markhollin

10 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Well, a lot of our height came from the "arms race" between a few of the banks back in the '80s and '90s.  In today's climate, it's not quite as tenable for most corporations to build super tall towers all the time.  Duke Energy is presently building a 40+ story tower in Charlotte, and even though they announced it pretty quietly and started construction basically immediately, the reaction wasn't positive from those who didn't understand the situation (essentially the consolidation of several older, smaller buildings into this new tower).  The coal ash spill hasn't faded from the public's memory, and not long before the tower was announced, Duke had asked regulators for permission to raise energy rates.  We've also got a "developer" who owns a ton of vacant lots in uptown, yet refuses to build anything - or worse, starts on a project then abandons it just before the parking deck is complete. :angry:

Honestly I think Nashville is getting higher-quality developments than Charlotte.  We've gotten a few decent towers and several really nice midrises this cycle, but the developers here have value-engineered the sh!t out of a lot of projects this cycle.  Nashville also has a huge advantage over Charlotte in that downtown is a destination with all of the music and entertainment everywhere, which encourages more urban residential development.  Most of our urban residential development is going to South End (which honestly is starting to become an extension of uptown), and now that underdeveloped land in South End is getting scarce, we're starting to see some pretty decent height.  It'll be the same phenomenon in Nashville, as urban residents are going to want to work nearby, and buildings will get taller and taller as the desirability (and therefore land value) increases.

Just so you know, next to nobody in Nashville is jealous of anything in Charlotte, NC or even knows it exists for that matter. Its just a few grump grumps with no lives outside of internet forums who do that.

Edited by JoeyX
  • Confused 11

58 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I love Charlotte. Have had occasion to work in The Queen City numerous times over the years-posting a couple of my favorite photos of iconic Charlotte sights.

552B6F5C-65CE-4CE1-A5B1-6B16FCFAFB8D.jpeg

EBE3E916-C214-4D6F-8540-7CCDB81C03D2.jpeg

First Pres there in downtown Charlotte is a great church. I grew up with a bunch of people who went there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnePointEast said:

Hopefully the market doesn't slump and is only short-lived. I'm hoping no project gets stalled or cancelled.

That's the great thing about this project.  It's targeting the Amazon and Asurion employees, both of which are 100% guaranteed to happen regardless of the economy.  So it feels like this tower is a lot less speculative than some others out there.  I think this will definitely rise.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Armacing said:

That's the great thing about this project.  It's targeting the Amazon and Asurion employees, both of which are 100% guaranteed to happen regardless of the economy.  So it feels like this tower is a lot less speculative than some others out there.  I think this will definitely rise.

Yeah...Tony has an almost "sure thing" with this tower...if he builds it now.

• Like 1