The politics of developement

MJLO

Hi, MJLO.

I share you sentiments about the HPC.

I also think you're on the right track regarding Fulton & Division. I can still remember when that spot was anchored by Herp's and thriving small businesses within a couple of blocks. I always thought a Meijer's would have been a good use for the Herp's building, along with a nearby gas station and movie theater. You know, all the ordinary types of businesses people need in the neighborhood they live in.

Regards, Bill

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, Bill...

I would love to see the article on your arrest warrant sometime.

Maybe the DeVos hotel answer lies in promises made - to which I am not privy, alas. Or perhaps someone has a skeleton somewhere just waiting to be exposed.

I do know that in the very beginning of the Amway business, Vos Construction took a huge chance taking on projects for DeVos and VanAndel (when they didn't have $$$) and Amway rewarded them with undying loyalty and lotsa $$$$$.

I'm with you guys on getting rid of the JA building. The poor thing really ought to call it a day.

Budgie

Well the Isreals people probabally sold the location willingly, It's in a section of town where ordinances are right for that high of a building. Im sure Devos picks and chooses his battles, and that location is not very contraversial, other than the fact that none of the nay-sayers were griping about the building coming down. Alticor even molded the design of the hotel to appease people. Im not saying that it's necessarily political hypocracy on the part of the developer. My original intent on this post, was why is it so hard, for anyone to build anything else downtown. All other proposals I have seen have been met with vehement opposition, with the biggest blow being, "make your building shoter". Does anyone know if Grooters, has had approval to build Riverhouse 371ft tall, or do you think that city planners will go to war with him about that, Im sure there's someone who lives on the hill who will be mad about not being able to fully see the west side after it would be built.

I suspect that Grooters either has approval - or knows he has the necessary support. I do recall that he actually did go in front of the Commission a few months ago - but details of the project were not forthcoming at the time.

Whatever the case, the Planning Commission and the Historic Commission are really toothless wonders. They can make suggestions, but whatever the City Commission agrees to trumps them - even in the case of zoning law. It is a way of filtering requests for development and issues before they get the the City Commission and overflow them with unnecessary voting.

Hi, Budgie.

>>I would love to see the article on your arrest warrant sometime.<<

I don't recall what the G.R. Press did. The G.R. Business Journal should have it in their archives. I think Fox 17 covered it the time too. This would've been about three years ago. The fact that I had filed a lawsuit against Logie and the City of Grand Rapids for using the Monroe Avenue Water Filtration Plant as an unlicensed hazardous waste landfill I'm sure had nothing to do with the whole brouhaha. ;)

Regards, Bill

Hi, Budgie.

>>I would love to see the article on your arrest warrant sometime.<<

I don't recall what the G.R. Press did.  The G.R. Business Journal should have it in their archives.  I think Fox 17 covered it the time too.  This would've been about three years ago.  The fact that I had filed a lawsuit against Logie and the City of Grand Rapids for using the Monroe Avenue Water Filtration Plant as an unlicensed hazardous waste landfill I'm sure had nothing to do with the whole brouhaha. ;)

Regards, Bill

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm assuming this is you in this article too? :Dhttp://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde...27538240520.xml

Hi, Mike.

Yep, that was me. The Boardwalk site was the source of the contamination that was dumped at the Filtration Plant up the street. My family got involved when the Boardwalk developers used the driveway to our plant as an exit for hauling out their hazardous waste and spilling it everywhere.

Regards, Bill

Unfortunately Bill isn't hear to discuss it, but I always found his actions (and not even counting the whole Boardwalk issue) to be anti-progress. He pretty much fought every development in North Monroe that was not industrial. I would love to debate him on this, but alas, he is no longer a member.

Joe

Hi, Mike.

Yep, that was me.  The Boardwalk site was the source of the contamination that was dumped at the Filtration Plant up the street.  My family got involved when the Boardwalk developers used the driveway to our plant as an exit for hauling out their hazardous waste and spilling it everywhere.

Regards, Bill

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just found this website... great stuff !

The HPC is both necessary and inconsistent. Their mission is great, their leader is suspect. A bit over the top.

There are inconsistencies. BUT, they don't even hold a candle to the struggles developers face when dealing with local building inspectors.

The real time and money gets spent in dealing with our inspections departments. Now granted, I've done things to piss them off (didn't have time to get a permit, etc) and they rightfully hung me out to dry. But, fer' cryin out loud if the City economic development office is going to give us free money (BRIP grants, areaway infill grants, environmental grants, etc) then they gotta let us spend it.

Having renovation jobs shut down because an inspector wants us to have an engineer write an essay about how fire-retardant a certain drywall coating is that I'm using in the renovation of a 100-yr. old building ? That's just stupid.

One foot on the gas, one on the brake....

Wow, I didn't realize there was that much red tape in historic renovation!

I agree, the HPC can be a goon squad. I think it is definitely needed but they get silly sometimes. Like the Purple East building for instance. I didn't want to see another building mowed over for parking, but that building did not exactly scream "save me".

And when they started in with the historic value of the city / county building I about puked. Even the architects that worked on the original buildings thought they were worthless. I'm all for varying styles of architecture but "big ugly black box" doesn't apply. :)

Joe

Just found this website... great stuff !

The HPC is both necessary and inconsistent.  Their mission is great, their leader is suspect.    A bit over the top.

There are inconsistencies.  BUT, they don't even hold a candle to the struggles developers face when dealing with local building inspectors.

The real time and money gets spent in dealing with our inspections departments.  Now granted, I've done things to piss them off (didn't have time to get a permit, etc) and they rightfully hung me out to dry.  But, fer' cryin out loud if the City economic development office is going to give us free money (BRIP grants, areaway infill grants, environmental grants, etc) then they gotta let us spend it.

Having renovation jobs shut down because an inspector wants us to have an engineer write an essay about how fire-retardant a certain drywall coating is that I'm using in the renovation of a 100-yr. old building ?  That's just stupid.

One foot on the gas, one on the brake....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And when they started in with the historic value of the city / county building I about puked. Even the architects that worked on the original buildings thought they were worthless. I'm all for varying styles of architecture but "big ugly black box" doesn't apply. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, the International Style never made my top ten either. But remember also, Joe, the county building's dirty roof is 'art'. (I suppose it isn't important that no one can see it.) Still, I'm all for the appreciation of art -- they should take a nice photo before destroying it. ^_^

Archived