Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

I know NIMBYism is a bad word here on this forum but if the development is literally in my back yard (I hate myself for using "literally" ) I worry because the last time Blodgett did a major construction project, it shook the ground so much that our plaster cracked throughout our house.  We complained and were told to kick rocks.  I think the building itself looks alright but I know the people on Sherman are not happy about the surface parking lot that they are about to get and worry about the lights that illuminate the lot at night.  

In regards to the trees hiding the structure, I would point out that those trees are not all evergreens and so outside of the season, the leaves won't be present to offer the same optimal coverage that the rendering projects.  Now that being said, the runner in the rendering is a very accurate portrait of what the future will look like.  

I'm on this forum because I enjoy watching this area grow and I am in favor of growth but this parking structure will not increase the available parking spaces that much and this is in conjunction with Blodgett removing many services that it once had.  It's now more or less an overflow from Butterworth.  They pay very little in taxes and only donate fireworks for the 4th.  I'm not sure Blodgett should invest so much in a building that they seem to be slowly leaving.

• Like 2

I have a childhood friend that grew up on Sherman. I can see how people on that street would be wary of development—as it is now, it's screened fairly well. If I lived there, I would be concerned with how changes on the south side of the Blodgett property might adversely impact the feel of the neighborhood, as well as contributing noise (though at least AeroMed doesn't land there anymore!).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terra firma said:

Dixon has done many projects for us over many years.  180 Monroe (now owned by CWD) was built to a concept originally drawn by VIA design- the rest of the planning  and architectural work was indeed done by Dixon.--   I still use VIA and Dixon both quite a lot.

OK--- back to Wealthy Street...

Love VIA's work. Brian Barkwell does a great job (might be a little biased, as I am related).

5 hours ago, GRJohn said:

I know NIMBYism is a bad word here on this forum but if the development is literally in my back yard (I hate myself for using "literally" ) I worry because the last time Blodgett did a major construction project, it shook the ground so much that our plaster cracked throughout our house.  We complained and were told to kick rocks.  I think the building itself looks alright but I know the people on Sherman are not happy about the surface parking lot that they are about to get and worry about the lights that illuminate the lot at night.  

In regards to the trees hiding the structure, I would point out that those trees are not all evergreens and so outside of the season, the leaves won't be present to offer the same optimal coverage that the rendering projects.  Now that being said, the runner in the rendering is a very accurate portrait of what the future will look like.  

I'm on this forum because I enjoy watching this area grow and I am in favor of growth but this parking structure will not increase the available parking spaces that much and this is in conjunction with Blodgett removing many services that it once had.  It's now more or less an overflow from Butterworth.  They pay very little in taxes and only donate fireworks for the 4th.  I'm not sure Blodgett should invest so much in a building that they seem to be slowly leaving.

Despite my snarkiness earlier, thank you for speaking up & I meant no offense to you or the neighborhood personally.  I just didn't think the neighbors' position was well-served by the articles' quotes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RegalTDP said:

Despite my snarkiness earlier, thank you for speaking up & I meant no offense to you or the neighborhood personally.  I just didn't think the neighbors' position was well-served by the articles' quotes.

No offense taken at all.  I just wanted to give the perspective of someone who is involved, and I didn't want to give the impression that we were a bunch of pitchfork wielding villagers angry every time someone puts a shovel in the dirt.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, terra firma said:

Anxious to see what happens with this one, awesome spot with a garage and parking area behind it:

http://signatureassociates.catylist.com/listing/30216151/710-Wealthy-St-SE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49503

Quite a gap between the listing price, $710,000, and the tax assessment value ($55,000 2X = $110,000).

https://www.accesskent.com/Property/realEstate.do?parcelNo=41-14-31-228-003&ele=0

I'm guessing the tax assessment did not consider the value of the front window artwork.

DeHops Brewing Company & Cafe just opened up in Standale.  It's just south of Lake Michigan Drive a bit east of Wilson.  https://dehops.com/

And Michigan Moonshine Distillery will be opening in Grandville in the new development at Wilson and Chicago Drive.  They were recently denied opening in Jenison despite previous verbal approval.  They get a brand new building out of the mess, so good for them.  Facebook announcement

17 hours ago, walker said:

Quite a gap between the listing price, $710,000, and the tax assessment value ($55,000 2X = $110,000).

https://www.accesskent.com/Property/realEstate.do?parcelNo=41-14-31-228-003&ele=0

I'm guessing the tax assessment did not consider the value of the front window artwork.

Hey, I hope they save all of those fish. That work is iconic on Wealthy Street! 

17 hours ago, MidtownTroy said:

Noticed that the dark blue house next door to Jonny B'z had its storefront under considerable demo today. Anyone know what's going on there? 

Last I heard it was going to be a combination Kula Yoga studio and Wanderlux Beauty store. 

I heard a rumor that New Holland's Knickerbocker is not doing so hot. I have to say the last 3 or 4 times we've been there the food has been awful. And the place is ginormous, almost too big. I have to imagine it's a lot of overhead. 

If true, it'd be cool to see that place re-imagined into something similar to the Downtown Market or even like the BOB. Have a bunch of breweries and eateries in there. New Holland could be the "anchor" in a much smaller space. 

