Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

16 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

No, it is in the new building on Wealthy that is adjacent to Elk. It will be in the same building as the bridal shop. 

Not quite but close.

Mammoth Distilling is going into our almost-done project at 710 Wealthy (referred to here as the fish mural bldg).  The 'handoff' is next week, they'll do a bit of their own finish buildout, and their tasting room opens I think in June.   The good news is they're gonna fully activate the back yard and rear storage building spaces in conjunction with their use.  This is part of a 6-store project for Mammoth, they are an established operator for sure and a great addition to t his block.

I did hear a rumor that ELK brewing has sold but I dont know who the Buyer is, share what you know on that !

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/distillery-bridal-shop-coming-to-wealthy-street/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, terra firma said:

Not quite but close.

Mammoth Distilling is going into our almost-done project at 710 Wealthy (referred to here as the fish mural bldg).  The 'handoff' is next week, they'll do a bit of their own finish buildout, and their tasting room opens I think in June.   The good news is they're gonna fully activate the back yard and rear storage building spaces in conjunction with their use.  This is part of a 6-store project for Mammoth, they are an established operator for sure and a great addition to t his block.

I did hear a rumor that ELK brewing has sold but I dont know who the Buyer is, share what you know on that !

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/distillery-bridal-shop-coming-to-wealthy-street/

My mistake. The article made it sound like they were going in the same building. 

Excited to have Mammoth come to Wealthy Street. I really enjoy their products and can't wait to sample some more. 

Edited by Pattmost20

https://grbj.com/news/real-estate/wealthy-street-undergoes-development-boom/

Eager to find out who’s moving into old Royals, and Elk for that matter. It’s great to see this positive momentum and attention moving into spring.

Also noticed 804 Wealthy (shares the building on the corner of Eastern with Chartreuse Sisters) appears to be nearing completion, presumably with a tenant under contract.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 11:17 AM, Herefortherumors said:

Eager to find out who’s moving into old Royals, and Elk for that matter. It’s great to see this positive momentum and attention moving into spring.

Also noticed 804 Wealthy (shares the building on the corner of Eastern with Chartreuse Sisters) appears to be nearing completion, presumably with a tenant under contract.

"At 710 Wealthy St. SE, Construction Simplified is nearly done with the renovation of a tasting room for Mammoth Distilling, a company based in Central Lake that has five other locations around the state. The location was once the Wild Bunch Biker Club, which burned down in 2017."

Seems like GRBJ is confused about the location of Mammoth Distilling too. 706 Wealthy was the Wild Bunch, which burned down and was replaced by a new building. That is the building Construction Simplified worked on. 710 Wealthy is a separate building next door. 

Yeah, I noticed they got it all scrambled. :) I see that Terra Firma purchased the Royals building. First, wonder if it is true or false (based on the other reporting), and second, Eric, any news coming soon? Maybe an Applebee's or TGIFriday's to add to the character of the neighborhood? LOL :)

Joe

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/27/2023 at 11:17 AM, Herefortherumors said:

The spot next to Chartreuse Sisters will be Basic Bee Boutique... moving from their location on Division.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gunnerdouzi said:

The spot next to Chartreuse Sisters will be Basic Bee Boutique... moving from their location on Division.

Another transplant from S. Division! These guys are going to do very well in that spot. Chartreuse has big lines out the door every week, so they will definitely get some foot traffic along with the normal weekend Wealthy St. shoppers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY, a real deal diner!! For years I've wondered how uptown never had one. And by the looks of it, this is literally the most perfect place to land in this spot! Both were made for each other. And from the looks of it, this may be the largest space they've ever had.

Honestly have never been so hyped for one place opening here!

• Like 4

On 3/27/2023 at 9:59 PM, terra firma said:

Joe,  watch 701 Wealthy (ex: Royals) for some movement pretty quickly here -- as of today have a Lease in place with Good Truckin' Cafe, an established 6-store operator (started as a food truck, now a series of small restaurants).    These guys have something of a cult following elsewhere in the state and an awesome, small-town diner vibe with some really amazing food and a huge reputation.

They're not likely to open until maybe June --- this is a perfect use for this space, and fits well with the eclectic local vibe in this block-- couldn't be more excited to have this one teed up.    

Mark Ansara (Advantage CRE) brought the building to us, then went and found the tenant, and ...wham !    Here we go.      What's next ?     

