The Edge | 32-Story Mixed Use + SunRail Station [Proposed/Demo Underway]

HankStrong

Screen-Shot-2021-09-01-at-8.37.23-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2021-09-01-at-8.36.59-AM.png

Looks cool from the north elevation.

Not so sure I like the blade or whatever we're calling it (the vertical visor?) anymore on the south elevation.

Especially with the color they're showing it.

Maybe a bluish gray or something.

Red would look cool.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

I like the redesign a lot. I think they colored the Blade feature like that to tie in to phase I mohawk.  Probably same type of materials.  

The big thing to ME is notice the SunRail station awning in the north elevation. According to this rendering, it will extend all the way north along the new CSP up to Church Street and the old Hamburger Mary's and Bumby Arcade buildings which will house the Food Hall. This is a huge difference to have the station up to Church street instead of no-man's land south of South street between a retention pond, interchange overpass, and the back of a parking garage. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I like the redesign a lot. I think they colored the Blade feature like that to tie in to phase I mohawk.  Probably same type of materials.  

The big thing to ME is notice the SunRail station awning in the north elevation. According to this rendering, it will extend all the way north along the new CSP up to Church Street and the old Hamburger Mary's and Bumby Arcade buildings which will house the Food Hall. This is a huge difference to have the station up to Church street instead of no-man's land south of South street between a retention pond, interchange overpass, and the back of a parking garage. 

Which north elevation rendering are you referring to?  I do see the the original overhang from the historic Church Street Station building.  

That would be a fantastic update to bring the awning north to Church Street.

13 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

am i the only one who finds this thing ugly coming from the south on i-4 heading northbound?

I wonder how much of it you'll even see with the current SunTrust and the ramps being there.  I'm thinking by the time you see it, only the western face will be visible to I-4.  From the 408 WB to I-4 EB ramp you're looking more toward the Amway Center with the City Commons Garage and the current SunTrust building again in the way.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:52 AM, dcluley98 said:

i-pity-da-fool.jpg.dd1d1f2f58179a764381735b1460a198.jpg

"I pity da fool that mentions mohawks but doesn't mention Mr. T!"

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

am i the only one who finds this thing ugly coming from the south on i-4 heading northbound?

well, from that original angle, probably north looking south, I thought the fin was going to be similar in scope to The Four Seasons Miami, and I was ok with it.

Now, the fin is much more pronounced from the angle south looking north.  maybe it is exaggerated like prahaboheme states.  

My number one concern here is to make sure the garage levels are integrated well into the overall exterior shell of the tower so it doesn't look cheap or incomplete.  I think it should be ok based on the renderings though.

15 hours ago, Musikprince said:

We won't really know until it's built, but I'm tired of reading different reporting! We went from 32 stories to 35 and now 34! Like wtf?

maybe some count the 13th floor and others don't.

but really, journalists don't really care about that level of accuracy.  Case in point, I've always know the Sear Tower to be 110 floors; lately, they say it's 108 floors and I'm like...was there a sinkhole at Jackson & Wacker Drive that we didn't know about?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

well, from that original angle, probably north looking south, I thought the fin was going to be similar in scope to The Four Seasons Miami, and I was ok with it.

Now, the fin is much more pronounced from the angle south looking north.  maybe it is exaggerated like prahaboheme states.  

My number one concern here is to make sure the garage levels are integrated well into the overall exterior shell of the tower so it doesn't look cheap or incomplete.  I think it should be ok based on the renderings though.

maybe some count the 13th floor and others don't.

but really, journalists don't really care about that level of accuracy.  Case in point, I've always know the Sear Tower to be 110 floors; lately, they say it's 108 floors and I'm like...was there a sinkhole at Jackson & Wacker Drive that we didn't know about?

My main gripe with CSP1 is the overabundance of patterns, materials, styles.  From certain angles it seems like the architect couldn't decide on an overarching theme and so just went with them all.  

This kind of seems to be happening again with CSP2.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

My main gripe with CSP1 is the overabundance of patterns, materials, styles.  From certain angles it seems like the architect couldn't decide on an overarching theme and so just went with them all.  

I don’t know. Somehow it seems appropriate for a downtown that has no vision. Just pick up whatever’s on sale at Big Lots.

What’s also interesting is that, when Lincoln was working closely with the Frederick administration, their work seemed more cohesive. Now, not so much (their local execs also worked much more closely with the community than they do now).

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I don’t know. Somehow it seems appropriate for a downtown that has no vision. Just pick up whatever’s on sale at Big Lots.

What’s also interesting is that, when Lincoln was working closely with the Frederick administration, their work seemed more cohesive. Now, not so much (their local execs also worked much more closely with the community than they do now).

But of course....

st-frederick-my-edit-18-july-2018.jpg

The patron saint of Orlando Mayoral Perfection and anti-Buddyism.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

nail...

head of nail...

you just hit it.

God I hope it doesn't with CSP2...although I did notice a little that on the eastern facade of the garage levels, it does kinda blend in with that precast mosaic on CSP1.  Is that good?  If it looks too busy I don't think so.

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

oooh, Big Lots...

man, Spencer, you just laid that sh*t out like Iron Mike!

Do Lincoln projects use Baker Barrios?  I guess so, right?  It's like the Design Board Mafia if there was one...  or maybe they're all part of the same Elks Lodge

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

oooh, Big Lots...

man, Spencer, you just laid that sh*t out like Iron Mike!

Do Lincoln projects use Baker Barrios?  I guess so, right?  It's like the Design Board Mafia if there was one...  or maybe they're all part of the same Elks Lodge

Hunton Brady 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

35-Story Church Street Plaza Phase 2 is a go!

BREAKING: BUILDERS REQUEST PERMIT TO DEMO THE BALLROOM

Article: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/09/07/orlando-florida-mixed-use-apartment-office.html?fbclid=IwAR2bCAG7qsMSfdp918X6Ux3qzZ3lyjPtwR0DST66r4tHTWbxw2gp7soudZ4

Does anyone know how long it takes on average to obtain that type of permit? You would've figured that it would've been already in place if they were going to start the demo before the end of the year as suggested!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Musikprince said:

Does anyone know how long it takes on average to obtain that type of permit? You would've figured that it would've been already in place if they were going to start the demo before the end of the year as suggested!

I just did a Google search and it looks like it takes a week at most to get approval, and at most 30 days for the entire process.

https://www.orlando.gov/Building-Development/Permits-Inspections/Other/Apply-for-a-Demolition-Permit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1