The Edge | 32-Story Mixed Use + SunRail Station [Proposed/Demo Underway]

HankStrong

11 minutes ago, orlandouprise said:

Looks short and fat like every other building in this town. Went from signature building to another meh fat @$$

I think it would look a lot better if it didn’t appear as if it was a part of our connected to CSP1. It sorta looks like one giant building and it makes tower 2 appear shorter and fatter than it actually is. I do like the design though and I’m interested to see how it all comes together.

16 hours ago, Musikprince said:

Does anyone know how long it takes on average to obtain that type of permit? You would've figured that it would've been already in place if they were going to start the demo before the end of the year as suggested!

If they have a complete application, 3-4 weeks. If not, double it. 

16 hours ago, Musikprince said:

Does anyone know how long it takes on average to obtain that type of permit? You would've figured that it would've been already in place if they were going to start the demo before the end of the year as suggested!

Construction permits are 4-6 months in Orlando. They may get a foundation only permit to get a head start. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

Looks short and fat like every other building in this town. Went from signature building to another meh fat @$$

When was it ever a "signature building"?

Personally, I've felt that every incarnation of the design so far, has been pretty meh fat @$$.

The current/most recent one being the least meh fat @$$, of a pretty meh fat @$$ bunch. 

I am thankful that they scrapped that "haphazardly stacked pile of crates" look they started out with.

That was hideous.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

When was it ever a "signature building"?

Personally, I've felt that every incarnation of the design so far, has been pretty meh fat @$$.

The current/most recent one being the least meh fat @$$, of a pretty meh fat @$$ bunch. 

I am thankful that they scrapped that "haphazardly stacked pile of crates" look they started out with.

That was hideous.  

LOL.  I was a fan of that "stack of books."  It looked very...something...that Orlando is not.  Maybe kinda Euro?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

LOL.  I was a fan of that "stack of books."  It looked very...something...that Orlando is not.  Maybe kinda Euro?

I okay with the concept or style per se, but only when it's done right.

Had that type of design been proposed for some other parcel, and had it not been so typically stubby like all Orlando buildings, with the huge, fat base it had, I would like to see something like that in DTO.

But given where it was proposed, as part of a set of two buildings, I felt it was too much of a radical departure from the design of CSP1. 

This new design, while not looking overly similar CSP1, has enough similar and compatible design elements, to sort of carry over and make the two buildings appear as though they belong next to each other.  

23 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I okay with the concept or style per se, but only when it's done right.

Had that type of design been proposed for some other parcel, and had it not been so typically stubby like all Orlando buildings, with the huge, fat base it had, I would like to see something like that in DTO.

But given where it was proposed, as part of a set of two buildings, I felt it was too much of a radical departure from the design of CSP1. 

This new design, while not looking overly similar CSP1, has enough similar and compatible design elements, to sort of carry over and make the two buildings appear as though they belong next to each other.  

yes, like one giant blob of fat @$$ LOL

13 hours ago, Tim3167 said:

My take is that the original rendering was pretty interesting and I was excited about it but the V2 of that was terrible and the current version is a welcome improvement from that half ass attempt at the stacked blocks.

Agreed.

Had they done it right, I would have liked that style in that spot.

But they made the base too fat and chunky with the tower portion too short and squatty.

To me it looked like they took a model of reasonably slender building, held it up in the air and dropped it, causing the entire thing to spread out and compress.  

And I think you're correct about the current version being a welcome improvement.

I could easily live with the current design getting built on hat site.

I am concerned with what someone else mentioned though, I think in the Society thread, about all these wide buildings going up along I-4 and blocking off the view of all the other buildings behind them. 

These two buildings together will, at certain angles, obliterate the view of the SunTruist tower and the rest of "the cluster".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GregoryMCSE said:

I think the current rendering looks good.  If this is the final version I think this is a win for Orlando’s skyline

Agreed.

Is it perfect? No.

