Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

How did the streetwise meeting go last thursday? I was there at the beginning but had to leave early. I know a lot of people were keen with replacing the old abandoned McDonalds with something more friendly to the neighborhood. Interesting thing - i just found out that that building is now owned by the bank and i'm guessing a lot easier to buy. Anyone know a philanthropist willing to buy a local eyesore and donating to the community?

I second this question.. :)

Wing Heaven is being built out and should be ready to go by the end of the month. We have gotten a lot of interest in the other spaces but no one willing to the next step. Currently still in communication with a day care provider, a law office, and a few other retail stores. It seems that either the leasee is interested but cannot get financing, or they have the financing and are really moving slowly on signing. I am not telling you all anything, but it is a tough economy out there right now and everyone is being careful, business owners and banks. It should help once we get a few businesses in there. The residential units are going well. I think we only have 6 of 24 left. We have to be full by year's end, and don't think we will have a problem.

As far as the old Mc D's goes, it is a REAL weird deal. Only the front portion of the project has been foreclosed on, the part that used to be McD's. Roosevelt Tillman still owns the back portion.

Whoa, did I miss that initial announcement? That is pretty cool!

Don't know if I ever did post that here. They are taking the corner unit on Diamond. The work is ongoing right now for the build out. They are simply moving down the street. They needed a bigger place with more waiting and cooking room. It is being vented straight up through all three floors and out the top. We just need to stay on top of them with the bones that tend to be littered along Wealthy.

Gross.

There current location also has a lot of loitering, not sure if that is a concern for a landlord or not.

Current location has no "eating" area at all, so I should think that if folks had an actual table to sit down and eat the wings and a trash can to throw the bones in on the way out, it might help ;)

the Alger Heights location is a obviously a different neighborhood, but the property is pretty clean.

Wing Heaven is being built out and should be ready to go by the end of the month.

I was in wing heaven yesterday, and the manager told me that they are holding on to their current location. She said the what they are going to do with it is going to be a big surprise for the neighborhood, and were all going to like it. I could not get any more info out of her than that. :dontknow: Very Curious indeed.

I was in wing heaven yesterday, and the manager told me that they are holding on to their current location. She said the what they are going to do with it is going to be a big surprise for the neighborhood, and were all going to like it. I could not get any more info out of her than that. :dontknow: Very Curious indeed.

You're killing me...... :mellow:

Wasn't that the original Schnitzelbank or something?

It was a photo studio. A friend of mine, Jeff Tippitt of Tippitt photo owned it.

The City forced him to move and purchased the building from him so that they could put a round-a-bout at the corner of Wealthy/Jefferson. Apparently the City gets some kind of bonus from Lansing if they put in a certain number of round-a-bouts? Pretty lame if you ask me. Personally, I love round-a-bouts, but come on, as if the drives in GR aren't bad enough, do you really think they're going to know how to actually use one? not likely.

What if Division and Wealthy turned into this round-a-bout?

I'll take lots of pictures of r.a.b's this week while in the UK. Note to self, look both ways before crossing the street!

I'm going to the UK for R&D on English pubs in London, Oxford, and Birmingham. Does anyone have any favorites or suggestions? I need to come back to the States with a "wealth" of information... I'm planning on going to 30-40 pubs over four days.

What if Division and Wealthy turned into this round-a-bout?

I'll take lots of pictures of r.a.b's this week while in the UK. Note to self, look both ways before crossing the street!

I'm going to the UK for R&D on English pubs in London, Oxford, and Birmingham. Does anyone have any favorites or suggestions? I need to come back to the States with a "wealth" of information... I'm planning on going to 30-40 pubs over four days.

The "Three Greyhounds" pub...in Soho near Piccadilly Circus.

So many pubs...you'll get to 40 rather quickly. Do you plan having a drink in each?:)

I never liked the fact that most pubs close by 11pm:(

Cambridge and York are great places too!!!

(referencing the business on the west side of Stray Dog -- north side of Wealthy St., east of Diamond)

I'm always sad to see a business come and go so quickly -- I see someones dreams and savings lost, as well as what it says about the neighborhood (or perception of the neighborhood). This week, I've cruised the neighborhood at night and during the day. The neighborhood is shaping up nicely. I had not seen the inside of the building, so peeked in the windows to see what the layout is. I've been ruminating/fantasizing about what could go in there. I'd like to see something more basic/useful go in there, I don't think the times and demographic will support more boutique or art shops. So, I thought about what I leave the neighborhood for and one thing that stands out for me is office services. Every month or so, I take my saved up projects down to Staples on 28th. Stuff like large runs of copies, color copies, laminating. Nearby I can go to the Fulton Heights Family Fare for a few copies. Storr will do it and I like to support them, but it's not self serve -- an inconvenience for me (and them?). I've gone over to the UPS store in Gaslight Village -- unhelpful, unfriendly and unappealing. I like to have access to a work table and paper cutter like the big box office places provide. What other services might area folk, home businesses and local small businesses utilize? Maybe some design/layout services? The space could accommodate 2 or 3 small (compatible) service businesses. A tailor? Computer Whiz? Like the Apple store genius bar -- simple stuff like adding memory or "Why is my WP application displaying documents in 24 pt. characters?" kind of stuff. I could envision heading over there 2 or 3 times a week to hang out at Stray Dog and get odds and ends handled at the Biz Shoppe.

<snip>

Just came back from running errands and stopped in for my first visit to Stray Dog. Surprise! -- The building next door looked EMPTY, where I'm sure there had been paintings on easels in the windows as recently as yesterday. Anyone want to jump at this vacancy? I hear that inquiries have already been made -- possibly as living quarters. I think this would be better used for commercial purposes.

• 1 month later...

Just saw a sign on the block between the Sommerdyke (sp?) building and the Wealthy Street Bakery that shows a rendering of nicely redone facades. These buildings have been in such a start and stop state, I hope they actually go through with the renovations. I couldn't catch a name as the roads were too bad, but it didn't look like a sign I would recognize. Anyone got the scoop?

Joe