Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

6 hours ago, john_denver said:

Who owns that space?  Now that the old stuff is coming down, are there any plans for a new building?

The Wild Bunch still owns it. With it torn down and completely cleared it will actually have some real value to it. Monetary that is. A burned out hulk of a building is tough to sell. 

16 hours ago, Sparty97 said:

Sounds eerily similar to what Gravel Bottom has proposed with opening a second location on Plainfield.  

1. Both have really nice smaller places in high rent locations.

2. Both want to open a second location in a large warehouse/strip mall location to expand production.

Is Gravel Bottom still pursuing that? Last time I was at Plainfield Plaza the space looked empty and still had a for lease sign.

16 hours ago, Sparty97 said:

Sounds eerily similar to what Gravel Bottom has proposed with opening a second location on Plainfield.  

1. Both have really nice smaller places in high rent locations.

2. Both want to open a second location in a large warehouse/strip mall location to expand production.

Didn't Railtown Brewing also do something similar? Although it was right in the same vicinity as they currently are, but an expansion into a big warehouse that doubles as a taproom and production facility. 

I guess you could add Elk Brewing to that too. 

I do think this is a smart move for Vivant. Like they said there really are not a lot of locally owned places out in that Kentwood/28th Street area.  Same with Hopcat opening at Knapp's Corner, which I've heard is packed all the time. Haven't had a change to try it yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The Wild Bunch still owns it. With it torn down and completely cleared it will actually have some real value to it. Monetary that is. A burned out hulk of a building is tough to sell. 

A friend on mine ran into the new owners at lunch at the Winchester the other day.  So it looks like it has been sold.  They did not have any specific plans yet so I think it will sit for a while.

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Didn't Railtown Brewing also do something similar? Although it was right in the same vicinity as they currently are, but an expansion into a big warehouse that doubles as a taproom and production facility. 

Railtown built a larger facility, literally right next door to their original facility, that would allow them more production, warehousing and the ability to have a kitchen. I would assume they vacated their old space but am not really sure. 

1 hour ago, ctpgr34 said:

Looking at the city records it was approved last December.........

No inside information, but I had heard that things were delayed for Plainfield due to additional costs with the new Ada location.  I didn't get the impression that it was canceled but rather delayed.

• Like 1

Hideout Brewery is for sale.

Always seemed to be in a challenging location to me, and competition is obviously fierce, especially with Hopcat and Creston being close by.  I liked their beers okay.  I really liked the beer garden

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/the-hideout-brewing-company-for-sale-in-gr/1474962574

1 hour ago, discgrab21 said:

Hideout Brewery is for sale.

Always seemed to be in a challenging location to me, and competition is obviously fierce, especially with Hopcat and Creston being close by.  I liked their beers okay.  I really liked the beer garden

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/the-hideout-brewing-company-for-sale-in-gr/1474962574

Definitely an odd location. Seemed to always have a steady group of loyal patrons. I could never stop smelling Hubba Tubba in there but some of their beers were pretty taste.

It's another building that needs to come down and be replaced (or be seriously renovated) instead of being a place where the owner just leaves it boarded-up and stores crap in it like this is still 1990s era Wealthy St.

Just sell it for what it is worth, and stop being in love with the notion that you "own a building" or thinking you are going to get 2 million for it. People with some vision can do far more with these places.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, terra firma said:

My concern with the Wealthy St. corridor is that it's very "boutiquey" in its retail offerings, which while quaint, doesn't seem to be very practical, or sustainable.  As I walked through the area tonight from Eastern down to the Wealthy St. Bakery, I counted at least a half dozen salons, only 1 yoga studio , a few apparel shops, what appears to be a specialty florist, maybe some cool knick-knack shops, among others.  There doesn't really seem to be anything practical from a neighborhood standpoint.  If I still lived there I feel like I'd have to still trudge out to Knapp's Corner,  maybe Michigan or Bridge, to do my everyday errands.  I suppose I could get my hair cut at one of the Salons, but I've always been intimidated by the posh type places that charge $40 for a basic haircut.    I still feel like it's largely missing that practical component that would keep people on the strip to do their daily chores, vs having to get in the car.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MJLO said:

My concern with the Wealthy St. corridor is that it's very "boutiquey" in its retail offerings, which while quaint, doesn't seem to be very practical, or sustainable.  As I walked through the area tonight from Eastern down to the Wealthy St. Bakery, I counted at least a half dozen salons, only 1 yoga studio , a few apparel shops, what appears to be a specialty florist, maybe some cool knick-knack shops, among others.  There doesn't really seem to be anything practical from a neighborhood standpoint.  If I still lived there I feel like I'd have to still trudge out to Knapp's Corner,  maybe Michigan or Bridge, to do my everyday errands.  I suppose I could get my hair cut at one of the Salons, but I've always been intimidated by the posh type places that charge $40 for a basic haircut.    I still feel like it's largely missing that practical component that would keep people on the strip to do their daily chores, vs having to get in the car.   

What would you like to see? Other than a decent grocery store/market. Which I think there may be plans for some type of market announced soon.