Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

Been there. They had a baby shower a couple weeks ago.

Things aren't always what they seem.

Everything you hear and read, even here, isn't necessarily true.

Information is power; rumors are rumors.

So i guess it's safe to assume that they aren't affiliated with anybody.

I'll add my two cents too! Without pics though

• i always wished the "beer" building would turn into an ice cream/hot dog walk up kind of place...however, when talking to the WSB owners (who just bought it) they said there's no way to bring it up to code. after you take out the cinder block dimensions, the inside is less than 6 feet in width. not enough for today's requirements

• GR Grid Girl mentioned the buildings across from the bakery being owned by Jeff Bentley. He does in fact own that building, lives in the house across Wealthy and the empty lot next to it. He flat out refuses to sell, and believe me, there have been offers. There is a huge family history there with a ton of legalities that hopefully sooner than later could be reconciled and someone could make that a VERY cool spot.

• "Developing soon" buildings are in much the same situation. The owner wants a TON of money for these properties. Many people have made offers - including one who even started demolition upstairs - i had high hopes for that, but everything keeps falling through and he's fired yet another realtor. if anyone wants to buy it and can speak Spanish well, you could maybe try to cut a deal again. though he's rather set on his price - even though he bought it for a couple thousand bucks a bunch of years back.
  • eToys IS a hair salon and it is owned by Ron and his wife, of Ron's Car Wash, NW corner of Eastern/Wealthy
  • The white building with blue trim that has a Coldwell Banker SOLD sign out front...rumor has it...a brewery? but i have only heard that from one mouth and it wasn't the horse's mouth.

When those buildings come up for sale, the big question is who will be brave enough to join in the Wealthy Street retail resurgence!?

My theme song with these old buildings & new retail, an exerpt from George Harrison's "Got My Mind Set on You",

But it's gonna take money

a whole lotta spending money

It's gonna take plenty of money to do it right

child.

It's gonna take time

a whole lotta precious time

It's gonna take patience and time to do it

to do it...

ah yes, you know the rest.

I heard rumors of the car wash going out and being demolished in the not so distant future. Any truth to that? It would be sad to see it go as it's kind of a staple to the 'hood. And what's with the shoddy paint job that was applied to the building on the SE corner of Eastern and Wealthy. Seems like a waste to me, I would have a hard time saying it looks better.

GR Grid Girl mentioned the buildings across from the bakery being owned by Jeff Bentley. He does in fact own that building, lives in the house across Wealthy and the empty lot next to it. He flat out refuses to sell, and believe me, there have been offers. There is a huge family history there with a ton of legalities that hopefully sooner than later could be reconciled and someone could make that a VERY cool spot.

What a shame.

Been there. They had a baby shower a couple weeks ago.

Things aren't always what they seem.

Everything you hear and read, even here, isn't necessarily true.

Information is power; rumors are rumors.

This boggles the mind. Black onesies? Leather diaper covers? "MOM" tattoos?

[wears leather on the inside]

[*]"Developing soon" buildings are in much the same situation. The owner wants a TON of money for these properties. Many people have made offers - including one who even started demolition upstairs - i had high hopes for that, but everything keeps falling through and he's fired yet another realtor. if anyone wants to buy it and can speak Spanish well, you could maybe try to cut a deal again. though he's rather set on his price - even though he bought it for a couple thousand bucks a bunch of years back.

Juan Monegro bought the building from the city for $60,001 at a poorly advertised auction. It is now owned, as previously mentioned, by Brian Vanfarowe, 517 Livingston. Break open your piggy bank.....

I heard rumors of the car wash going out and being demolished in the not so distant future. Any truth to that? It would be sad to see it go as it's kind of a staple to the 'hood. /quote]

Rumors are rumors. Why don't you go get your car washed ($10 bucks) and ask Ron (the owner). He'll might tell he has a buyer "waiting in the wings".

Amidst all this conjecture, it may be worth mentioning that every building discussed so far is in a Historic District (Cherry Hill Eastern to Union and Wealthy Theater Eastern to Fuller).

Edited by PRCH

Can anyone point me to a thread or link that discusses the history of the neighborhoods along Wealthy? Was it named for high hopes, or was there a person named Wealthy? Doesn't it end up in EGR?

I have not been to GR in years, but it has always fascinated me. I hope to move back to Michigan eventually (California and Dixie since 1979), and GR is definitely on my radar ...

Can anyone point me to a thread or link that discusses the history of the neighborhoods along Wealthy? Was it named for high hopes, or was there a person named Wealthy? Doesn't it end up in EGR?

