markhollin

13 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I am not sure when news is going to be forthcoming, so please don't  ask me anything because I can't help.

From Paul Simon:

"Some people never say the words 'I love you', it's not their style to be so bold;

But like a child they are longing to be told."

• Haha 2

I drove by yesterday and saw that the lot looks pretty deserted.  Even though I considered this project to be a slam dunk because of its location, now I'm starting to have my doubts.  I don't know what news Smeagolsfree knows, but I just have this overall sense of impending doom when it comes to any proposed project that has not broken ground.  Sad to say, but I won't be surprised if the "news" is a delay or cancellation of this project.

4 hours ago, Armacing said:

I drove by yesterday and saw that the lot looks pretty deserted.  Even though I considered this project to be a slam dunk because of its location, now I'm starting to have my doubts.  I don't know what news Smeagolsfree knows, but I just have this overall sense of impending doom when it comes to any proposed project that has not broken ground.  Sad to say, but I won't be surprised if the "news" is a delay or cancellation of this project.

That would be super unfortunate if so, and pretty wild considering it would be the second time that an international crisis derailed one of his big projects. It'd feel like the world doesn't want him building any tall skyscrapers downtown.

Of course it could be really positive news, so here's to hoping for the best

Edited by henburg
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Native said:

No financing yet according to the NBJ.  But if he buys the lot across the street you would have to believe this building will be erected.  They are counting on workers at Amazon and Asurion to walk to work.

As I stated in the 801 Church Street thread, I think he bought that site and is building parking to accommodate 900 Church Street because lenders won't finance that tower without parking. 

53 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

As I stated in the 801 Church Street thread, I think he bought that site and is building parking to accommodate 900 Church Street because lenders won't finance that tower without parking. 

Really? That seems very odd seeing as there are no requirements in the area.

24 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Really? That seems very odd seeing as there are no requirements in the area.

Right... but that's ZONING vs. what the banks would require. I assume they won't fund the whole project without parking. Was surprised when he announced the 900 tower w/o parking and on that sliver of property... and noted my skepticism at the time. It's a cool looking proposal. 

• Thanks 1

Very true. But it's not like this is a foreign thing to lenders. Like I said over on the 801 thread, Nashville is obviously way behind on mass transit, but there are many other modes of transit in the city. The lender I'm sure is looking at a number of factors with providing a loan (and I certainly cannot speak to them), but the days of providing more than what is required within an urban core should be further behind us than in front of us.

I'm not trying to argumentative, but if we want to make changes in our cities (specifically from a livability stance), changes need to be made and parking is an obvious choice. 

7 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Very true. But it's not like this is a foreign thing to lenders. Like I said over on the 801 thread, Nashville is obviously way behind on mass transit, but there are many other modes of transit in the city. The lender I'm sure is looking at a number of factors with providing a loan (and I certainly cannot speak to them), but the days of providing more than what is required within an urban core should be further behind us than in front of us.

I'm not trying to argumentative, but if we want to make changes in our cities (specifically from a livability stance), changes need to be made and parking is an obvious choice. 

well said. However as a former lender, what @MLBrumby said is very true. While the days of every building having a parking garage for 1 car for every person seem to be fading, the 801 parking will just provide some parking for 900, and hopefully that gets the lenders over the hump. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, markhollin said:

A foundation permit of $3.15 million has been granted.  The 356 units will be apartments, not condos.  Price tag for the whole project will be $160 million.

Totally understand the desire to go apartments versus condos. Not having to deal with pre-sales and the resultant requests for customization on each condo.

$160 million though??? Pennies in the development world. We are looking at approximately $350 a square for a luxury apartment building. I would expect $450 to $500 per square foot for actual luxury apartments. Wasn't someone mentioning on here about the disappointment in the level of finish for the 505 tower. Are we looking at an overpromised-underdelivered product here? To put things in perspective, I am working on municipal job, non-sprinklered, wood framed building that is 12,000 square feet and it is going for about $210 per square foot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

It would help if these projects would have unique, distinctive names... like "Stacked Boxes on Church" for this one.... and "Giarratower Residences at the Federal Building that Took Three Decades to Build" for the one across the street. 

Stacked Boxes On Church made me laugh WAY too hard. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2