Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

On 7/31/2017 at 0:18 PM, EastownLeo said:

Ground floor retail at 1555 wealthy next to Papa Johns and Spoonlickers.

Will soon be www.phlotgr.com

Not sure that will last too long, but who knows.

LOL wut? 

25 yrs ago when I lived in Ann Arbor there was a store about a block from the Fleetwood Diner that sold floatation tanks.  Every time I walked past that place it reminded me of the movie "Altered States" and kind of creeped me out. 

Edited by scottythe1nonly

10 hours ago, x99 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.  But I guess I would have said the same thing about doing a bunch of painful stretches in an overheated sweat box.  You never know.

I feel like you're hating on hot yoga. Nothing is safe!

On 8/2/2017 at 9:27 PM, MJLO said:

I feel like you're hating on hot yoga. Nothing is safe!

Haha I was thinking the same. Yoga is pretty mainstream now, probably more popular than regular gyms. Hot yoga does seem a bit extreme to me but a lot of people are doing it!

Did someone buy the Wild Bunch location? I was going by and didnt see the for sale sign I could have sworn was on the building.

But anyway, an interesting thing about the Wild Bunch sign, it looks like it was hiding the sign of the previous owners. Only one slice of it was visible, but it appears that the former owners were an automotive supply store or company(?).

On 8/11/2017 at 0:26 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

Did someone buy the Wild Bunch location? I was going by and didnt see the for sale sign I could have sworn was on the building.

But anyway, an interesting thing about the Wild Bunch sign, it looks like it was hiding the sign of the previous owners. Only one slice of it was visible, but it appears that the former owners were an automotive supply store or company(?).

Somebody did tell me it sold. I don't remember who. Wasn't it on here? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2017 at 0:16 PM, mpchicago said:

Thanks to PPWIII on Flickr for snapping this pic 650 Wealthy.  Glad to see work moving forward.  Does anyone know if a lease was signed? 

34702254431_edabe76f47_k.jpg

Updated pics--- share your input !    The sample looked good but it came out kinda "orange" as you can see in the photo.   Not exactly as I'd hoped, but improvement over the original storefront for sure..    Which one of you designers has a good recovery plan for us to consider ?   Until the stain soaks in, we probably can't re-stain or paint just yet.

Other news: we have secured two different retail  Tenants.    I don't dare announce their names before asking, Leases are being signed this week.    Both will be a great fit for this block, with lots of synergy with other (existing) business already in the neighborhood.  These are retail shops, not bars.   Names coming soon-- hope to be operational by November.

-eric

IMG_0045.JPG

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, terra firma said:

Updated pics--- share your input !    The sample looked good but it came out kinda "orange" as you can see in the photo.   Not exactly as I'd hoped, but improvement over the original storefront for sure..    Which one of you designers has a good recovery plan for us to consider ?   Until the stain soaks in, we probably can't re-stain or paint just yet.

Other news: we have secured two different retail  Tenants.    I don't dare announce their names before asking, Leases are being signed this week.    Both will be a great fit for this block, with lots of synergy with other (existing) business already in the neighborhood.  These are retail shops, not bars.   Names coming soon-- hope to be operational by November.

-eric

IMG_0045.JPG

Drove by it the other day, it is looking really good. Not gonna lie I was hoping it would be a food/drink establishment, but excited to see what goes in nonetheless.

Well, we were open to that too of course---and we had a great offer from an established operator.   The retail stores were ready to go tho, and a simpler buildout....   and based on what the neighborhood association said they wanted, it just made life easy so we hit the button.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Really? 20 restaurants in a two-block area not enough for you? :)

Or 4, Jonny B'z, Elk, Winchester, Donkey. And Elk only kind of counts. Winchester and Donkey are two of my most frequented establishments, both in easy walking distance. I would love to have a new option or 2 come to that stretch. I know Georgina's is going in, but 1 more couldn't hurt.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, terra firma said:

Well, we were open to that too of course---and we had a great offer from an established operator.   The retail stores were ready to go tho, and a simpler buildout....   and based on what the neighborhood association said they wanted, it just made life easy so we hit the button.  