I have not been to GR in years, but it has always fascinated me. I hope to move back to Michigan eventually (California and Dixie since 1979), and GR is definitely on my radar ...

I believe Wealthy is named for a woman named Wealthy. I don't remember her status.

I went to the library downtown to do some Wealthy Street research, there are some photos of buildings but it is quite an ordeal to see the photos. (you have to fill out a form for a specific negative of a specific address and then if you want the image you have to pay like 13 bucks) and I am surprised that there aren't more historical photos of wealthy street... not as popular in the day I guess...

anyway, I do plan to go back with specific addresses in mind to research. I will learn more about wealthy street!

I went to the library downtown to do some Wealthy Street research, there are some photos of buildings but it is quite an ordeal to see the photos. (you have to fill out a form for a specific negative of a specific address and then if you want the image you have to pay like 13 bucks) and I am surprised that there aren't more historical photos of wealthy street... not as popular in the day I guess...

anyway, I do plan to go back with specific addresses in mind to research. I will learn more about wealthy street!

I can't wait to see the video version of this thread Josh. :shades:

I believe Wealthy is named for a woman named Wealthy. I don't remember her status.

Wealthy Morrison, second wife of Judge Jefferson Morrison, the first Kent County Probate Judge.

Joshleo, I have a collection of historical photos of razed and still-standing buildings on Wealthy.

It's eastern terminus is in EGR.

If you're heading the other direction, I'm not sure where it ends up as I usually use it to get on 131, but don't go further west than that.

It ends in a very industrial area next to the former Butterworth dump, (future city park). It turns north and terminates on Butterworth.

Here's A Sketchup file of a 10 unit apartment/ condo development that integrates the front facade of the building pictured in the quote. Retail is along the front with 2 units in the back on the first floor while 8 more units are on 2 more floors added above. The penthouse contains the building's mechanical core, stairwells and elevator shafts, lofts for the 3rd floor back units and access to 2 shared roof top gardens.

So Before....

405792843_4b39ff96f5_o.jpg

After....

buildingonwealthystrenofb0.jpg

Don't you think that's a little big for the area? All of the buildings for blocks are one story or short two story buildings.

I think your building might suffer from Mercantile Bank syndrome.

That's not necessarily true, most of the homes in that area are very tall two stories or maybe even 3 stories. I think it's pretty cool. It would probably never get passed by the historic preservation commission.

Don't you think that's a little big for the area? All of the buildings for blocks are one story or short two story buildings.

Not to get too far off topic, but what is wrong with the size of the Mercantile Bank building? The whole area it is in could use a little more height because of it's proximity to downtown.

And as far as taller buildings in neighborhoods, any city you go to has them tucked into their neighborhoods. The design isn't overpowering, and wouldn't be out of place any more than what lighthouse is building in some other areas of uptown.

That's not necessarily true, most of the homes in that area are very tall two stories or maybe even 3 stories. I think it's pretty cool. It would probably never get passed by the historic preservation commission.

I am not so sure about it not passing historic preservation...if they passed the town home project on Diamond they may pass something like this. I think it is really impressive.

We have been in regular conversation with the owners of this building trying to help them with the disposition of it. Can't say too much but let me say that in all my days of doing real estate development I have never seen a bigger legal nightmare in regard to who owns this land legally and rightfully. We continue to walk slowly with the owners to try and sort it out. But it is going to take time.

In the original photograph, the houses surrounding the building are 2 1/2 stories high. Taking that into account I felt that the area could visually absorb the impact of the building's height. Also to further blend the building into the area I opted to use a combination of brick and wood materials followed by recessing balconies into the body of the building to break up its form.

As for the HPC, I wasn't too sure if their coverage extended to that part of Wealthy street or not. But I did play it safe by sticking to materials found elsewhere in that area and echoing the architectural details of the front facade which would be retained.

I am not so sure about it not passing historic preservation...if they passed the town home project on Diamond they may pass something like this. I think it is really impressive.

"If they passed the town home project on Diamond...."

Let's just say that the townhome project on Diamond meets the infill standards of the HPC. In fact, I would say that it is probably the best infill project I have seen, at least in the last few years. It is far better than somebody trying to do beotchized traditionalism, which we are seeing way too much of right now. I am becoming sickened by all the "traditional" styled stuff that looks like it belongs in a suburban monoplex. It is spreading like a cancer throughout these neighborhoods.

As far as the rendering for Wealthy, it would appear that not only is the existing building being substantially altered - which is a definite no-no, but also that the houses behind it are being demolished. This application, if it were real, would most likely not be viewed favorably.

The Diamond Street townhouses and this building are evaluated with different standards, new buildings vs. existing resources.