Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

https://grbj.com/news/food-service-agriculture/teen-opening-cereal-and-breakfast-bar-in-eastown/

Looks like its next to Yesterdog. I love cereal for breakfast but haven't ever gotten it at a restaurant. I wonder if they'll have late hours ? In my younger years I would have gladly gone the cereal route vs hot dogs after some beverages.

• 2 months later...

On 7/15/2019 at 5:17 PM, TheLonesomeHobo said:

Where exactly is this project located? I’m shocked I haven’t even seen it in passing given I live in the neighborhood.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:04 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

Progress on the mixed-use development just south of Wealthy. The mass of this is incredible along the street. Much more so in person.

Two more of these going down to Franklin will really transform the area profoundly!

20190710_151041.thumb.jpg.b0dbd12963fddb2a2d348a1c2c00eda4.jpg

20190710_151036.thumb.jpg.b3278365a0269ff08c94d55305fcc056.jpg

20190710_151039.thumb.jpg.8262e015d3b884ab2f8f8d72b01757be.jpg

Does anyone know what project is being built just south of this apartment complex on Eastern?  Is it the apartment project that was proposed a few years ago or is it something new?   Looks like foundations are being placed all over the site.

11 hours ago, sfloria said:

Does anyone know what project is being built just south of this apartment complex on Eastern?  Is it the apartment project that was proposed a few years ago or is it something new?   Looks like foundations are being placed all over the site.

LINC was awarded a LIHTC for that project.  It is a 3 or 4 story apartment building along Eastern and some townhouses around the corner.  Do not recall the number of units.

• Like 1

This project has been speeding along.  More great infill that will hopefully spurr more redevelopment in the area.

"The mixed-use building will include 29 one-bedroom units, 33 two-bedroom units, an office staffed during business hours, fitness room, community room, and commercial space. The townhouses will have four bedrooms. All units and townhouses will be affordable. A 111-space parking lot, community garden, play area, and bicycle parking for residents will be located between the building and the townhouses"

https://www.grandrapidsmi.gov/Government/Programs-and-Initiatives/Development-with-Us/Projects/613-Eastern-Ave-SE

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Kinda of a "hey, what's that" post as well, but20210126_162843.thumb.jpg.929d05ddc3ecfa2d357aa33d7b90cb82.jpg it appears the corner of Wealthy and Fuller has sprouted a "Cubi". I just got a brief snow-filled glimpse at the red light, so I'm not sure what it does, but it looks nice all the same as opposed to the empty lot ot is in front of.

I think it is a grocery delivery system.  You order the groceries and they deliver it to one of these lockers and you pick it up.

about Cubi

west-michigan-entrepreneur-plans-new-grocery-pickup-delivery-service

Edited by walker
added a link to news article

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Now this is the type of news I missed hearing last year!

It must be the Kregel building, and the adjacent empty lot along Eastern.  Maybe the church across the street and its parking lot?

700 units is definitely going to take Wealthy to another level in terms of energy and additional businesses coming in, though.

Those seem like the two logical spots for development, but I think they'd be WAY too small (and the historic district wouldn't allow it). 700 units seems like a REALLY high number though. The Grand Castle has ~520 (for comparison).

Unless it's closer to Division, near Mary Freebed. Or, across US-131 and they're talking about the warehouse on Wealthy and the big warehouse on Century.

Joe

35 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Those seem like the two logical spots for development, but I think they'd be WAY too small (and the historic district wouldn't allow it). 700 units seems like a REALLY high number though. The Grand Castle has ~520 (for comparison).

Unless it's closer to Division, near Mary Freebed. Or, across US-131 and they're talking about the warehouse on Wealthy and the big warehouse on Century.

Joe

700??? I guess depending on where on Wealthy you're talking determines whether I think an extra zero was accidentally hit or not! haha. I'm very curious. 

I didn't find this posted anywhere on here, but it looks like 616 Lofts sold the Kregel Building in 2019 to Wealthy & Charles LLC, which lists its only registered agent as Kurt Hassberger at Rockford Construction.

https://deedsselfservice.kentcountymi.gov/web/search/DOCSEARCH138S1

https://cofs.lara.state.mi.us/CorpWeb/CorpSearch/CorpSummary.aspx?ID=802326716&SEARCH_TYPE=3&CanReturn=True

https://rockfordconstruction.com/people/kurt-hassberger

Also, not sure if this is much of a secret, but I know that someone very, very high up at Rockford lives a couple of blocks from here.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Word on the streets is there's a large project being kicked around on Wealthy that would add over 700 units.  I would think more details would emerge shortly...

700 is massive. Only place I can think of would be the church and its parking lot. And it would have to be pretty tall to hit that number. Otherwise Wealthy and Division but isn't there already a retirement community going there? 

Maybe Rockford is buying the Kregel and the church and is planning a development on both corners. 

1810925700_wealthyandeastern.JPG.d83cee5b284d5e1337141784fec83d93.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Big movement on the SE corner of Wealthy and Eastern!

20210924_153047-01.thumb.jpeg.4d048427ebd7a5391a4c774209a92958.jpeg

The existing for sale sign is still up, so I'm not sure if it sold,  but this looks like some major restoration of the ground floor is about to happen. Hopeful to see some big windows down there soon! That corner has been too quiet for too long.

French/American Bakery...    So glad to see this building come to life...that was such a dead zone.  https://mibiz.com/sections/real-estate-development/french-american-bakery-planned-for-mixed-use-wealthy-street-redevelopment

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, egrguy said:

Easttown Antiques is closing 12/31.  I hadn't realized it was for sale: https://mls.carwm.com/listing/30760843/1515-Lake-Dr-SE-Grand-Rapids-MI-49506

Its a nice location, curious what comes next at this spot.

This stinks. By far my favorite antique store. That’s so sad. 

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting nugget of information buried in an article about Gun Lake Investments (the tribes non-gambling arm) new CEO:

Gun Lake Investments is involved with a parcel at 733 Wealthy St. SE in Grand Rapids’ East Hills neighborhood that it wants to develop over the next couple of years. Planning for the Kregel Building property — which is owned by Rockford Construction Co. Inc. CEO Mike VanGessel, doing business as Wealthy and Charles LLC — is in the preliminary stages. Previous plans by 616 Development LLC for a mixed-use project at the site never came to fruition despite receiving nearly $1 million in tax incentives in March 2017. Gun Lake Investments wants to develop a use that’s “symbiotic with the community,” King said.

Joe

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

So I wake up this morning and see that the "Tatum" building on Wealthy at Henry, has completely been gutted by fire overnight.

Glad no one was hurt. I think the place was a printing shop of some sort. Although I may be guessing as even WoodTV wasn't sure what was there themselves from the first report I saw.

I dont even recall hearing any fire engines. This one is a shock to hear just happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

So I wake up this morning and see that the "Tatum" building on Wealthy at Henry, has completely been gutted by fire overnight.

Glad no one was hurt. I think the place was a printing shop of some sort. Although I may be guessing as even WoodTV wasn't sure what was there themselves from the first report I saw.

I dont even recall hearing any fire engines. This one is a shock to hear just happened.

Just saw the story this morning, glad no one was hurt or any of the adjacent structures damaged. I can't imagine this parcel will sit empty for too long after the site is cleared. 

That's sad. I thought it was a great building in the area and the architecture fit really well with the rest of Wealthy. IIRC, the owner was anti-development /improvement of the area and resisted developers attempts at purchasing the building. It's a loss for the original architecture of the neighborhood. :(

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 2.49.36 PM.png

• Like 1