I heard rumblings of Zack Sklar and friend chicken. I'll be perfectly happy with retail going in there, we just need Tatum to move their business elsewhere and free up the last bit of that intersection.

29 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Or 4, Jonny B'z, Elk, Winchester, Donkey. And Elk only kind of counts. Winchester and Donkey are two of my most frequented establishments, both in easy walking distance. I would love to have a new option or 2 come to that stretch. I know Georgina's is going in, but 1 more couldn't hurt.

I would venture to say that Wealthy Street is pretty close to saturation point with restaurants. Otherwise it will continue to have to rely on people driving there to keep all of these restaurants open. Keep in mind there are at least two new restaurants going in down the block near Wealthy Theatre. 

But whateves, not my money. :)

8 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I would venture to say that Wealthy Street is pretty close to saturation point with restaurants. Otherwise it will continue to have to rely on people driving there to keep all of these restaurants open. Keep in mind there are at least two new restaurants going in down the block near Wealthy Theatre. 

But whateves, not my money. :)

Still have to wait an hour and a half to get into Donkey on the weekends.

On 8/28/2017 at 3:54 PM, terra firma said:

-eric

IMG_0045.JPG

I think it looks great actually. The dark stained wood being used a lot probably only has about 3 - 5 years left and it will be out-of-style, in my humble construction opinion.

On 8/28/2017 at 3:54 PM, terra firma said:

-eric

Definitely an improvement, but you're right that it's missing something.  I'll admit I walked by it and thought "Pioneer town?" Problem is this:  It isn't Woodland Mall.  Traditionally exteriors were never done in stain because it simply does not last.  You end up restaining it every two years. Paint it.  It will never look right so long as you try to stain the thing.  www.historichousecolors.com  will get it right for a few hundred bucks for a color consult.  Hit it first with a tannin blocking primer to kill the knots, then apply the paint.  Fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 5:04 PM, x99 said:

Definitely an improvement, but you're right that it's missing something.  I'll admit I walked by it and thought "Pioneer town?" Problem is this:  It isn't Woodland Mall.  Traditionally exteriors were never done in stain because it simply does not last.  You end up restaining it every two years. Paint it.  It will never look right so long as you try to stain the thing.  www.historichousecolors.com  will get it right for a few hundred bucks for a color consult.  Hit it first with a tannin blocking primer to kill the knots, then apply the paint.  Fixed.

Just saw this, x99 may be right on this one. 

• 3 weeks later...

Gravel Bottom is considering opening their Grand Rapids location at the former MC Sports location in the Plainfield Plaza, according to the GRBJ.   This would complement operations in Ada, and include a restaurant.   Very visible location, next to 1-96 interchange.   Would give a nice shot in the arm for the area.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/88981-brewery-plans-taproom-in-grand-rapids

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Gravel Bottom is considering opening their Grand Rapids location at the former MC Sports location in the Plainfield Plaza, according to the GRBJ.   This would complement operations in Ada, and include a restaurant.   Very visible location, next to 1-96 interchange.   Would give a nice shot in the arm for the area.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/88981-brewery-plans-taproom-in-grand-rapids

That area could use a good brewery/restaurant. Nothing good around for miles, except "Hideout." 

38 minutes ago, ChevalierNoir said:

Hideout had decent, but not noteworthy, beer last time I was there (over a year ago). Plainfield desperately needs a place to sit down for a great pint and a good meal. 

Hideout is very hit or miss for me. I get there probably once or twice a year and the beer is usually pretty meh but they had an IPA called Warrior of the Galaxy that was so on point. That being said, the quality of beer in GR is pretty high, so the beer needs to be better than okay to get folks to take note.