Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

What is up with Acanthis Antiques. First the sign on the door said they were taking a break because of road construction. Then Their name came off the windows and now the windows are covered with paper. Does anyone know what's happening?

unfortunately they're calling it quits - at least temporarily - in the retail setting. she is selling her things online and at occasional shows around town/allegan, etc.

unfortunately they're calling it quits - at least temporarily - in the retail setting. she is selling her things online and at occasional shows around town/allegan, etc.

yeah that pretty much sucks.. that place had some really cool stuff. I mean I understand how online can be good business, but as long as the place is still there, why not do both street and online business? bring the laptop into the store.. guess it is probably a rent issue... I just wish more business would stick around

I took Wealthy Street from Diamond to 131 this morning. It's nice to have it back!

It's great, but I miss the quiet street already.

Having huge delivery trucks riding down the street at 7:00am will do that.

Somewhat off topic, but I have no idea where to post this. It looks like they are starting to put in the traffic circle on Jefferson and Cherry. Sorry no pictures.

How soon are the ones on Wealthy going to go in?

It's great, but I miss the quiet street already.

Having huge delivery trucks riding down the street at 7:00am will do that.

Somewhat off topic, but I have no idea where to post this. It looks like they are starting to put in the traffic circle on Jefferson and Cherry. Sorry no pictures.

How soon are the ones on Wealthy going to go in?

Perfect timing GRU? ^_^

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss....xml&coll=6

I love MDOT's information site on how to navigate a Roundabout. How did MDOT manage to hire the Speak and Spell guy???

Folks might want to check out the City information page too.

I fear a lot of close calls from out-of-town drivers....

• 2 weeks later...

So, does anyone know what happened to the flower shop on Wealthy by the new Stray Dog? It seems to have disappeared......

I know that they had been struggling since they opened. There was a new baby, and health issues, and the business never seemed to take off. It's too bad, I hate to see a business close so soon after it opens. They will be missed.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd pass this along.

Wealthy heights includes Donald, Robey, Freyling, Calkins, and Visser (Wealthy Street Theater/Jamaican Dave's Neighborhood).

StreetWise!

Raising the bar to improve our streets

Neighborhood-Based Planning

To Make Wealthy Heights Streets

More beautiful and More Functional

Would one-way traffic make things better or worse? How about connecting some streets at the north end? Can we make Wealthy Heights greener?

WHO: Wealthy Heights Residents

WHAT: Meet with city staff members, architects and

planners to share street improvement ideas

WHEN: Planning sessions at the Wealthy Theater, 5:30 p.m.

Thursday, November 29

Refreshments will be served!

WHY NOW? In 2008 Wealthy Heights streets will be torn up for sewer work. This provides a great opportunity to have other street improvements made at the same time-if we plan ahead and let the city know what we want. Join the experts responsible for this work to create ideas for how Wealthy Heights streets can be improved.

For more information: Contact KC or Cherry at East Hills Council of

Neighbors. 616.454.9079

Wealthy Heights includes Donald, Robey, Freyling, Calkins & Visser Streets

Grand Rapids Community Foundation

Isn't there a meeting tonight too?

Thought I'd pass this along.

Wealthy heights includes Donald, Robey, Freyling, Calkins, and Visser (Wealthy Street Theater/Jamaican Dave's Neighborhood).

StreetWise!

Would one-way traffic make things better or worse? How about connecting some streets at the north end? Can we make Wealthy Heights greener?

Thursday, November 29

WHY NOW? In 2008 Wealthy Heights streets will be torn up for sewer work. This provides a great opportunity to have other street improvements made at the same time-if we plan ahead and let the city know what we want. Join the experts responsible for this work to create ideas for how Wealthy Heights streets can be improved.

Neighbors. 616.454.9079

There is a meeting tonight at 5:30

StreetWise!

Would one-way traffi c make things better or worse?

How about connecting some streets at the north end?

Can we make Wealthy Heights greener?

Thursday, October 11

Thursday, November 1

Thursday, November 29

WHY NOW? In 2008 Wealthy Heights streets will be torn

up for sewer work. This provides a great opportunity to have

other street improvements made at the same time-if we

plan ahead and let the city know what we want. Join

the experts responsible for this work to create ideas for how

Wealthy Heights streets can be improved.

Neighbors. 616.454.9079

So, does anyone know what happened to the flower shop on Wealthy by the new Stray Dog? It seems to have disappeared......

I'm always sad to see a business come and go so quickly -- I see someones dreams and savings lost, as well as what it says about the neighborhood (or perception of the neighborhood). This week, I've cruised the neighborhood at night and during the day. The neighborhood is shaping up nicely. I had never seen the inside of the building, so peeked in the windows to see what the layout is. I've been ruminating/fantasizing about what could go in there. I'd like to see something more basic/useful go in there, I don't think the times and demographic will support more boutique or art shops. So, I thought about what I leave the neighborhood for and one thing that stands out for me is office services. Every month or so, I take my saved up projects down to Staples on 28th. Stuff like large runs of copies, color copies, laminating. Nearby I can go to the Fulton Heights Family Fare for a few copies. Storr will do it and I like to support them, but it's not self serve -- an inconvenience for me (and them?). I've gone over to the UPS store in Gaslight Village -- unhelpful, unfriendly and unappealing. I like to have access to a work table and paper cutter like the big box office places provide. What other services might area folk, home businesses and local small businesses utilize? Maybe some design/layout services? The space could accommodate 2 or 3 small (compatible) service businesses. A tailor? Computer Whiz? Like the Apple store genius bar -- simple stuff like adding memory or "Why is my WP application displaying documents in 24 pt. characters?" kind of stuff. I could envision heading over there 2 or 3 times a week to hang out at Stray Dog and get odds and ends handled at the Biz Shoppe.

Anyone else want to brainstorm on this and maybe plant seeds for an entrepreneur out there?

Still wishing that Wealthy Market was a market that I could support.

BTW - Bear Manor: Your houses look great. I'm looking forward to seeing how the plantings look next year.

THEN -- next on my wish list will be the plaza east of there that has Jamaica Daves. Could he swing moving up front and putting in more dine-in space? Is the owner of that property community minded? (Willing and able to improve the property and attract new businesses.)

THEN -- next on my wish list will be the plaza east of there that has Jamaica Daves. Could he swing moving up front and putting in more dine-in space? Is the owner of that property community minded? (Willing and able to improve the property and attract new businesses.)

Well...it's on the market!

Cool. Thanks for the information. My father-in-law lives on Donald Place and I always pondered what they could do to make the street better. It would be interesting to see the north end of Donald, Robey and Fryling get connected at the north end (kind of like a giant M).

Joe

It's the neighborhood north of Wealthy St. between Fuller and Diamond. 5 streets -- all dead end, except Culkins.

Google: 'Wealthy Heights Land Trust' to see what's going on.