Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

4 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Gravel Bottom is considering opening their Grand Rapids location at the former MC Sports location in the Plainfield Plaza, according to the GRBJ.   This would complement operations in Ada, and include a restaurant.   Very visible location, next to 1-96 interchange.   Would give a nice shot in the arm for the area.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/88981-brewery-plans-taproom-in-grand-rapids

I'm a little disappointed in the reporting of where a business is "considering" moving to.  Definitely jumping the gun on many levels.

48 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

I agree, thought it was odd...

It does sound like it is just about a done deal though.  "Michels said he’s about “90-percent sure”  ".

Also found this interesting in the MIBIZ article https://mibiz.com/item/25133-ada-brewery-eyes-closed-mc-sports-store-in-gr-for-satellite-taproom,-production-facility :

• The drive to open a satellite brewery outside of Ada came as Michiels started doing the math for expanding production within the village and realized it didn’t make financial sense — or fit the character of the walkable, retail-driven area — to build a larger manufacturing facility there. According to Michiels, rents in Ada fell in the $23-per-square-foot range, while the new satellite location gets the company closer to the $6-per-square-foot range needed to keep overhead low to make distributing beer economically feasible.

It's hard to argue with costs at only 26% of the new rates in Ada.

6 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Hideout is very hit or miss for me. I get there probably once or twice a year and the beer is usually pretty meh but they had an IPA called Warrior of the Galaxy that was so on point. That being said, the quality of beer in GR is pretty high, so the beer needs to be better than okay to get folks to take note. 

Hideout is probably best for their Mead.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheLonesomeHobo said:

New York Men's Wear is beginning a facelift, that awful purple / maroon awning was removed this week. Also, Georgina's is about a month away from opening up.

That is nice...hope they dress up their windows too.  Take the awful gates from inside the windows...looks like an inner city liquor store.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pattmost20 said:

Joining the brigade of S division businesses moving to East Hills/Eastown. 

I don't blame these business for moving from Division to Eastown,  but its a shame.   That stretch of Division, arguably, has some of the best early 20th century commercial architecture anywhere in the city.   NOTE: I'm not trying to nor do I think we should open up another discussion  about Division here.... :)

• Like 2

#1 I am absolutely thrilled to hear this! I went to their store during ArtPrize last year and was enchanted by the place. I just wasn't going to venture down to Heartside any other time to buy anything.

#2 I also recall how one of the staff people there were interviewed during the whole Propaganda Doughnuts blow-up, saying that the reasons cited by them weren't really valid, and that they love their location... to that effect.

Oops!

Anyway, I hope they get tons of business now. Welcome! Maybe they are going into the Wealthy at Charles spot?

Edited by GR_Urbanist

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

I don't blame these business for moving from Division to Eastown,  but its a shame.   That stretch of Division, arguably, has some of the best early 20th century commercial architecture anywhere in the city.   NOTE: I'm not trying to nor do I think we should open up another discussion  about Division here.... :)

No I agree, love the architecture on that stretch and want it desperately to attract thriving businesses. Unfortunately it has been slow to catch up. But regardless it will be nice having Woosah on that stretch of Wealthy.

54 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

And bringing the Woosah... ;)

I'm glad to see all of these independent businesses move in close proximity of each other. I think Division is going to need another reboot at some point. 

It got one.  Silverline, remember?  Silverline just spawned a new  Dollar Tree as part of the economic inferno it is unleashing.  I think what Wealthy really needs to give it a kick in the pants is a new bus line.  Maybe that will get Mom back into her Golden Grill.  Or why not just open a business called Mom's Golden Grillz that sells dental appliances?  Then all you need to do is spray paint a "Z" on the sign and BOOM you're in business.  

I hate waiting for Friday to end.

Edited by x99

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2017 at 11:03 AM, mpchicago said:

Woosah Outfitters is moving to Wealthy somewhere near The Winchester, but, I'm told not in the new Terra Firma storefront.

Confirmed, they are not coming (I don't think they looked at it) but we have a different retailer that is.    

Women's fashion / accessories, they are a mid-sized midwestern group of stores based largely in college towns, very hip and trendy brand.  Deal is negotiated but not formally signed.   I'll announce it here first, once the Lease  document is formalized.

We also bought two other buildings in the uptown area, one last month and the other closing next week, details coming soon.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, terra firma said:

Confirmed, they are not coming (I don't think they looked at it) but we have a different retailer that is.    

Women's fashion / accessories, they are a mid-sized midwestern group of stores based largely in college towns, very hip and trendy brand.  Deal is negotiated but not formally signed.   I'll announce it here first, once the Lease  document is formalized.

We also bought two other buildings in the uptown area, one last month and the other closing next week, details coming soon.

Great news! Both that you might be bringing in something pretty great and that  you might be able to do the same for a couple more Uptown buildings. 

RE: Woosah - they are going where Wealthy at Charles was. They've got some really great ideas for the garden area! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Great news! Both that you might be bringing in something pretty great and that  you might be able to do the same for a couple more Uptown buildings. 

RE: Woosah - they are going where Wealthy at Charles was. They've got some really great ideas for the garden area! 

Well there's a little insider info right there. :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I heard Wealthy & Charles is no longer moving across the street - they are retiring. Has anyone else heard the same?

Joe

Mike and Lenn have retired.  Good for them!  They had a long run on the corner.  They told me that they sold to a women's clothing company that was moving off Division.  I assume it is the one being discussed earlier in  this thread.  The new business owner will be living upstairs as Mike and Lenn did while running her business on the main floor.  She plans to preserve the gardens.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 9:48 AM, KCLBADave said:

Mike and Lenn have retired.  Good for them!  They had a long run on the corner.  They told me that they sold to a women's clothing company that was moving off Division.  I assume it is the one being discussed earlier in  this thread.  The new business owner will be living upstairs as Mike and Lenn did while running her business on the main floor.  She plans to preserve the gardens.

Nice! It's a great building. Sad to see Wealthy at Charles go. They had a lot of cool stuff!

Joe