Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

I'm insanely curious about how much work they had to do to this place! It seems like it took a ton since they have been working on it for a long time, and they still have some to do on the outside.

I have no doubt they will have a packed house every day for months. In almost any office in GR, you will likely find someone that raves about the Traverse City location. I know I've heard it!

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I'm insanely curious about how much work they had to do to this place! It seems like it took a ton since they have been working on it for a long time, and they still have some to do on the outside.

Seeing it last night, I was really impressed at how much is new and how many historic elements  have been maintained inside.   I spoke with the builder last night and he told me about the incredible amount of work that went into reclaiming the terrazzo floor alone, and it is impressive.  Plus the open kitchen is really impressive and I cannot believe the amount of work that took.

• Like 3

On 1/9/2018 at 10:28 AM, KCLBADave said:

Seeing it last night, I was really impressed at how much is new and how many historic elements  have been maintained inside.   I spoke with the builder last night and he told me about the incredible amount of work that went into reclaiming the terrazzo floor alone, and it is impressive.  Plus the open kitchen is really impressive and I cannot believe the amount of work that took.

Georgina's is awesome, actually met Tony the chef/owner today. Food is pretty much unlike anything in GR now. And the panoramic view of Wealthy Street is incredible. Great job having a "diverse" staff too!

• Like 2

On 1/8/2018 at 10:36 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Cool. When do you hope to open? 

Sorry for the late response, we were having some issues with getting back into our account.  We should be opening this Spring with a couple of other businesses to follow!

We have some photos of the inside of the building we would love to share, of course only if we are allowed to share them.  And if anyone else has questions about the status of the renovations we can absolutely keep you posted.

On 1/8/2018 at 9:06 PM, arcturus said:

Shortly after posting maybe they got a better offer on the ground floor of the Castle!

Haha, that thing is gigantic!  No, Wealthy St is definitely for us.  The work that the construction company is doing on the inside is amazing and coming along fast. 

58 minutes ago, Patrick Stoffel said:

Sorry for the late response, we were having some issues with getting back into our account.  We should be opening this Spring with a couple of other businesses to follow!

We have some photos of the inside of the building we would love to share, of course only if we are allowed to share them.  And if anyone else has questions about the status of the renovations we can absolutely keep you posted.

Haha, that thing is gigantic!  No, Wealthy St is definitely for us.  The work that the construction company is doing on the inside is amazing and coming along fast. 

Sure, you can post pictures! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2018 at 5:17 AM, Johannes said:

Looking fabulous, can’t wait for the finished product. Any news yet on tenants?

We have secured a couple Tenants for 619 Wealthy.  Fox Naturals (skin care etc) taking the east end, and a photography / art group taking the two west units.

We have an offer from a florist for a center suite, and thus have 800 SF left for Lease....   We tried hard to push for local, street retail Tenants, and couldn't be happier with the mix that appears to be coming together.

-eric

• Like 4

3 hours ago, terra firma said:

Well, it wasn't quite that simple.  They did 'stabilize' the east wall, and there was a new roof put on but---- they forgot to put insulation down first so we're going to peel the entire roof and start over.    Shame on the previous roof contractor; it's unconscionably wasteful.

Full interior demolition started the day we closed, and was followed by interior demising walls which needed much structural help, the floor load capacity was too low for any retail or assembly use so we ended up pouring all new footings in the basement and adding load-bearing walls to carry the floors.     From there, new OSB floors to get things 'level' and we are retaining the open ceiling structure.     Interior walls will be drywalled (or masonry repaired) except for  the exterior 'character' walls which are clay tile and being left as-is in a tip of the hat to the raw character of the structure.

All new utilities were brought in, as the building had zero functioning anything.  Gas, electric, water, sewer.....   starting over.    New electrical, new HVAC, etc...     

Obviously all the windows and doors and storefronts are new, and the result is a very satisfying clean, bright appearance inside the building.

Despite having done dozens of renovations like it, there's never a way to anticipate everything so it has gotten a bit expensive but---- it was a fun challenge and we're glad we did it !    Andy Molesta from our shop (and partner in the building) expertly managed the re-birth of this one in  less than 70 days since our november acquisition---- we're not done yet but will start handing stores over to Tenants for their final finishes sometime in March.    This one went more smoothly than our 650 Wealthy project, although slightly more costly in terms of $ per sq. foot.

I will try to snap some pics and post them here shortly.

We have some other ideas for the neighborhood, of course we'll continue to share them here first.

-eric wynsma, terra firma development llc

Congrats! It's looking great. 

On 1/31/2018 at 6:20 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Thank you for sharing your stories Eric. You guys really do a labor of love on these projects, all the way back to the GR Community Foundation/Ice house. And it's about as risky as it gets to make money doing it. 

Kudos to your tenacity and I think I speak for everyone here in that we look forward to hearing what other projects you have planned. 

Thanks for your kind words and--- it actually goes back to the mid 90-s, , a few small projects and then  the Brass Works project in 1998

We do hope to have an announcement here soon about more retail on Wealthy, on land we already own but will need some community support and municipal approvals; should have some renderings soon for you guys to look at / vote on.

