$250 million redevelopment project announced for downtown Mauldin.

gman430

I don't understand these residents concerns. Even if the project is being rushed which it isn't I have full confidence in it getting built. The developer is very experienced and the renderings along with site plan look amazing. I live less than five minutes from the site and these NIMBY's don't speak for me. If it is anything like Avalon I will be very impressed: https://www.wspa.com/news/mauldin-moves-forward-with-multi-million-dollar-city-center-redevelopment-proposal/ Now if only Simpsonville would get off their rear ends. 

4 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Looks pretty nice, especially since Mauldin doesn't really have a city center. Although, the development off 385 looks to fit the part more to me. As for NIMBYS, I think it's just human nature. We tend to resist change if it's happening to us or our backyards.

Still makes no sense as to why these residents are against the development and feel entitled to be part of the process though. They don’t live on the site. Do they really like looking at run down buildings everyday? I just don’t get it. 

They are not against the development, they are against calling a special meeting to approve it just before an election.   The city could and should have approved the first reading earlier such that this was not necessary.  The current council does not want to add uncertainty and I understand that motive.  It is just bad optics, Greenville could do the same thing on County Square but isn't because of the same optics, I would imagine. I don't think anything  nefarious is going on, and it isn't worth jeopardizing the project that has been so long in the making.  However, it could have been handled better.  

Mauldin very much needs this.

I worry about it not feeling organic/ authentic. Maudlin really needs to adopt a much broader zoning ordinance and master plan that would encompass land in all directions of this site. And maybe they have in some form(?), but like their much heralded streetscaping plan for Main Street a few years back, I’m not overly confident in their ability to execute well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Mauldin very much needs this.

I worry about it not feeling organic/ authentic. Maudlin really needs to adopt a much broader zoning ordinance and master plan that would encompass land in all directions of this site. And maybe they have in some form(?), but like their much heralded streetscaping plan for Main Street a few years back, I’m not overly confident in their ability to execute well. 

I see Powdersville evolving into a similar situation as Mauldin, with the major exception being its (Powdersville's) lack of municipal oversight.  Unfortunately, the cost to repair decades of careless development will only increase given the steady rate and pattern of growth around Greenville.  Greer seems to be implementing a successful downtown revitalization, although nearby suburban sprawl remains uncontrolled.  Travelers Rest is also at the doorstep of irreversible transformation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Are you complimenting TR's transformation around the Swamp Rabbit, or saying they are in danger of not managing their growth? 

I suppose both aspects are intertwined, and I intended to express concern over the rate and pattern of growth in and around TR.  Without significant changes to regulate its growth, TR will eventually face challenges similar to (and perhaps more complex than) Mauldin.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This project is only on a small portion of the city center site located between Jenkins Street, Jenkins Court, the public storage facility, and Murray Drive so it’s not the entire development and is located on the backside/outskirts of it. None of it borders Butler or Laurens Roads either. UBJ did a terrible job with this news story so I can definitely see why people would be confused over it. There’s a much better news story here: http://www.greenvillebusinessmag.com/2021/02/01/344818/mauldin-taps-greenville-s-parker-group-to-revive-city-center-concept It’s gonna be on seven out of the 24 acres. 

The blue outlined area is this development while the red outlined area is the entire city center development: 

6457F298-1B84-495F-9668-90A9D3554AF7.jpeg

Edited by gman430

• 2 years later...

Since it was mentioned in a different thread..  6.5 acres of land in the middle of the "city" for $1.15 million seems like absolute peanuts. Mauldin definitely seems invested in making this happen.  For comparison, County Square in Greenville was valued at about $950k/acre.

https://cityofmauldin.org/city-of-mauldin-sells-downtown-property-to-developers-for-1-15-million/

On Thursday, April 6, the City of Mauldin completed the sale of 6.5 acres of City-owned property to the Parker Group and Longbranch Development for $1.15 million, marking the start of the long-anticipated Maverick Yards project that will kick off City Center Village.

Maverick Yards will be a mixed-use development comprised of residential townhomes and an entertainment and dining complex with eventual access to the Swamp Rabbit Trail. Located at the corner of Jenkins Street and Jenkins Court, the development will complement the recently completed Maverick Station redevelopment by the Parker Group.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 1