-04-0111040067-story.html.

Well if you also share the belief that 10 years should be the max, then you might also want to do something about Patty because I'm sure she's a little burned out after serving an even longer term than Buddy himself! Seems like a lot of the issues you have with Buddy are taking place within her own district and yet I've never seen you rail against her in the same manner. Cult of Patty or nah? I'm certainly not in the Cult of Buddy and TBH and it took me a while to warm up to him initially. There just haven't been any contenders for his position that offer a breath of fresh air. I'm content with his performance (although I would like to see more), but I don't have much of an axe to grind in any political race since I'm not a US citizen.

Happy New Year I wish you the best on your endeavor! ;)

I'm not certain why you think I'm thrilled with Patty - I'm not. Both @AndyPok1 and I have noted we've been interested in considering a run in her district. The reality, though, is that she is currently unbeatable. The truth is that the Orlando City Council has so little de facto power (as practically used in our strong-mayor form of government) that it really doesn't matter. I do admire Patty's role as the first openly LBGTQ+ commissioner and her constituent service tends to be top notch.

Having said that, I have noted previously Orlando's elected officials are mostly too long in their seats to bring in new ideas and I'd like to replace most of them.

Most of the items I post are just things to keep the forum going whenever there's a lull, in order to spur discussion. This was one of those, just a little bit of the history that might be of interest. I had no idea it would be controversial at this point.

One other thing about Orlando politics - there is a not unusual but in our case extreme reluctance to run against an incumbent. To identify those best suited to move forward, Buddy will have to signal his decision to step down. A mature city usually doesn't encounter such reticence, but I guess we ain't Chicago (where folks were more than willing to take on Rahm, for example).

Edited by spenser1058

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I'm not certain why you think I'm thrilled with Patty - I'm not. Both @AndyPok1 and I have noted we've been interested in considering a run in her district. The reality, though, is that she is currently unbeatable. The truth is that the Orlando City Council has so little de facto power (as practically used in our strong-mayor form of government) that it really doesn't matter. I do admire Patty's role as the first openly LBGTQ+ commissioner and her constituent service tends to be top notch.

Having said that, I have noted previously Orlando's elected officials are mostly too long in their seats to bring in new ideas and I'd like to replace most of them.

Most of the items I post are just things to keep the forum going whenever there's a lull, in order to spur discussion. This was one of those, just a little bit of the history that might be of interest. I had no idea it would be controversial at this point.

One other thing about Orlando politics - there is a not unusual but in our case extreme reluctance to run against an incumbent. To identify those best suited to move forward, Buddy will have to signal his decision to step down. A mature city usually doesn't encounter such reticence, but I guess we ain't Chicago (where folks were more than willing to take on Rahm, for example).

Oh my response wasn't meant to be taken as controversial... I was just playing Devil's Advocate to spur discussion as well. Most of your grievances occur within her district but you never seem to hold her to the same level of accountability for some reason. I would think as commissioner of the district, she would be regarded as more than just a figurehead. :dontknow: Nvm, I'll let it go now lol

On 1/1/2020 at 8:28 AM, spenser1058 said:

To your point that commissioners have limited power, I have noticed that a lot of the younger generation of leaders have seen that they can be more effective on staff - folks like Chris Castro, Kathy DeVault, and Chris McCullion come to mind - guiding policy and pushing projects big and small forward without the instability and exposure that come with public office. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Salty Donut Shoppe, a Miami chain, may be opening in the old Gene’s auto shop. Hopefully,  that will spiff up the old service station a little if they do.

https://bungalower.com/2020/01/22/the-salty-donut-shoppe-opening-in-audubon-park/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058

The Salty Donut Shoppe, a Miami chain, may be opening in the old Gene’s auto shop. Hopefully,  that will spiff up the old service station a little if they do.

https://bungalower.com/2020/01/22/the-salty-donut-shoppe-opening-in-audubon-park/

From Bungalower 

I am SO happy. I'm from Miami and their doughnuts are out of this world. 

Orlando has quite the amazing baked goods scene. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

A new clothing store for men, women and kids (plus skateboards!?!) is coming to Corrine Drive, Showroom 11.

I’m excited to see retail besides yet another restaurant. It’s also interesting to see the more creative independent retail these days is going to the Main Street districts instead of downtown.

That’s a complete turnabout from what was happening and what we envisioned when the restoration of downtown first occurred. I suppose it’s a combination of “the rent is too damn high” and an administration focused on large corporate development.

Anyway, best of luck to them!

https://bungalower.com/2020/05/21/new-apparel-shop-showroom-11-opening-in-audubon-park/

From Bungalower 

Update on The Salty Donut - it looks like it’s a go. Also, a rendering of the redo of the space:

https://bungalower.com/2020/05/27/the-salty-donut-definitely-opening-in-audubon-park/

From Bungalower 

Change the name to Audubon Park Dessert District!  So many great options in the neighborhood (although Bluebird has closed).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 12:42 PM, smileguy said:

Change the name to Audubon Park Dessert District!  So many great options in the neighborhood (although Bluebird has closed).

Agreed. It’s amazing.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:16 AM, spenser1058 said:

Update on The Salty Donut - it looks like it’s a go. Also, a rendering of the redo of the space:

https://bungalower.com/2020/05/27/the-salty-donut-definitely-opening-in-audubon-park/

From Bungalower 

The site has active construction on it. Some fencing and digging going on. So excited! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Creative City Project will be taking over the holiday festivities at the City’s Harry P. Leu Gardens this year, featuring a high concept tree and light show.

Although it sounds exciting, $22/person at a city venue is a bit dear so I’m glad the folks under The Dome passed on turning over Eola Park’s activities to them.

Parking at Leu will have an as of yet undisclosed fee - parking without charge will be a hike over to Blue Jacket Park. If you bring the kids that should definitely tucker them out as well as your holiday budget...

https://bungalower.com/2020/09/21/creative-city-project-announces-holiday-light-show-takeover-at-leu-gardens/

From Bungalower 

On 5/28/2020 at 9:57 AM, popsiclebrandon said:

When I was talking to architects I talked to Storyn and he told me about this project. Surprised they were coy for so long about it. Also his fee is crazy and if their construction costs are only 200k then they are paying over 30% of that cost to the architect on top. It will be a monster hit.

It must of gotten VE'd because it looks nothing like the renderings on Storyns website.  No brick, No steel windows. No large glass garage doors. This thing got Orlandoed bigtime.

• 4 weeks later...