Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

I'm confused how MDOT has anything to do with brick streets on Wealthy. Aren't those city-owned streets?

Enhancement grants for historic lighting, street furniture, brick sidwalk banding, brick streets etc, come from federal funds through MDOT.

The city can barely afford to repave. It's currently getting ready to float bonds just to pay for basic repairs.

Enhancement grants for historic lighting, street furniture, brick sidwalk banding, brick streets etc, come from federal funds through MDOT.

The city can barely afford to repave. It's currently getting ready to float bonds just to pay for basic repairs.

Federal Transportation Enhancement funds go to the states from the US DOT, but in a metro area,

need to be included in the planning process and the metro plan/TIP. Some states distribute

a certain amount to the MPOs based on a formula and the MPOs decide how to divvy up the funds.

Other states hold a grant competition to decide which communities/groups statewide will receive

the money or otherwise allocate the funds in some fasthion, but regardless, all federal-aid

transportation funds have to go through the MPO in metro areas. I'd say more about maintaining

streets and highways, but I'm probably already drifting way off topic!

It's starting...... Fuller Ave is now under construction between Wealthy Street & Franklin SE. It'll be a couple of days before it's under full closure.

The street construction planned for this spring/summer in the east end neighborhoods will spur a major transformation to the streetscapes on Cherry & Wealthy Street. My hopes are that we'll see an increase in pedestrian & nonmotorized transit activity, traffic calming, new third place gathering areas, new storefront businesses, and some facade improvements.

I'm going to ring the doorbell to the Wild Bunch again....

One thing that I have been noticing that Wealthy Street needs is less litter. There is garbage all over the street. A person can pick up all the garbage in an area in the morning and pick up just as much in the evening. Any suggestions as to how to keep this ugly annoyance from happening? There are already garbage cans on the street.

Edited by GR Jackson

It's starting...... Fuller Ave is now under construction between Wealthy Street & Franklin SE. It'll be a couple of days before it's under full closure.

The street construction planned for this spring/summer in the east end neighborhoods will spur a major transformation to the streetscapes on Cherry & Wealthy Street. My hopes are that we'll see an increase in pedestrian & nonmotorized transit activity, traffic calming, new third place gathering areas, new storefront businesses, and some facade improvements.

I'm going to ring the doorbell to the Wild Bunch again....

With all the street construction this summer, all I can say is I'm glad I ride the bus. Sit back, watch vlogs on my ipod, and let someone else navigate all the headaches!

I'm telling ya the bus = freedom!!!

^^ anyone know the history of this building. Why would it have been built so narrow? I have looked at it many times trying to figure it out :dontknow:

It was built against the building to the west, which burned in the 70's. I believe it was originally built as a newstand. The Assessors office 1936 photo shows a sailor boy in (real) bell-bottoms hanging around outside. I think it was an ice-cream shop by then. Somebody with a digital camera could post a copy here???

Maybe somebody should ask Jim/Barb/David/Melissa at the Bakery when the demoltion will occur:

UP ice-cream social anyone?

Maybe somebody should ask Jim/Barb/David/Melissa at the Bakery when the demoltion will occur:

We received a request for a demolition permit on 3/20/07. The demo was approved by Historic Preservation Commission on 2/7/07. However, since this building is in a Traditional Business District zone, it requires permission from the Planning Commission to be demolished. We have not yet received their application for a Planning Commission hearing.

We received a request for a demolition permit on 3/20/07. The demo was approved by Historic Preservation Commission on 2/7/07. However, since this building is in a Traditional Business District zone, it requires permission from the Planning Commission to be demolished. We have not yet received their application for a Planning Commission hearing.

Thanks, Planner.

Here's your big chance kids: adopt a building! It could be rolled across the parking lot and attached to the east facing wall of Mr. Monegro's much neglected building, which will undoubetdly also be adpoted and renovated (once certain legal matters are settled). Ice-cream, anyone??

Here's my history of the building but I don
Edited by PRCH

Street construction starts Monday for Cherry & Wealthy Street:

447362091_721ec98353.jpg

why does this map omit paris, college, moris, and prospect? I live on Wealthy street, Where am I supposed to park? Will the one-ways like college be available for parking?

What I like:

new street

What I don't like:

being woke up by back-hoe's

having no place to park

lots of dust in my windows from the construction...

can you guess what building I live in?

why does this map omit paris, college, moris, and prospect? I live on Wealthy street, Where am I supposed to park? Will the one-ways like college be available for parking?

What I like:

new street

What I don't like:

being woke up by back-hoe's

having no place to park

lots of dust in my windows from the construction...

can you guess what building I live in?

The map is a little wrong. Wealthy from Union east to Prospect won't be closed (until next year if I heard right) so Paris, College, Morris and Prospect won't be as affected. I would have to guess you live in the red brick apartment building on the nortwest corner, College and Wealthy. Or the building with big columns on the southeast corner (could have bought that builing for $17,000 in 1977).

The map is a little wrong. Wealthy from Union east to Prospect won't be closed (until next year if I heard right) so Paris, College, Morris and Prospect won't be as affected. I would have to guess you live in the red brick apartment building on the nortwest corner, College and Wealthy. Or the building with big columns on the southeast corner (could have bought that builing for $17,000 in 1977).

oh goody, as long as I can still get around my building , I am happy...

and yes you are correct about the red brick building :)

according to wwmt it says union to prospect happens in may:

http://www.wwmt.com/onset?id=35245&template=article.html

Edited by joshleo

Who you gonna believe, TV or me? Union to Prospect has been bumped to '08.

(Can I get a witness,Triple G?).

John, I take issue with your comment, "The map is a little wrong." Do you think I would post the wrong map???

Joshleo, the map posted is to help navigate folks through the construction to the business districts.

Union & College, south of Wealthy, will be two-way to Logan when that section of Wealthy is closed.

All of the following Uptown projects will be FULL CLOSURE of the street section listed: (dates are subject to change)

Cherry Street Project