Where can we fit a smoothie shop in this neighborhood ?  I feel like we need a smoothie shop.

eric

Fantastic news! Looking forward to welcoming them to the neighborhood. A good diner is definitely something useful in the neighborhood.

Smoothie bar, sign me up for wanting that too.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 9:59 PM, terra firma said:

Joe,  watch 701 Wealthy (ex: Royals) for some movement pretty quickly here -- as of today have a Lease in place with Good Truckin' Cafe, an established 6-store operator (started as a food truck, now a series of small restaurants).    These guys have something of a cult following elsewhere in the state and an awesome, small-town diner vibe with some really amazing food and a huge reputation.

They're not likely to open until maybe June --- this is a perfect use for this space, and fits well with the eclectic local vibe in this block-- couldn't be more excited to have this one teed up.    

Mark Ansara (Advantage CRE) brought the building to us, then went and found the tenant, and ...wham !    Here we go.      What's next ?     

Where can we fit a smoothie shop in this neighborhood ?  I feel like we need a smoothie shop.

eric

Just a couple places that pop into my head for a good place for a smoothie bar are the old Rak Thai spot at Diamond / Wealthy and where The Plant Parlor just vacated on Calkins / Wealthy next to 40 Acres. I would LOVE to have a smoothie bar anywhere on wealthy though tbh. Excited for the diner! That’s great news.

• 4 weeks later...

Heritage Hill news, for the corner of Wealthy and Jefferson and Prospect

"The site plan calls for 14 townhomes that would be three to four stories tall, with the first floor serving as a garage for the owner. The townhomes would be a mix of two- and three-bedroom units."

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/developer-plans-townhome-office-project-in-grand-rapids-heritage-hill/

Heritage Hill.png

Heritage Hill 2.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the news on the former Elk Brewing space.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/restaurants-1/lounge-style-art-gallery-eyes-former-elk-brewing-location-on-wealthy-street/

"The concept for 700 Wealthy Street SE calls for converting the 1,600-square-foot space into The Grey Rabbit, which is billed as a lounge-style art gallery. Partners aim to open the new concept in September 2023. "

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Zads said:

Here's the news on the former Elk Brewing space.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/restaurants-1/lounge-style-art-gallery-eyes-former-elk-brewing-location-on-wealthy-street/

"The concept for 700 Wealthy Street SE calls for converting the 1,600-square-foot space into The Grey Rabbit, which is billed as a lounge-style art gallery. Partners aim to open the new concept in September 2023. "

Hmm, that could be interesting. Back in the day the Elk bartenders would always joke that they were a Donkey waiting room, so if people can come and enjoy a drink and look at art I can see it being successful

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/retail/denver-outdoor-sports-retailer-plans-grand-rapids-store-as-owner-relocates-to-west-michigan/

"Funkhouser founded Feral Mountain Co. in 2016 with the dream of “creating adventure.” The retailer has grown since then to include two Colorado locations, one in Denver and one in the suburb of Idaho Springs, where it offers a range of new and used gear at accessible price points, in addition to rentals, gear repair and cleaning. "

This is a rather intriguing choice for a store like this. I always assumed this was a really tiny space. Way more house than proper storefront.

But this is exactly like their other location, which looks like it is in a familiar sized/style GR home.

mountains-2 - FERAL

So I went from "I dont know about this" to "Ok, I get it now".

This will be a great complement to Paddle North, which is almost directly across the street!

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 7:49 AM, Zads said:

Heritage Hill news, for the corner of Wealthy and Jefferson and Prospect

"The site plan calls for 14 townhomes that would be three to four stories tall, with the first floor serving as a garage for the owner. The townhomes would be a mix of two- and three-bedroom units."

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/developer-plans-townhome-office-project-in-grand-rapids-heritage-hill/

Heritage Hill.png

Heritage Hill 2.png

These two homes are on opposite streets to the south of this development (Prospect and Lafayette respectively). I do recall that there was talk of moving structures to make way for this project, but I'm not totally sure if that is what is going on here. Seems likely the reason why they are both boarded up for this.

20230621_102059.thumb.jpg.67a721b99ad668151fdcf24d94ad800e.jpg

20230621_102116.thumb.jpg.0463e80bc60d733909f4f55a02314b06.jpg

I wonder where they will end up ultimately?