Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

It seems like ren zones can be a double edged sword. It is a great incentive for developers, but it also allows the people not doing anything with their properties to sit on them tax free. Once the taxes kick back in they will have to either fix them and make them usable, or sell them. On the other hand, new businesses are coming in and the tax free thing helps theses start ups.

• 1 month later...

Quick question for all you UPer's...

I know I saw some drawings recently online for the Wealthy Heights Initiative, but now I can't find them anywhere. I've searched UP and multiple other sites (Dwelling Place, EHCN and others involved) and can't find any of the drawings. Anybody know where I can find them? I'm tired of searching...THANKS! :D

I know I saw some drawings recently online for the Wealthy Heights Initiative, but now I can't find them anywhere. I've searched UP and multiple other sites (Dwelling Place, EHCN and others involved) and can't find any of the drawings. Anybody know where I can find them? I'm tired of searching...THANKS! :D

I couldn't find it either. Maybe call East Hills and see if they have a hard copy. :dontknow: Thats probably your best bet.

Is this what you were thinking of?

wealthyst.jpg

Wealthy-Jefferson Development Initiative

• 4 weeks later...

This will be next door, in an existing building.

Yep, in 1017-1019 Wealthy. They will be using the whole front of the building. One side will be carry-out, with pizza by the slice, and the other side will be a sit down dining side. We are shooting to get the space ready in the next couple of months.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going on where Acanthus Antiques use to be? There was a for sale sign there but I don't see it anymore and there seems to be a lot of interesting "stuff" accumulating in the window. What a great building!

I do believe this is where From the Heart Yoga Center is moving to (from East Fulton). They needed a larger space than their Fulton location, so when this spot opened up, they grabbed it. Will feature two adjacent studios (for yoga & tai chi) that can open up into a larger room as well as an apartment for the owners above.

I do believe this is where From the Heart Yoga Center is moving to (from East Fulton). They needed a larger space than their Fulton location, so when this spot opened up, they grabbed it. Will feature two adjacent studios (for yoga & tai chi) that can open up into a larger room as well as an apartment for the owners above.

The People's Republic of Cherry Hill (Autonomous Historic District) welcomes with great pleasure From the Heart Yoga and it's owners. May they enjoy great success, growth, and harmony in our community.

A fond farewell to Acanthus Antiques. As Vera Lyn would say: We'll meet again

Don't know where, don't know when

But I know we'll meet again

Some sunny day.

Acanthus was pretty awesome. A while back I was talking to the guys at Wealthy&Charles and they said that the woman who owned it decided to take the business online. But I didn't get the website or wherever she was selling things. Anybody know?

I asked the folks at the Green Life today if they knew what the plans were for the From the Heart space on Fulton. They said the building would be sold, but with the goal that the new owner/tenant would make the space better and fit into the neighborhood "vibe." So we'll see!

• 4 months later...

RapidGrowth has an article about the new pizza place opening at 1017-1019 Wealthy:

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/developmentnews/default.aspx

I've lost track. Is this the same building as the Cheetah restaurant?

Look for the Brick Road Pizza Company to be open for business next week. They are pushing to get approval for this weekend, but we'll see. You guys know how it goes.

Do they have a liquor license? If not are they going to try to get one?

They don't have a liquor license, and I have not heard of any plan to get one. We are hoping that they establish a good relationship with the Meanwhile, and arrange a way to bring pizza over there. I think they could just walk it right over.

While walking down Wealthy today, I happen to look at the door of this little blue storefront across from Winchester's and saw some sort of note on "official" City of Grand Rapids stationary, stating that the building was going to have new siding put up, and awnings installed.

Honestly, the handwriting on the paper was so bad, I couldn't read much more than that.

While walking down Wealthy today, I happen to look at the door of this little blue storefront across from Winchester's and saw some sort of note on "official" City of Grand Rapids stationary, stating that the building was going to have new siding put up, and awnings installed.

Honestly, the handwriting on the paper was so bad, I couldn't read much more than that.

Neat! Is that the half-house, half-storefront that says something like "Big John's BBQ and Ice CREAM" or something like that? Wonder if the future holds anything more.

Neat! Is that the half-house, half-storefront that says something like "Big John's BBQ and Ice CREAM" or something like that? Wonder if the future holds anything more.

I talked to the kid who lives there (apparently), and he said it will open back up as soon as it gets fixed up. That was about all I got out of him. I wasn't going to grill him.

• 3 weeks later...

apparently the developer who bought the building for too much money doesn't have enough money to start the demolition on the back and the renovations on the front, so another developer has bought it and is making at least a few strides, like the signs. more to come...

This project at 632-636 Wealthy got its Ren Zone extension, but only for the ground floor and not for the upstairs residential portion. The new city policy on Ren Zone extensions greatly favors job creation and not new living units.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/news/index.ss...sioners_ok.html