Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

John, I take issue with your comment, "The map is a little wrong." Do you think I would post the wrong map???

OOPS. My bad. Is it the hospital section of Wealthy that was bumped to '08??

The map is a little confusing because it implies the whole strip will be closed for the duration, which isn't true. Union to Prospect will likely be done by blocks (haven't heard any different); joshleo has a point about the missing streets..........

so how do the one way streets work north of wealthy between cherry and wealthy?

will they still be open to parking and if so, how does one get out if the street is one way but blocked off at one end?

As TripleG pointed out, Union, and College, will be two way temporarily while construction is happening.

Some would like to see Union, at least, be made two-way permanently (used to be).

Watch for neighborhood informational meetings (you and/or your lanlord should get postcards from the City)

Edited by PRCH

Thanks for all the comments on the map.

In a perfect world with unlimited funds, I would have a section-by-section map with a real time schedule. Like I said, the map's main function is to help navigate through the construction to the business districts. Having too many streets listed on a small map can be confusing; of course this does not apply to map-savvy Planeteers.

When Union & College are cut-off on Wealthy due to construction:

Union, north of Wealthy will be two-way to Evans.

College, north of Wealthy will be two-way to Cherry.

If you want to help, please let me know if you notice long traffic back-up's at the intersections between Fulton & Wealthy SE. from College to EGR. We're trying to keep the traffic flowing in the neighborhood and long waits to cross intersections usually divert folks to alternate routes away from the biz districts. Thanks! RL

• 2 months later...

and you cry why? that building was in rubble before they tore it down

Gone but not forgotten. That little building made more sense when the auto service garage it was built up against was still there.

Look next door to the Somerdyke Plumbing building for some positive changes soon.

Edited by PRCH

You have to admit though, some of the old architecture found on wealthy is still magnificent.

I don't think anyone would deny that (least of all GR Jackson) and it's precisely the reason he suggests/longs for the overhead wires to be buried, methinks.

Seems like some serious warning signs on the listing though. "Fire Damage. Must consult with city before purchasing".

If the structural parts are intact it would make a great little commercial space like Eastown Mortgage across the street. $36,900? What a bargain! Plus, I'm sure that price is negotiable.

Joe

Seems like some serious warning signs on the listing though. "Fire Damage. Must consult with city before purchasing".

If the structural parts are intact it would make a great little commercial space like Eastown Mortgage across the street. $36,900? What a bargain! Plus, I'm sure that price is negotiable.

Joe

[/quote

The price isn't very negotiable, I tried on this one and there was no budging. And it is pretty wrecked on the inside. The hole in the roof allows all of the water in, and it has been open all fall, winter, spring, and summer.

Edited by GR Jackson

Gone but not forgotten. That little building made more sense when the auto service garage it was built up against was still there.

Look next door to the Somerdyke Plumbing building for some positive changes soon.

What kind of changes? I heard that the wealthy St. Bakery folks owned the place. Are they developing it or has it been sold to someone else?

Bear Manor -- thanks for the trees you planted in the front yards of the houses there on Wealthy this week.

Any chance you'll add the house on the southeast corner of Barth & Wealthy -- just west of the media center annex, to your stable?

Thanks for noticing the trees, we thought that they were sorely needed. Thanks also for the back up dragt, I do really appreciate the architecture on Wealthy and am trying to do my small part for the street.

What kind of changes? I heard that the wealthy St. Bakery folks owned the place. Are they developing it or has it been sold to someone else?

Wealthy St Bakery Inc bought 648 Wealthy St SE in September of 2006. Paid a good chunk of change for it too in my opinion. They are still the owners according to the city assessor's website.

Anyone know what happened to Ron's car wash ? Is he shut down for good ?

He's open today - maybe you went by when he was closed?? Seems like he was open Saturday.

He did turn down an offer buy the building last year and has been courted more recently by a prospective buyer. Things do change.........

Cherry Street SE between Hollister and Warren is back open. One almost-finished street construction project done, how many more to go?

The streetscape improvements on this section of Cherry are beautiful. In the next couple of months, the ornamental lighting will be installed. Check out the new sidewalks and planter boxes, they're pretty....

Now, if we can only speed up the street construction on Wealthy Street.....