Wealthy Street Mega Thread

joshleo

15 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Depends. While not as significant of a building, I bet they’ll run into contaminated soil, and building close to the riverfront (removing flood walls, etc) will be tedious work. 

joe

Ahh yeah very true.  There are gas pumps on the property.  It's also where they store damaged vehicles and run fleet services, there's definitely some contamination.

Could be that they're looking at redoing river's edge access in that property as part of the 'park' that goes along with the amphitheater site.  All that site planning would have to be pretty extensive.  River for All and GR Forward didn't include that area, but here's a clip from the River For All trail templates...

image.thumb.png.a3c9163267418ce23b43d8741e46b2e5.png

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:36 PM, GRDadof3 said:

I find it humorous that you think that's an easy thing to do. :rofl:  If I have an hour and a half to spare this weekend, I'll see if I can do it. Keep in mind this is an Invision board that even with updates, dates back to 2000's. 

I don't like being patronized, so I took the initiative to find every post from the pre-merge Amphitheater thread and organize them into a spreadsheet with permalinks and comment IDs. To save you the trouble of hunting them down.

It includes all of pages 92 and 98-102, plus a few scattered others.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-MhZeu3C2yycGo-bndk8DlcVSlsN8KlKz-CGcWjMJlw/edit?usp=sharing

@GRDadof3 @Neo

11 hours ago, ZAP! said:

I don't like being patronized, so I took the initiative to find every post from the pre-merge Amphitheater thread and organize them into a spreadsheet with permalinks and comment IDs. To save you the trouble of hunting them down.

It includes all of pages 92 and 98-102, plus a few scattered others.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-MhZeu3C2yycGo-bndk8DlcVSlsN8KlKz-CGcWjMJlw/edit?usp=sharing

@GRDadof3 @Neo

I had them all selected and tried to split them off but could not figure it out. Just knowing which posts is about 1/4 of the work. 

• GRDadof3 changed the title to Wealthy Street Mega Thread
  • 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, terra firma said:

@ GR Urbanist-- yes we are busy cleaning that fire mess up as we simultaneously are rebuilding 650 Wealthy next to it  (Dime& Regal, Palace Flophouse)  from damage related to the fire.   We'd have cleaned the building site sooner (we bought it in may I think) but permitting took forever !

We do not yet have a plan for the "Tatum" site, which was formerly known as 666 Wealthy and is now called 680 Wealthy.   We are beginning meetings w/ our architect to evaluate / identify a  direction and will start making plans once we've got a path.  It will be based on what we think fits there, and not driven by a particular use or tenant.

Before we do anything on that site, we will at long last commence renovations on 710 Wealthy (the fish mural bldg) in hopes of being done mid-winter with that one,  at which time I hope to roll right into new building development @ the 680 / Tatum site.   No specific users identified for any of the above at this time.

We are super happy that our Tenants along this corridor are enjoying good business volume and vitality.   What a cool district.

eric wynsma / terra firma development 

That is awesome news, excited to see all the development along that stretch. Are you able to say what architect you are using for 680 Wealthy? 

On 8/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, terra firma said:

@ GR Urbanist-- yes we are busy cleaning that fire mess up as we simultaneously are rebuilding 650 Wealthy next to it  (Dime& Regal, Palace Flophouse)  from damage related to the fire.   We'd have cleaned the building site sooner (we bought it in may I think) but permitting took forever !

We do not yet have a plan for the "Tatum" site, which was formerly known as 666 Wealthy and is now called 680 Wealthy.   We are beginning meetings w/ our architect to evaluate / identify a  direction and will start making plans once we've got a path.  It will be based on what we think fits there, and not driven by a particular use or tenant.

Before we do anything on that site, we will at long last commence renovations on 710 Wealthy (the fish mural bldg) in hopes of being done mid-winter with that one,  at which time I hope to roll right into new building development @ the 680 / Tatum site.   No specific users identified for any of the above at this time.

We are super happy that our Tenants along this corridor are enjoying good business volume and vitality.   What a cool district.

eric wynsma / terra firma development 

Awesome news.

Anyone heard any word on what's going to happen with Elk Brewing? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 8:22 AM, GR_Urbanist said:

The building on the SE corner of Wealthy and Eastern has really begun to spring to life after what seems like renovations that have gone on for years! Big windows are starting to appear on the ground floor as of this morning, and just those alone already makes the intersection look 100x better.

Finally managed to get a red light so I could get a photo!

Imgp5612.thumb.jpg.12021d7012b2b1d68b662a6c45a2e9ea.jpg

The interior is still a long way from being completed.

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 3

Good article from WoodtTV a few days ago. The building used to be a post office (among other uses). Looks like they uncovered a mosaic tile floor and tin ceiling. Looks like it’ll be a really interesting place:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/chartreuse-sisters-french-bakery-and-cafe-coming-to-grand-rapids-uptown/amp/

6 hours ago, MJLO said:

How many decades has that building been closed off to the street?    I remember what  that strip of wealthy was like late 80s/early 90s.  Neighborhood was so bad McDonalds abandoned it.  Crazy to think how different things are. 

The first house I rented in the mid 00’s was on Calkins and I always remembered walking by that abandoned McDonanlds. Now, almost 18 years later I live in a building on the lot where that McDonalds used to be.

Edited by TheLonesomeHobo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/13/2022 at 9:10 AM, joeDowntown said:

Thanks for the update Eric. I’d love to see a building with with a similar footprint and style as the original. Have you thought about residential at all? Maybe apartments or condos on the top story?

Joe

Hi Joe !

the new building will indeed be same footprint / similar in form and structure to what was there.     We will have just over 3,000 SF of retail space and 3 apartments up, each with its' own parking spot on-site behind the building.  These will be 2BR units.

We have not yet submitted anything for permits or HPC approval, i'm confident the group here will like it !   

eric

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terra firma said:

Hi Joe !

the new building will indeed be same footprint / similar in form and structure to what was there.     We will have just over 3,000 SF of retail space and 3 apartments up, each with its' own parking spot on-site behind the building.  These will be 2BR units.

We have not yet submitted anything for permits or HPC approval, i'm confident the group here will like it !   

eric

Can’t wait to see it! Any timeframe for renderings?

I live right around the corner from these locations on Wealthy St. (Penguin, Tatum sites) in East Hills. I don't know if these two locations are actually inside the border of East Hills, probably just outside of it. 

Anyways, looking forward to the renderings and updates.

On 11/28/2022 at 5:57 PM, GR_Urbanist said:

The last boarded-up storefront on Wealthy is officially on its way to renovation! The "Fish Mural" building was without the mural as of 5pm when I drove by.  15 years after the start of this thread!

Was too shocked to even get a photo!

Edit: photo for the record:

20221130_082300-01.thumb.jpeg.ac4e46ed54823f0407e6f16ae6ac475a.jpeg

Workers were out yesterday putting up windows in this building.

Also surveyors I believe were out at the old Tatum BookBinding building site as well. I wasn't able to get any photos unfortunately. I'll try for that next time.

• Like 1