Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

I live right by the Meanwhile and I think Wealthy St. is one of those places that really is trying to make that complete transition into a nicer, more pedestrian St. What types of business/idevelopments do you think would really help improve the area (or just would be cool to have?) And please be realistic...

I think it would be nice to have:

- a good deli/butcher with some quality veggies and maybe some wine. Nothing too fancy, but a little specialty type store

-a dog friendly brewpub type place with an attached fenced in area (that print shop place would be perfect)

-a good vintage clothing store

-a billiards bar. meanwhile and the winchester are cool but it would be nice to have a spot a tad bigger with some darts, a big pool table and a ping pong table!

Let's hear your ideas!

Hey Neighbor! We live between Wealthy and Cherry and the thing that I'd love is a couple more kid friendly (we have two little guys) or quick places. There aren't many places beside Cherry Deli if I just want to run somewhere with the family and not get waited on. I'd prefer not to get in the car and drive to a Panera, Qdoba or Noodles. Also, Uptown REALLY needs Mexican food! Someone talk El Arriero on 28th into opening another location in Don Rafav's old place. (or anywhere in Uptown for that matter...)

Edited by mgreven

I live right by the Meanwhile and I think Wealthy St. is one of those places that really is trying to make that complete transition into a nicer, more pedestrian St. What types of business/idevelopments do you think would really help improve the area (or just would be cool to have?) And please be realistic...

I think it would be nice to have:

- a good deli/butcher with some quality veggies and maybe some wine. Nothing too fancy, but a little specialty type store

-a dog friendly brewpub type place with an attached fenced in area (that print shop place would be perfect)

-a good vintage clothing store

-a billiards bar. meanwhile and the winchester are cool but it would be nice to have a spot a tad bigger with some darts, a big pool table and a ping pong table!

Let's hear your ideas!

+1 on the pool/darts bar. It would also be cool if they had several Wii stations set up.

A simple grocery staples store would do wonders.

Vintage clothing is covered with Coat of Many Colors.

A Dollar Tree! Not to be confused with that hot ghetto mess called Family Dollar.

I don't think I've seen this posted yet ... This is on the other end of Wealthy a bit from the other usual topics of discussion, but a new Pizza Hut is supposedly going in on the corner of Wealthy and Atlas in what used to be a Rent-A-Center.

I'm not sure how the parking will work. Hopefully Pizza Hut has a deal to use Uptown Assembly Of God's terrible, ugly, blighted, fenced-off-and-chained-shut-6-days-a-week eyesore parking lots littered all over the place. I like churches as much as the next guy, but this one is in a terrible spot, and trashing that whole area with their 30,000 sqft of unused parking lots: Count 'em up: lot on Lake next to the Eastown Hub lot, lot on Wealthy & Atlas across from new Hut, and lot on Atlas next to new Hut. Not that the giant car wash helps that whole dead corner situation, but at least its for sale. If Pizza Hut has no parking deal, there will be another situation of streets packed with cars while three HUGE lots sit unused six days a week.

I don't think I've seen this posted yet ... This is on the other end of Wealthy a bit from the other usual topics of discussion, but a new Pizza Hut is supposedly going in on the corner of Wealthy and Atlas in what used to be a Rent-A-Center.

I'm not sure how the parking will work. Hopefully Pizza Hut has a deal to use Uptown Assembly Of God's terrible, ugly, blighted, fenced-off-and-chained-shut-6-days-a-week eyesore parking lots littered all over the place. I like churches as much as the next guy, but this one is in a terrible spot, and trashing that whole area with their 30,000 sqft of unused parking lots: Count 'em up: lot on Lake next to the Eastown Hub lot, lot on Wealthy & Atlas across from new Hut, and lot on Atlas next to new Hut. Not that the giant car wash helps that whole dead corner situation, but at least its for sale. If Pizza Hut has no parking deal, there will be another situation of streets packed with cars while three HUGE lots sit unused six days a week.

I will take some amount of pleasure driving past Pizza Hut on my way to Brick Road Pizza. :)

I will take some amount of pleasure driving past Pizza Hut on my way to Brick Road Pizza. :)

Agreed! It will be nice to have a business in there...the building renovation is looking great. The more the merrier, but with all the great local pizza choices nearby, I don't see myself patronizing it.

Well said. :) It's such a terrible use of a prime location, and to have it be inaccessible parking adds more insult to injury!

Joe

Brick Road for me but I guess if there are people coming to the area to go to the Pizza Hut then maybe that means more pedestrians that might spend more time in the area shopping or whatever.

I think a mexican place would be great. I don't know if you guys have ever been to a big ten burrito (one in A2 and one in EL) but one of those would be really cool. Some guy (from UM I think) that started it up. $5 burritos out the door. Just looked up the website for BTB if you want to take a look. I'm a huge mexican fan and when I was at State I ate at BTB all the time. I should send them an email and tell them to come here STAT because i'm still hungry for lunch.

If you guys are talking about Pizza Hut going into the old Obama HQ's, the buzz on twitter is that it's a Chipotle instead. Anyone know for sure?

I hope you're right - love Chipotle but hate 28th St. so I seldom eat there. The variety of restaurant choices within walking distance of my house (Lake Drive and Auburn) is unrivaled anywhere in GR outside of downtown and it just keeps getting better. I was talking to our waitress at Electric Cheetah last week and she said that along with the Electric Eel Noodle Shop, the owner is also considering a third restaurant in the area specializing in pizza. If this keeps up, I'm going to have to move to the suburbs - my wallet is shrinking and my waistline is expanding.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is indeed a shiny new Pizza Hut, opening Monday! Nothing against Brick Road, but $10 pizzas blow their cuisine out of the water, no matter how much vegan magic-sauce they sprinkle on it. Of course, I'm not sure if I'll be able to take the grueling 200 foot walk from Pizza Hut's door to mine, though. It's going to be rough. I'm thinking of ordering delivery instead, just to see the look on the delivery guy's face. If he's got a good arm, he could probably hit my back porch from their parking lot. :D

Speaking of restaurants on Wealthy, anyone familiar with Rendezvous restaurant (which occupies the space formerly occupied by the Intersection and then some Indian restaurant)? It was open for a couple weeks (if that) in December, then shut down. Then there was recently a sign announcing a grand opening, then the sign was gone. Is this restaurant a go, or dead?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...