Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

15 hours ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

I ate at Sundance last year before they started construction and ate their yesterday at the same outdoor table and the difference is amazing. It just makes that area feel.... Complete

I think you meant for this to be in the Warner Tower thread? 

• Like 1

Who wants to start a "Go Fund Me" campaign to buyout the awful Family Dollar store next door?

May not be practical but just dreaming.

Or at least they could invest in cleaning it up to make it not be such an eyesore.  I understand some people in the neighborhood depend on it but…

Edited by john_denver

On 8/11/2018 at 6:47 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Here we go, the property next to Wealthy Street Bakery is seeing some potential movement. Request to tear down the house and build a one-story retail development here. Did the HPC give permission previously to demolish the house?  Terra Firma is working on this project. 

https://goo.gl/maps/p1Ynfcb48B32

1414015463_616wealthyrendering.JPG.5dd65ce90d51848c9777e91d865a1c73.JPG

The last request to demo the dilapidated house was denied by HPC, however, I don't think there were concrete plans for the property.   This may give them the nudge to permit.  I can see them asking for a second story, which would not be a bad idea.   Seems like it would be super easy to rent apartments there.

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mpchicago said:

The last request to demo the dilapidated house was denied by HPC, however, I don't think there were concrete plans for the property.   This may give them the nudge to permit.  I can see them asking for a second story, which would not be a bad idea.   Seems like it would be super easy to rent apartments there.

I would agree with that, but not added onto this design. I feel like that would look like the Electric Cheetah building which in my opinion is not Grand Rapids' finest infill. :P 

6 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

This cant be right!

They are just going to up and ditch GR ? They get a ton of business, and are getting all types of praise! Getting that here was really important for the street.

I'm actually really disgusted at the owners on this one. Just unbelievable.

They posted this three days ago on the same day that they updated their Facebook page with a new phone number and website. This is bizarre. 

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

This cant be right!

They are just going to up and ditch GR ? They get a ton of business, and are getting all types of praise! Getting that here was really important for the street.

I'm actually really disgusted at the owners on this one. Just unbelievable.

You should definitely be disgusted with the owner, if the allegations of sexual harassment and retaliation at his TC restaurant are true:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/06/restaurant_owner_accused_of_se.html

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

You should definitely be disgusted with the owner, if the allegations of sexual harassment and retaliation at his TC restaurant are true:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/06/restaurant_owner_accused_of_se.html

I say good riddance to the guy. It's a fine space, in a great location. Someone will step up to the plate (I loved their food, but the guy is a creep). 

Joe

• Thanks 1

I'm in agreement with everyone on this guy. Sadly before the news broke we had a lot of people telling us these rumors so when it came out we weren't surprised. 

NOW - a happy change so subject! 

Jean Stoffer - local designer who does high end work - is opening a home store on Wealthy! It's going to sell home decor, furniture, etc. and REALLY add to the budding infill in that stretch of Wealthy. I love Cherry where our store is but I truly love that stretch of Wealthy. It's going in where "From the Heart Yoga" was and they're going to really make the exterior sexy. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GVSUChris said:

I'm in agreement with everyone on this guy. Sadly before the news broke we had a lot of people telling us these rumors so when it came out we weren't surprised. 

NOW - a happy change so subject! 

Jean Stoffer - local designer who does high end work - is opening a home store on Wealthy! It's going to sell home decor, furniture, etc. and REALLY add to the budding infill in that stretch of Wealthy. I love Cherry where our store is but I truly love that stretch of Wealthy. It's going in where "From the Heart Yoga" was and they're going to really make the exterior sexy. 

Nice! Thank you for the positive endcap to this thread on a Friday afternoon. :)

• Like 1

Was sold for $875,000 in 03/2017. And now they're asking $1.5M...crazy!

Yeah, but since the last purchase, there has been tons of work done to the main floor and apartments upstairs. The sale includes all the equipment and the liquor license. I’m guessing he has about 1.5m into it already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, uncus said:

Yeah, but since the last purchase, there has been tons of work done to the main floor and apartments upstairs. The sale includes all the equipment and the liquor license. I’m guessing he has about 1.5m into it already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fully renovated building with kitchen and liquor license on one of the most popular streets in the city. I have to believe it will go quickly, although 1.5 mil is on the high end for GR.

15 hours ago, elcelc said:

Well this thread has been a little too quiet.  But now...

https://www.grbj.com/articles/91369-regions-first-brewery-co-op-on-tap

It sure has been a long time coming for High Five. I wish them all of the luck with their location but am concerned its suburban location would be a challenge. Either way, looking forward to checking it out. 

On 8/11/2018 at 7:47 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Here we go, the property next to Wealthy Street Bakery is seeing some potential movement. Request to tear down the house and build a one-story retail development here. Did the HPC give permission previously to demolish the house?  Terra Firma is working on this project. 

https://goo.gl/maps/p1Ynfcb48B32

1414015463_616wealthyrendering.JPG.5dd65ce90d51848c9777e91d865a1c73.JPG

264950297_616-620wealthyrendering2.JPG.9be88c64617a9f80e4fb367ba62bf9ce.JPG

614869370_616-620wealthyrendering3.JPG.56eb9e604e9d7c587608ca8d026ab776.JPG

1119591805_616Wealthysiteplan.thumb.JPG.324c6248a2a517bbc90dd5b85dbdbe6a.JPG

Pardon my absence here---- YES we received approval from the HPC on wednesday evening to construct the retail building you see above (thanks for posting those, grdad) and will be moving forward without delay.     Greg Metz will have to wrap up final drawings now that we are approved, Andy Molesta from Terra Firma will oversee the project, which will be built by McGraw Construction as we have a lengthy and  favorable relationship there.  Site work and demo of the existing structure hopefully in September, then we'll get right into it.

Building overall is around 3,100 Sq. Ft, and is divisible for 1-3 Tenants but our experience in this market area suggests we'll likely end up with two Tenants @ 1,550 each.    It's nice to have some flexibility though.

We have no Tenants secured for this, but several inquiries from various retail users both in and out of our existing market area.    As we've learned about the Wealthy St corridor, 'if we build it, they will come.'

It's been fun--- looking forward to getting this one started this fall !

Many thanks to this online community and the neighbors and neighborhood associations for the overwhelming letters of support for this important corner.

• Like 4