Could it look better? Yes. 

But overall, it's a vast improvement over the junky looking "architectural fad" designs they had proposed before.  

And it works better for that location. 

• Like 3

On 9/13/2021 at 10:01 AM, GregoryMCSE said:

I think the current rendering looks good.  If this is the final version I think this is a win for Orlando’s skyline

I like it for the location.  The added density will be very apparent passing by what was considered a no-man's land. 

Edited by aleonrivera
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 11:34 AM, JFW657 said:

Agreed.

Had they done it right, I would have liked that style in that spot.

But they made the base too fat and chunky with the tower portion too short and squatty.

To me it looked like they took a model of reasonably slender building, held it up in the air and dropped it, causing the entire thing to spread out and compress.  

And I think you're correct about the current version being a welcome improvement.

I could easily live with the current design getting built on hat site.

I am concerned with what someone else mentioned though, I think in the Society thread, about all these wide buildings going up along I-4 and blocking off the view of all the other buildings behind them. 

These two buildings together will, at certain angles, obliterate the view of the SunTruist tower and the rest of "the cluster".

the wide buildings...if I'm not mistaken, the Seacoast Bank building at Robinson & Orange...I think it has the same footprint as that 1,300+ ft condo tower in NYC built about 4 years ago, and there are skinnier towers built since close to that height.  Talk about a different philosophy (based on mega $$$ of course)...

I always thought Chicago was the master of the fat buildings, what, with Merchandise Mart, Marshall Field's, the Sears Tower's 225' square base, Water Tower Place's mall level which is two blocks long, First Nat'l Bank's width, American Mart, Prudential, Mid Continental Plaza's width, Dirksen, etc., etc...

Now, I feel like Orlando is gonna take that title.

32 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

the wide buildings...if I'm not mistaken, the Seacoast Bank building at Robinson & Orange...I think it has the same footprint as that 1,300+ ft condo tower in NYC built about 4 years ago, and there are skinnier towers built since close to that height.  Talk about a different philosophy (based on mega $$$ of course)...

I always thought Chicago was the master of the fat buildings, what, with Merchandise Mart, Marshall Field's, the Sears Tower's 225' square base, Water Tower Place's mall level which is two blocks long, First Nat'l Bank's width, American Mart, Prudential, Mid Continental Plaza's width, Dirksen, etc., etc...

Now, I feel like Orlando is gonna take that title.

Hey! Hey! Hey! Fat Albert has been pushed aside…

• Like 1

Not sure if any of this is new info but I liked the perspective in the bottom rendering of the existing Church St. buuildings with the tower looming in the background:

https://bungalower.com/2021/10/04/designs-for-second-church-street-tower-project-go-to-historic-preservation-board/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

That bottom pic btw shows what COULD have been done with the Jaymont Block and would have made that corner much less sterile than what we ended up with. The difference of course is that Church St. was  landmarked (thanks, Bob Snow!) while McCrory’s and Woolworth’s had not been. 

So the developer made up a story about how it couldn’t be done and how they were too far gone (there are  restorations going on here in Jax that were further into disrepair than those were), yada, yada, yada. And, in true Orlando fashion, the story was swallowed hook, line and sinker.

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Not sure if any of this is new info but I liked the perspective in the bottom rendering of the existing Church St. buuildings with the tower looming in the background:

https://bungalower.com/2021/10/04/designs-for-second-church-street-tower-project-go-to-historic-preservation-board/

From Bungalower 

What grinds my gears is that nobody can get the height correct.

Bungalowure says 33 stories another website said 34 stories and Business journal says 35 stories. I just don't understand how everybody has information but it's all different.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

What grinds my gears is that nobody can get the height correct.

Bungalowure says 33 stories another website said 34 stories and Business journal says 35 stories. I just don't understand how everybody has information but it's all different.

We'll find out when the building opens :tw_tounge_wink:

• Haha 2