I’ve heard similar things but yet it always seems relatively busy there, but not insane like Founders... I do think they should break up the spaces. I noticed last time they are doing some comedy in the lounge, I know they do jazz nights on the second floor with West Michigan Jazz Society and I think I even saw they were having a dance party one night. I feel like that could be a great use of all that space...different venues with different options.  Then again, maybe they’re doing fine the way it is. Side note...I did see Jolly Pumpkin is close to opening. 

A portion of the Knickerbocker is better utilized in the summer months.  Lets see how things ramp up once the weather is warm again.  With increased interest to the West Side only growing, I don't see their numbers going down, unless service tanks.  They have an ok spot and its better in the summer.

On 3/10/2018 at 3:50 PM, EastownLeo said:

A portion of the Knickerbocker is better utilized in the summer months.  Lets see how things ramp up once the weather is warm again.  With increased interest to the West Side only growing, I don't see their numbers going down, unless service tanks.  They have an ok spot and its better in the summer.

I like New Holland's beer, don't get me wrong. And it is a cool place to in the warmer summer months, but you can't survive in Michigan on busy warmer months.  That's why I think New Holland staying there but making it a "beer" and foodie destination would be really cool. Bring in Short's and Old Nation and maybe even Bell's. Just have walk-up food counters and quit trying to compete with real restaurants. That's what Founders does and no one complains. 

Plus, the city really needs to quit being a bunch of a-holes and address the parking issue on the West Side. No directional signage to find parking. And the one lot on Front, when you finally find it, often has a sign in front that makes it seem like it's not available to the public. Walt's lot across the street only takes cash. :rofl: 

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I like New Holland's beer, don't get me wrong. And it is a cool place to in the warmer summer months, but you can't survive in Michigan on busy warmer months.  That's why I think New Holland staying there but making it a "beer" and foodie destination would be really cool. Bring in Short's and Old Nation and maybe even Bell's. Just have walk-up food counters and quit trying to compete with real restaurants. That's what Founders does and no one complains. 

Plus, the city really needs to quit being a bunch of a-holes and address the parking issue on the West Side. No directional signage to find parking. And the one lot on Front, when you finally find it, often has a sign in front that makes it seem like it's not available to the public. Walt's lot across the street only takes cash. :rofl: 

Founders has the luxury to serve a straight forward men because they serve great beer.  New Holland has decent to good beer and a very hit and miss menu. I don't know that they've found their niche yet, but I agree their space is massive, perhaps too big?  But they are located in a burgeoning neighborhood which I assume will help them long-term. 

On 3/10/2018 at 8:56 AM, GRDadof3 said:

I heard a rumor that New Holland's Knickerbocker is not doing so hot. I have to say the last 3 or 4 times we've been there the food has been awful. And the place is ginormous, almost too big. I have to imagine it's a lot of overhead. 

I've never been there when it's busy but I tend to avoid those types of places when they're super busy. Also, I find their beer to be sub-par at best and the food is hit or miss but every time I drive by I see lots of people coming and going. The space is enormous and I would agree that the overhead is probably massive. 

14 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The signage is abysmal but there is plenty of parking on the Westside in Lots 7 & 8. I feel like no one parks there because of the lack of signage. 

39 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

I've never been there when it's busy but I tend to avoid those types of places when they're super busy. Also, I find their beer to be sub-par at best and the food is hit or miss but every time I drive by I see lots of people coming and going. The space is enormous and I would agree that the overhead is probably massive. 

The signage is abysmal but there is plenty of parking on the Westside in Lots 7 & 8. I feel like no one parks there because of the lack of signage. 

Agreed. There is plenty of parking nearby but the lack of signage and one-way streets make it confusing to access unless you're familiar.

I'm usually only there in the evening on a weekend, but I've never been there when it's not packed with a long wait. I almost always just grab a beer at the bar and find a standing table to order food.

• Like 2

Parking is not obvious.  For people that just Google the address and then try to find parking after they are there, it can be very confusing.  I've been there 3-4 times and never thought to park in Lot 7 or 8.  I've always circled the next few blocks (West and North) (& complained to everyone in my truck) until I found something on the street.  

• Like 1

I've never had a problem finding parking in and around downtown, including while visiting establishments on Bridge.  I'm also not afraid of walking.    That's not to say that the city couldn't do a better job of directing non-natives, where to park.   

BTW, I've been to the Knickerbocker twice.  Funny enough, I liked the food and beer I ordered both times.  Maybe I have lower standards :D   It really is a cool space. 

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2017 at 10:12 AM, GVSUChris said:

Great news! Both that you might be bringing in something pretty great and that  you might be able to do the same for a couple more Uptown buildings. 

RE: Woosah - they are going where Wealthy at Charles was. They've got some really great ideas for the garden area! 

Not sure if this was mentioned, but Erica Lang, the owner of Woosah, is planning for a small coffee and snack operation on her adjacent garden property at Wealthy and Charles Ave.   She's requesting the city allow her to add a small 50's style trailer to the property as a food truck.   It really is a very nice garden space and would be a nice addition IMO. 

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, mpchicago said:

Not sure if this was mentioned, but Erica Lang, the owner of Woosah, is planning for a small coffee and snack operation on her adjacent garden property at Wealthy and Charles Ave.   She's requesting the city allow her to add a small 50's style trailer to the property as a food truck.   It really is a very nice garden space and would be a nice addition IMO. 

I think that would be perfect in that great garden spot.