A local / home-brew juice bar / smoothie place indicating some interest in the last  suite at 619 Wealthy- fingers crossed !

-eric

• Like 4

6 hours ago, terra firma said:

Thanks for your kind words and--- it actually goes back to the mid 90-s, , a few small projects and then  the Brass Works project in 1998

We do hope to have an announcement here soon about more retail on Wealthy, on land we already own but will need some community support and municipal approvals; should have some renderings soon for you guys to look at / vote on.

A local / home-brew juice bar / smoothie place indicating some interest in the last  suite at 619 Wealthy- fingers crossed !

-eric

I forgot about Brass Works, but that was actually pre Urban Planet if you can believe it.

Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I forgot about Brass Works, but that was actually pre Urban Planet if you can believe it.

Looking forward to it!

I worked in Brassworks when Founders was tiny and they didn’t serve food. They had some random hot dog place serve lunch from a portable boiler. Boy have times changed. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I worked in Brassworks when Founders was tiny and they didn’t serve food. They had some random hot dog place serve lunch from a portable boiler. Boy have times changed. :)

Me too, I did some contract work for a company in there. Founders used to stink that building up something fierce. :rofl::alc:

22 hours ago, terra firma said:

New construction?  Sounds like it....  Some (I think) good advice  on this:  Since you already have buildings on the street, you know what sort of buildings exist there.  Pay attention when designing to get something approvable.  You've dealt with Wealthy enough that I'm sure you've figured out the real non-starters, though... :) My second piece of advice would be to look at Dixon Architecture in Ada.  Their low-rise work on their Ada headquarters project is beyond exemplary, along with much of their other design work there.  Rarely do I say someone completely nailed it, but on their new building, they did.  It exemplifies what the lost art of a load-bearing facade should look like.  

Edited by x99

On 2/9/2018 at 10:06 AM, x99 said:

New construction?  Sounds like it....  Some (I think) good advice  on this:  Since you already have buildings on the street, you know what sort of buildings exist there.  Pay attention when designing to get something approvable.  You've dealt with Wealthy enough that I'm sure you've figured out the real non-starters, though... :) My second piece of advice would be to look at Dixon Architecture in Ada.  Their low-rise work on their Ada headquarters project is beyond exemplary, along with much of their other design work there.  Rarely do I say someone completely nailed it, but on their new building, they did.  It exemplifies what the lost art of a load-bearing facade should look like.  

Assuming you mean this one. Yes, I agree Dixon does nice work. 

adafirst1.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, I think Dixon did the work on 180 Monroe for Terra Firma (building on the corner of Pearl and Monroe where Mojo's is)

http://www.dixonarch.com/office/180monroe.html

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 4:02 AM, MJLO said:

So I'm over here in Cologne Germany for work and last night at the hotel on the menu my coworker noticed Founders All Day IPA on the menu.  Even though I know they have that deal with a European company for distribution it was still cool to see a piece of home so far away.  I assume it's a good compliment to Founders to have their beer offered in the place that invented it?

Founders has been going gangbusters in Europe, even before their 30% acquisition by Mahou, but that deal definitely extended their reach and visibility. My brother lives in Copenhagen and you can usually find Founders at the grocery store by his house. It's a little crazy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Assuming you mean this one. Yes, I agree Dixon does nice work. 

If I'm not mistaken, I think Dixon did the work on 180 Monroe for Terra Firma (building on the corner of Pearl and Monroe where Mojo's is)

http://www.dixonarch.com/office/180monroe.html

So they did.  That is also a nice building.  And they have gotten better at it since then.  180 Monroe still suffers a little from the "peel off brick facade" look. The building posted above makes much better use of brick as a building material, and carries out the look of a load-bearing facade very nicely.  I hope they get hired for more work like this for historic district infill.  

Not sure if this goes here, or in the parking thread?  Blodgett is on Wealthy, so maybe?  Admins, feel free to move it....

Spectrum Health is taking some heat from EGR residents over the replacement of an aging (and failing, they are literally propping it up) parking structure. 

Mlive has this report:  http://www.mlive.com/east-grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/02/east_grand_rapids_residents_vo.html

I thought it looked nice.  The fact that this is a replacement effort and only adding 40 spaces, makes me wonder how you can call it "imposing"?

Renderings, plans and PC minutes available here:  http://mi-eastgrandrapids.civicplus.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/363?html=true

image.thumb.png.684d431074244739523bb4181ded9fef.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, x99 said:

So they did.  That is also a nice building.  And they have gotten better at it since then.  180 Monroe still suffers a little from the "peel off brick facade" look. The building posted above makes much better use of brick as a building material, and carries out the look of a load-bearing facade very nicely.  I hope they get hired for more work like this for historic district infill.  

Dixon has done many projects for us over many years.  180 Monroe (now owned by CWD) was built to a concept originally drawn by VIA design- the rest of the planning  and architectural work was indeed done by Dixon.--   I still use VIA and Dixon both quite a lot.

OK--- back to Wealthy Street...