markhollin

A little more about the YMCA building from The Tennessean. Article is a bit vague on how the DT Y plans to expand its programs with growth nearly doubling their membership in the past 6 years. Sounds like they'll be looking at a capital campaign at some point to expand their facility on 9th Avenue. 

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/10/29/ymca-looking-new-east-nashville-location-selling-downtown-building/2489001001/

Meanwhile, the agency is negotiating a contract with downtown developer Tony Giarratana to sell a data center next to its downtown location. 

YMCA memberships there grew from 7,004 to 13,733 people from October 2013 to October 2019. Officials are considering ways to expand programming at their 1000 Church Street facility. 

But the agency's smaller building at 900 Church Street has been largely empty for several months since data operations were relocated because of construction impacts from the 17-acre Nashville Yards development across the street.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2019 at 11:03 PM, CenterHill said:

Agree with Ron.    The mayor has nothing to do with zoning.    That’s Council and the Planning Commission.    Zoning height limits are a constant gripe on this board, but I never understand why.      Building height in this city, like every city, is driven by real estate cost per sf, market demand and ability to obtain financing.      In the central core, there are effectively no height limits, and outside the core, every legitimate request for a height variance that I can think of in recent years has been granted.    If you guys are aware of any projects in the core in the last couple of years that the city has rejected due to height limits, please share with us.   

Interesting how none of the people caterwauling could name which projects were downsized or affected otherwise by the city. This is because as stated the city doesn't do it. This is fascinating because there are posters who for over a decade have been caterwauling and natering that lie. 

It's all meme posting. Say the same thing over and over no matter how asinine it is and the guppy school will tag along and repeat it without thought.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, titanhog said:

If you're talking the current 505...then not so much.   But yes on the original 505 design.

I think the problem is that great designs cost more - a lot more - to build and the developers have to cut corners when their lenders get weak knees.  Places like Dallas and Austin don't seem to have that problem.  Wonder why.

16 hours ago, titanhog said:

If you're talking the current 505...then not so much.   But yes on the original 505 design.

Not many folks who've built a 45 floor ultra modern skyscraper in Nashville. I'd say it's an achievement through and through that the building exists. Have you toured it and it's facilities? 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, nativenashville said:

Not many folks who've built a 45 floor ultra modern skyscraper in Nashville. I'd say it's an achievement through and through that the building exists. Have you toured it and it's facilities? 

I get what you're saying...and I'm happy it's there...but compared to his initial renders...almost all of his final construction is value engineered, which is disappointing, but understandable.  That's not to say I'm not 100% thankful for his developments.  Just wish he were able to complete at least one major project similar to his initial dreams.

• Like 3