Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

2 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Looks like Georgina’s might have some issues. Will it stay open?  https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/6-15-18.cfm

People are already talking about boycotting. I don't see this ending well for them, especially in a progressive/liberal area like Wealthy Street. 

Makes me now wonder why the owner physically moved from Traverse City to open this restaurant, but kept the TC store open. Escaping something? 

• Like 1

Not sure the reason but after 7 straight years of attending Founders Fest attendance was down, way down.   At least 20%.  I liked the new layout extending around Station 6 with the stage on the north end.   The good news was there was hardly a line at their class 3 booth for beers like CBS!

Yikes!  That is about as textbook a case of sexual harassment and unlawful retaliation as there is.  If this was anybody but the owner, I could see this surviving, but unless he sells, I would be very surprised to see it come out the other end. 

It reminds me of a restaurateur when I lived in NE Wisconsin.  In my opinion, he had the best restaurant in town, or at least top 3.  He had a series of issues including sexual harassment, and he eventually lost everything (not necessarily directly related to the harassment).

53 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

Yikes!  That is about as textbook a case of sexual harassment and unlawful retaliation as there is.  If this was anybody but the owner, I could see this surviving, but unless he sells, I would be very surprised to see it come out the other end. 

It reminds me of a restaurateur when I lived in NE Wisconsin.  In my opinion, he had the best restaurant in town, or at least top 3.  He had a series of issues including sexual harassment, and he eventually lost everything (not necessarily directly related to the harassment).

Traverse City has some interesting restaurant stories. There was a restaurant over near Torch Lake that burned down suspiciously about 15 years ago, and then the owner re-opened in downtown Traverse City not long after.  Sounds like this complaint was filed on the Traverse City Georgina's and not here, but it'd be interesting to know if anything funky happened here locally yet. 

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

People are already talking about boycotting. I don't see this ending well for them, especially in a progressive/liberal area like Wealthy Street. 

Makes me now wonder why the owner physically moved from Traverse City to open this restaurant, but kept the TC store open. Escaping something? 

Times up! 

Hopefully the investors can oust the 'owner' and stay afloat while this shakes out. 

1 hour ago, arcturus said:

Not sure the reason but after 7 straight years of attending Founders Fest attendance was down, way down.   At least 20%.  I liked the new layout extending around Station 6 with the stage on the north end.   The good news was there was hardly a line at their class 3 booth for beers like CBS!

The lineup was less than stellar, it was 90 degrees with 99 % humidity and at least for me and most of my friends, its always the same day as GLBTQ+ Pride festival, so that's a non-starter. 

Friends of Wealthy Street---

This afternoon, we are hosting a small party to introduce our concept and drawings for a proposed new project at 620 Wealthy St. SE (existing surface lot at the corner of Wealthy and James).    

Our gathering is very informal, and is being hosted by Wealthy St. Studios, in our newly-renovated project at 619 Wealthy St.

Light appetizers, beer and wine while supplies last !

We'd love your input on our proposed development, and a chance to show you some of our other work in the neighborhood.

Today (tuesday, June 26) from 4:00 - 6:00 pm

Hope to see some of you there !

eric wynsma / terra firma development llc

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, terra firma said:

This afternoon, we are hosting a small party to introduce our concept and drawings for a proposed new project at 620 Wealthy St. SE (existing surface lot at the corner of Wealthy and James).    

Oh!  Can't wait to see what you have planned!   Bummer!  Not going to make it in time.... Chicago traffic is already a #itch this time of day!

Please post renders soon!

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 1

This is interesting to see.

On one hand, One less surface lot, and a fill in streetfront. But on the other, that will introduce a parking crunch on the street, and people will wonder why build there when you have 4 buildings that need renovation or demolishing, and two large parcels of land that could potentially house a new building.

7 hours ago, terra firma said:

Our gathering is very informal, and is being hosted by Wealthy St. Studios, in our newly-renovated project at 619 Wealthy St.

Light appetizers, beer and wine while supplies last !

We'd love your input on our proposed development, and a chance to show you some of our other work in the neighborhood.

Today (tuesday, June 26) from 4:00 - 6:00 pm

Hope to see some of you there !

eric wynsma / terra firma development llc

Exciting stuff Eric! Did you unveil anything that you can share? I just saw this and missed it. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, arcturus said:

When your popular brewery relocates to a larger building and is unprepared.

https://www.facebook.com/railtownbrewing/

See this all the time.

I'm glad they're having great success with  their new location but yeah, that's unfortunate. I have a coworker that lives out there and they were so excited for them to start serving food, I wouldn't be surprised if fans were just waiting  to flood into the new space. Also, their post from Friday seems to allude to 'parking challenges' way out there.  Maybe they should add a 'Mobility' department like GR?? 

9 hours ago, arcturus said:

When your popular brewery relocates to a larger building and is unprepared.

https://www.facebook.com/railtownbrewing/

See this all the time.

Wow, congrats on their success. There's not really much else out there in that area. I need to go check it out! :)  j/k

I also saw that the new patio at Harmony Brewing Co is open now. Anyone check it out yet? 

10 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Wow, congrats on their success. There's not really much else out there in that area. I need to go check it out! :)  j/k

I also saw that the new patio at Harmony Brewing Co is open now. Anyone check it out yet? 

I haven't been to check out the new patio yet, actually I haven't been to the Eastown location in at least year since the Westside location is so convenient.  The addition of pizza at the Westside location has been supremely tasty. 

32 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

I haven't been to check out the new patio yet, actually I haven't been to the Eastown location in at least year since the Westside location is so convenient.  The addition of pizza at the Westside location has been supremely tasty. 

Patio is nice, but because of sun can be hit or miss.  Late sun warms the place up. They usually close down the garage doors and throw on the AC but it takes a while to chill down.  It will be a better space in the spring and fall as temps drop.   One thing I have noticed is that they have not been opening up all the seating.  They usually close off the outdoor picnic tables during the dinner rush.  They are also slow to fill open large tables in the new section.  They have closed the "upper room" section and do not seem to be seating anyone there (used to be our favorite spot).  I am guessing they are having staffing issues, and that is one reason for not opening up all seating.  They have started to test pizza and beer delivery from their new back kitchen.   Overall its still a great spot, they just need to break in the new shoes.

• GRDadof3 changed the title to Wealthy Street Mega Thread

Here we go, the property next to Wealthy Street Bakery is seeing some potential movement. Request to tear down the house and build a one-story retail development here. Did the HPC give permission previously to demolish the house?  Terra Firma is working on this project. 

https://goo.gl/maps/p1Ynfcb48B32

1414015463_616wealthyrendering.JPG.5dd65ce90d51848c9777e91d865a1c73.JPG

264950297_616-620wealthyrendering2.JPG.9be88c64617a9f80e4fb367ba62bf9ce.JPG

614869370_616-620wealthyrendering3.JPG.56eb9e604e9d7c587608ca8d026ab776.JPG

1119591805_616Wealthysiteplan.thumb.JPG.324c6248a2a517bbc90dd5b85dbdbe6a.JPG

5 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Yes, please!!! HPC, that house is not historic and isnt something that we need to "preserve". It is way more important to build up commerce on the street.

Also, is Louise Earl Butcher moving? I could swear I saw a banner driving by saying something about that, but I went by too fast

No they are not moving BUT A Pleasant Dog is - they put a banner up on their fence so I could see how you got that confused going by quickly. They've been needing more space and an easier location for some time now so I'll be interested to see what might go in their place. It's a cool building and a nice corner lot. 

• Like 1