markhollin

This site is so small and bounded by busy streets, I can’t fathom how construction is going to work.    I predict codes will grant permits to permanently close lanes on both  Church and McLemore, effectively cutting off the Y from pedestrians (the south sidewalk on church is already closed for N Yards, as is 10th). I happen to be one of hundreds of downtown people who walk to the Y during the day and I’ll just say we’re going to be an angry bunch if all sidewalk access is cut off.    

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, CenterHill said:

This site is so small and bounded by busy streets, I can’t fathom how construction is going to work.    I predict codes will grant permits to permanently close lanes on both  Church and McLemore, effectively cutting off the Y from pedestrians (the south sidewalk on church is already closed for N Yards, as is 10th). I happen to be one of hundreds of downtown people who walk to the Y during the day and I’ll just say we’re going to be an angry bunch if all sidewalk access is cut off.    

That’s what I’m guessing too. Pretty sure it’ll mess up my normal running path. I still have a hard time even imagining that building on that size lot

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, downtownresident said:

They’ve applied for the demolition,  foundation, and grading permits, and are going ahead of DTC for bonus height, so I’d assume this one is pretty much a go at this point. 

Even better! I guess I'm used to approaching Tony's projects with a bit more caution, but the strategic nature of this one seems to have pushed it over the top.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

From the horses mouth....34 stories...416 feet... 160 million dollar project.. Brasfield & Gorrie... breaking ground in July....

Baring a collapse of the economy from the Coronavirus.

I guess it wouldn't be the first time a major Tony G project was stifled by an economic downturn.

• Like 2

It’s a great project but yet again it’s another 400 footer.  That design deserves at least one more box on top.  Aside from Four Seasons the skyline is expanding exponentially but like a flat plateau and very few tall ones to draw the eye.   This is yet another missed opportunity.

Edited by Plasticman
Left out a sentence
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Plasticman said:

It’s a great project but yet again it’s another 400 footer.  That design deserves at least one more box on top.  Aside from Four Seasons the skyline is expanding exponentially but like a flat plateau and very few tall ones to draw the eye.   This is yet another missed opportunity.

To be fair, we hadn’t seen much skyline growth until recent years. Therefore, it isn’t very surprising that we’ve had to wait for taller buildings. As long as the economy holds out, I expect them to gradually get taller with time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NashWellington11 said:

Zero parking is going to be interesting. Not sure there are enough walkable basic amenities downtown or public transportation infrastructure for a zero parking building at this point.

I'm not sure how he's getting financing for this without parking, but I'm ecstatic if that's the case. There is no parking minimum requirement downtown and yet, every new building that's gone up since that zoning change has included a massive parking garage. We will never get the density required and never get people out of their cars if we keep providing parking. Parking adds an average of $20,000 onto the cost of a unit, and I'm sure it's exponentially higher for a development like this. Even if people want to live downtown without a car, they're paying for the space anyway. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NashWellington11 said:

Zero parking is going to be interesting. Not sure there are enough walkable basic amenities downtown or public transportation infrastructure for a zero parking building at this point.

They will probably valet at near by garages, and that part of downtown is walkable to a good bit of what downtown currently has, and will have to offer. 

• Like 3

On 2/24/2020 at 7:37 AM, markhollin said:

900 Church Steet, Feb 24, 2020, render 1.png

It's definitely different. I'm glad to see zero parking included in this development. I was working on a 7-story mid rise a couple months back and people in my office were calling me irresponsible for not including parking.

Also, don't let the pretty picture fool us, the first "box" will be somewhat blocked by 814 Church Street (sorry, don't have the time to photoshop them together). And there will be alot less trees lol

image.thumb.png.28e9eb7630b42bcd0954b4e2372171c5.png

• Like 3