Pulse Memorial and Museum [PROPOSED]

smileguy

The onePULSE Foundation has released six conceptual designs that are on the table for their National Pulse Memorial and Museum project.

The designs will be on display at the Orange Country Regional History Center through October 10. Following the exhibition, a curated jury will vote on the winning design team. A press release issued by the foundation states that public comments gleaned during the exhibition will be given to the jury panel to help steer their decision process.

The exhibition will be on display Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. and noon-4 p.m. on Sunday at the History Center.

https://onepulsefoundation.org/international-design-competition/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Here are some renderings from each proposed design, all of which connect the memorial site (nightclub) with museum and Orlando Health Survivors' Walk leading to Downtown. 

Full design packages here: https://onepulsefoundation.org/international-design-competition/ 

Coldefy & Associés with RDAI, HHCP Architects, Xavier Veilhan, dUCKS scéno, Agence TER, Prof. Laila Farah
01-Coldefy-Overall-Perspective-1800x1245.thumb.jpg.0e446744638c533062047f66153a1921.jpg

Diller, Scofidio + Renfro and Rene Gonzalez Architects with Raymond Jungles, Teresita Fernández, and Oliver Beer

04-DSR-Museum-Exterior-1800x1014.thumb.jpg.896899a64ad38fab4fae062ebae02ae1.jpg

heneghan peng architects, Wannemacher Jensen Architects, Gustafson Porter + Bowman, Sven Anderson, Pentagram, and Bartenbach LichtLabor
04-heneghan-peng-Museum-Exterior_resized_09202019-1800x810.thumb.jpg.3779df49be95e5fd2b870783e38b7324.jpg

MASS Design Group, Little Diversified Architectural Consulting, Ralph Applebaum Associates, Sasaki, Sanford Biggers, Richard Blanco, Porsha Olayiwola
03-MASS-Memorial-Night-1800x1013.thumb.jpg.decdadde6c0b1a999ad45e7d3a5e2460.jpg

MVRDV, McKenzie Architects, Grant Associates, GSM Project and Studio Drift

02-MVRDV-Memorial_Day-1800x1013.thumb.jpg.dd38bc55599cd552abf97337cd10383a.jpg

Studio Libeskind with Baker Barrios Architects, Claude Cormier + Associés, Thinc, and Jenny Holzer
03-Studio-Libeskind-Memorial-Night_resized_09202019-1800x1012.thumb.jpg.cb20835210e07196321201511e2972d3.jpg

Edited by smileguy
  • Like 2

Intrigued to say the least.  I pretty much shot from the hip when I said that significant would be connecting the museum (US Foods site) to the on-site memorial.   

Transformational for sure.   I wonder how everyone is envisioning Kaley down the road between the changes to I-4 (pushing truck traffic off of local roads up to Michigan) and then this type of project.

um... WOW!!!

I'm very impressed and had no idea they were working on something of this scale. All of these concepts are incredible and getting these firms to participate in phenomenal work... but are these sort of concepts funded? 

Again, wow... some really beautiful work that would truly be transformative to the area.

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

um... WOW!!!

I'm very impressed and had no idea they were working on something of this scale. All of these concepts are incredible and getting these firms to participate in phenomenal work... but are these sort of concepts funded? 

Again, wow... some really beautiful work that would truly be transformative to the area.

Not completely funded yet.  They will be getting $10 Million in TDT, some support from the City when it comes to road improvements, etc. and the development team they are putting together is top-notch and will continue to be raising money across the country and internationally for this project.

Wow.  This would rival anything in the entire city if one of the first three are chosen.  Massive in scale.

I think I'm missing some important info, though.  I understand the memorial as this was the worst mass shooting in the US, although  this horrible event unfortunately didn't stand very long as the worst due to that idiot in Las Vegas.  What would be going in the museum part that would require this much space?  Is it going to house other pieces?  Are there enough artifacts from this event that require an entire large-scale museum?  Would this roll into a museum standing for more hate-related crimes and intolerance around the world?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Wow.  This would rival anything in the entire city if one of the first three are chosen.  Massive in scale.

I think I'm missing some important info, though.  I understand the memorial as this was the worst mass shooting in the US, although  this horrible event unfortunately didn't stand very long as the worst due to that idiot in Las Vegas.  What would be going in the museum part that would require this much space?  Is it going to house other pieces?  Are there enough artifacts from this event that require an entire large-scale museum?  Would this roll into a museum standing for more hate-related crimes and intolerance around the world?

Here are the goals the Foundation shared as part of the design competition (from their website).

Pulse Museum

The museum will be a dignified place for remembrance, education, inspiration, and hope. The museum will be elegant, welcoming, respectful, and reflective.

The architecture of the Pulse Museum will be iconic.

The museum program is under development and the continuation of this development is considered part of the winning Design Team’s scope of work. The permanent collection of the museum will revolve around 7,000 artifacts from the nightclub and the aftermath of the tragedy currently stored at the Orange County Regional History Center and 225 oral histories that the History Center took from those affected.

The Pulse Museum program will:

• Communicate the events of June 12, 2016
  • Address issues of intolerance
  • Address the history of LGBTQ+ spaces and their importance
  • Address inclusion and diversity
  • Explore how such attacks can be prevented systemically
  • Examine how to make the world a more empathetic and compassionate place
  • Inspire change, start conversations in new places and serve as catalyst for global discussion and discourse

It is anticipated that the Pulse Museum will be 30,000 square feet, plus outdoor, public gathering and performance space.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:40 AM, HankStrong said:

I hate to say it, but regarding those massive structures proposed for W. Kaley at Division, it kind of looks like they're trying to turn it into another Orlando tourist attraction. I totally understand turning the nightclub itself into a significant and impressive memorial, but the rest of it looks a bit gaudy and on the grandiose side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/5/2019 at 11:40 PM, JFW657 said:

I hate to say it, but regarding those massive structures proposed for W. Kaley at Division, it kind of looks like they're trying to turn it into another Orlando tourist attraction. I totally understand turning the nightclub itself into a significant and impressive memorial, but the rest of it looks a bit gaudy and on the grandiose side.

There are a lot of questions about the stewardship of the OnePulse Foundation and I think they need to be resolved before anything like this happens. I don't get the point of the museum even and spending millions on it just feels like an attempt to justify their large salaries.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Help me get my bearings.

• So this is from the East side of Orange
  • Kaley is on the right
  • Esther is on the left
  • The substation, the tint place, the doctor's offices, and the OC Work Release center all stay
  • Across the tracks that giant museum building with the cool hollow nuclear reactor shape is going in

Is that correct?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Meanwhile, for the actual people who lived the Pulse tragedy, things aren’t going so well:

https://twitter.com/carlosgsmith/status/1206756938714886144?s=21

What kind of organization is this? Government? Nonprofit? It seems like it's time to hire a fundraising staff. 

• 2 months later...