Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

Photographer Brian Kelly is shooting photos for the Grand Rapids Convention and Visitors Bureau Sunday evening at The Winchester. I was told photos would be used for promotional material.

It's pretty exciting for the City to select a spot on Wealthy St., as a location for visitors to explore and a draw for new people to Grand Rapids. That's a ringing endorsement that renovations are well on there way along Wealthy. :thumbsup:

Edited by plee30

Photographer Brian Kelly is shooting photos for the Grand Rapids Convention and Visitors Bureau Sunday evening at The Winchester. I was told photos would be used for promotional material. ...

Was that what was going on out front of Madcat the other day? (Outdoor daytime coffee drinkers wear shades, but not these two lovely babes.)

Was that what was going on out front of Madcat the other day? (Outdoor daytime coffee drinkers wear shades, but not these two lovely babes.)

Good guess. (a little birdie named Facebook tipped me off)

http://briankellyphotography.blogspot.com/...photoshoot.html

Edited by fotoman311

Definitely looks to be the case. I think we dodged a bullet on this one and were not too far from a surface lot on that location. Hurray developers. :)

Joe

I spoke with the architect and he said that whole Eastern wall is ready to fall over, with much of it below ground totally rotted from moisture and termites.

• 3 weeks later...

I talked with a young man the other day who said he and his mom are working on opening a Cuban restaurant in the old laundromat by Jamaican Dave's. He said "the guys from the Wealthy Market" were helping with the cost. We'll see how it turns out...and if it turns out. Either way, mmmmmmmmm...Cuban food. I did see the "for rent" sign down and some work going on inside, so something is going on regardless. The son and mother are long-time residents of Baxter.

Ran into him again yesterday, and he wasn't so optimistic this time. He said there is a big gap between them and the owner regarding the terms. I just so happened to notice the "for rent" sign back up this morning too. Not looking too hot for Cuban food real soon...

• 3 weeks later...

Ran into him again yesterday, and he wasn't so optimistic this time. He said there is a big gap between them and the owner regarding the terms. I just so happened to notice the "for rent" sign back up this morning too. Not looking too hot for Cuban food real soon...

To anybody interested in Cuban food--they did open, but at Division/Pleasant instead.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed that 710 Wealthy St (used to be a Fish place) sold. Anyone know what the scoop is with this building? It'd be nice to see another business move in and bridge the gap between Winchester and Literary Life.

Joe

I heard something about a home interiors/decor store. A coney restaurant and another TBA local business will be in the other development at James.

I heard something about a home interiors/decor store. A coney restaurant and another TBA local business will be in the other development at James.

The TBA local business is a Rowster Coffee Tasting Room. I was in talking with Kurt Stauffer the other day and it sounded like it was a pretty done deal. He announced it on Facebook as well. From the way he described it, the place will be more tasting room and less cafe. He said he is partnering with another guy who ran a local coffee shop in a suburb. He mentioned the roaster itself will be prominently featured, and he wants to make it a cool place to explore and for people to learn about where coffee comes from and the roasting process. I think he said he wants it to be kind of like a yacht builder's workshop, except with coffee. He wants to have all kinds of cool coffee related stuff just hanging around for people to look at.

I think it sounds awesome, and I can't wait!

The TBA local business is a Rowster Coffee Tasting Room. ... He wants to have all kinds of cool coffee related stuff just hanging around for people to look at. ...

Send him to Habitat Re-Store, stat. Furniture.

coffee-silhouette cut-out cafe chairs, matching table that just needs a glass top. Cheeeep.

That's why.

Edited by Veloise

Wow - I have not been on this for awhile. Wing Heaven had all of their equipment repossessed. Can't work with no equipment. The bad thing is that Lighthouse paid for the build out including the VERY expensive hood and exhaust system along with other equipment specifically for a restaurant. If anyone knows of someone looking to start a small restaurant I'm sure Lighthouse would be ready to deal. It would be a great place for a simple sandwich shop, or quick lunch place.

but drove big fancy cars.

L&B fired 14 people from the Derby Station (over the phone) and replaced them with the displaced workers from Graydon's on Plainfield. Is Derby going through yet another overhaul?

Wow - I have not been on this for awhile. Wing Heaven had all of their equipment repossessed. Can't work with no equipment. The bad thing is that Lighthouse paid for the build out including the VERY expensive hood and exhaust system along with other equipment specifically for a restaurant. If anyone knows of someone looking to start a small restaurant I'm sure Lighthouse would be ready to deal. It would be a great place for a simple sandwich shop, or quick lunch place.

• 1 month later...

Apparently the owners of Electric Cheetah are opening a noodle shop called Electric Eel, just East of Wealthy Theatre. There's talk of them building a vertical marquee sign for it too.

This would be an answer to a long standing prayer of mine and just a short walk from home - there is a god!

Probably one too many trips to Japan, but that doesn't sound like an appetizing name (of course, in Japan there likely is an eel in your noodles). :)

Great to see continued development on Wealthy. I hope they do really well!

Joe

Apparently the owners of Electric Cheetah are opening a noodle shop called Electric Eel, just East of Wealthy Theatre. There's talk of them building a vertical marquee sign for it too.

• 3 weeks later...

I live right by the Meanwhile and I think Wealthy St. is one of those places that really is trying to make that complete transition into a nicer, more pedestrian St. What types of business/idevelopments do you think would really help improve the area (or just would be cool to have?) And please be realistic...

I think it would be nice to have:

- a good deli/butcher with some quality veggies and maybe some wine. Nothing too fancy, but a little specialty type store

-a dog friendly brewpub type place with an attached fenced in area (that print shop place would be perfect)

-a good vintage clothing store

-a billiards bar. meanwhile and the winchester are cool but it would be nice to have a spot a tad bigger with some darts, a big pool table and a ping pong table!

Let's hear your ideas!