Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

This really isnt a Wealthy St. thing (you could see it from there though if you have good eyesight) but here is the newly opened Metro PCS store on the corner of Franklin and Eastern. I just about fell out of my car seeing it, because it really looked out of place at that intersection full of drab and shabby buildings with bars over the windows.

I really dont know much about these guys, but they almost single-handedly improved that intersection beyond anything that has been done before. Hopefully the rest of that area will be inspired to strive for the same aesthetics because of them.

Kudos to PCS!

post-3465-1242136273_thumb.jpg

Edited by GR_Urbanist

This really isnt a Wealthy St. thing (you could see it from there though if you have good eyesight) but here is the newly opened Metro PCS store on the corner of Franklin and Eastern. I just about fell out of my car seeing it, because it really looked out of place at that intersection full of drab and shabby buildings with bars over the windows.

I really dont know much about these guys, but they almost single-handedly improved that intersection beyond anything that has been done before. Hopefully the rest of that area will be inspired to strive for the same aesthetics because of them.

Kudos to PCS!

I'm not a fan of their aesthetic.

I am a fan of occupied store fronts. :)

Kudos to PCS!

Just saw a new one on Grandville, north of Hall, and there is another next to the Jimmy John's in Eastown.

Do you see the metal boxes above the windows? If you drive by after closing time, solid covers for all doors and windows roll down from those boxes and it looks a little like fort knox... I mean it's locked down TIGHT! I agree, it's dramatically better than the boarded up tanglez, but only marginally better after they close for the night. :dontknow: To me, these metal exterior covers are worse than the interior cages...

Do you see the metal boxes above the windows? If you drive by after closing time, solid covers for all doors and windows roll down from those boxes and it looks a little like fort knox... I mean it's locked down TIGHT! I agree, it's dramatically better than the boarded up tanglez, but only marginally better after they close for the night. :dontknow: To me, these metal exterior covers are worse than the interior cages...

I can understand why they have them, but yeah I doubt it makes for a good view after closing.

I guess the area still has a way to go before it becomes E. Hills.

Kudos to PCS!

I almost thought it was new construction, but apparently not:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...,152.16,,0,3.68

I think it looks pretty good.

I almost thought it was new construction, but apparently not:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...,152.16,,0,3.68

I think it looks pretty good.

Expect to see more popping up around town. From the company's May 6, 2009 Press Release announcing the expansion into GR:

New Unlimited, Flat-rate, No Signed Contract Calling Plans are Most Affordable in the Market

DETROIT--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May. 6, 2009-- Residents of Grand Rapids, Mich. now have a new alternative to costly traditional wireless service plans. MetroPCS Communications, Inc. (NYSE: PCS), the nation

Theres one in the brick building just north of Leonard and Fuller. Kind of weird one day it has a Spirit sign the next a MetroPCS. but it still says Spirit on the door.

Anyone got any pictures of the Eastern/Franklin location with the coverings down. I don't make it down that way too often.

Edited by droonus2000

I haven't seen the metal window guards. I wondered how they were going to secure all that glass.

I saw them this morning on my drive to work. I've been biking lately, which involves a different route, so I had missed them before today. Next time I drive to work I'll try to remember the camera.

• 2 weeks later...

405792843_4b39ff96f5_o.jpg

Well I didn't think it was possible to make this place look worse than it does, but the brain trust that owns this building have outdone themselves by engaging in one of the most hideous paint jobs ever attempted in Wealthy St. history.

The building's condition has not changed from the picture above. What has changed is that the non-brick brown portions have now been painted orange and white.

And by "painted" I mean sloppily applied with no evidence of competency in using a brush.

It is a disaster! And on top of that, the place is still occupied by the same "businesses" that still receive no customers, and are never opened anyway. I'm at a lose as to how these guys are affording the property taxes on this place, and why they haven't sold. It's right across the street from the Wealthy St. Bakery and just a stone's throw from the Winchester. It would sell in a heartbeat it would seem. But they just keep abusing the place, likely until the place starts to fall into complete disrepair. I feel sorry for the surrounding establishments that after all the work they put into revitalizing this area, they have to put up with this circus right across the road.

What a waste.

Edited by GR_Urbanist

Oh wow, it is bad.

3574224870_0dca735176_b.jpg

Moving East on Wealthy. I kind of hope they leave the upper floor brick unpainted. Has a certain character to it. Either way, it will be a nice looking building when finished.

3573420087_613c6ebb6e_b.jpg

I also noticed it looked like they're moving forward with the coffee shop at the car wash across from Literary Life, but didn't get a picture.

Moving WAY East. This is the building that had the Obama campaign office in it.

3574223736_03d8946e8b_b.jpg

3573416051_4acf4aaf23_b.jpg

The new Phoenix Building:

3573414897_6dc85c1868_b.jpg

Since this thread is "Wealthy St", I just kept going...to the new Blodgett Hospital wing:

3574258268_1c6f7c37a2_b.jpg

3574217634_7cf1fdc4df_b.jpg

I saw the orange and white too. Nothing anyone can do I'm assuming.

I witnessed this "painting" an individual was standing back relaxed, on their heels, with a 2 inch wide roller, on a 2 foot long pole slowly rolling back and forth with not much care for straight lines or full coverage.

While I understand saving cash by doing the job yourself, it becomes odd to see a 60+ year old woman doing "tuckpointing" to the bricks on the back of the building working to paint something that in the end looks worse, while not putting much effort into making the place seem open and inviting.

I wish something could be done.

I witnessed this "painting" an individual was standing back relaxed, on their heels, with a 2 inch wide roller, on a 2 foot long pole slowly rolling back and forth with not much care for straight lines or full coverage.

While I understand saving cash by doing the job yourself, it becomes odd to see a 60+ year old woman doing "tuckpointing" to the bricks on the back of the building working to paint something that in the end looks worse, while not putting much effort into making the place seem open and inviting.

I wish something could be done.

Isn't it within the HH historic district? Aren't there guidelines about renovations?

http://www.grcity.us/download_upload/binar...ines%20Book.pdf

If I were on the HH Board, I'd at least be bringing it to the city's attention.

Isn't it within the HH historic district? Aren't there guidelines about renovations?

http://www.grcity.us/download_upload/binar...ines%20Book.pdf

If I were on the HH Board, I'd at least be bringing it to the city's attention.

I thought some one told me that the HH board is somewhat gone, when it comes to the renovation rules.

Also the old rent-a-center getting a facelift is one of the best things they could have done.

Now i just wish they could fix the driveway going into the parking lot near yesterdog, I dont think I have ever gotten in our out without scrapping my exhaust off my car.

Amen on the circus. This building's situation is a cat with a long long long tail. They don't pay prop taxes, it's in a Ren Zone. And in my ever snide tone regarding this property i have to say it looked even worse on the first coat the other day when they painted it peach :P