Jump to content

Church Street Plaza | 32-Story Hotel/Apt & Re-work of Former CSS Retail/Event Space [Phases 2/3 Planning Phase]


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe not the correct place for this, but let's just take a moment to inventory downtown. For those on here that say they want this or that, or they don't come downtown because it doesn't have enough

OBJ is reporting construction may begin on CSP2 by end of year.  https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/08/24/florida-orlando-office-apartment-building.html The project will feature:

35-Story Church Street Plaza Phase 2 is a go! BREAKING: BUILDERS REQUEST PERMIT TO DEMO THE BALLROOM Article: https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/09/07/orlando-florida-mixed-use-ap

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, orlandouprise said:

Looks short and fat like every other building in this town. Went from signature building to another meh fat @$$

I think it would look a lot better if it didn’t appear as if it was a part of our connected to CSP1. It sorta looks like one giant building and it makes tower 2 appear shorter and fatter than it actually is. I do like the design though and I’m interested to see how it all comes together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Musikprince said:

Does anyone know how long it takes on average to obtain that type of permit? You would've figured that it would've been already in place if they were going to start the demo before the end of the year as suggested!

If they have a complete application, 3-4 weeks. If not, double it. 

16 hours ago, Musikprince said:

Does anyone know how long it takes on average to obtain that type of permit? You would've figured that it would've been already in place if they were going to start the demo before the end of the year as suggested!

Construction permits are 4-6 months in Orlando. They may get a foundation only permit to get a head start. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

Looks short and fat like every other building in this town. Went from signature building to another meh fat @$$

When was it ever a "signature building"?

Personally, I've felt that every incarnation of the design so far, has been pretty meh fat @$$.

The current/most recent one being the least meh fat @$$, of a pretty meh fat @$$ bunch. 

I am thankful that they scrapped that "haphazardly stacked pile of crates" look they started out with.

That was hideous.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

When was it ever a "signature building"?

Personally, I've felt that every incarnation of the design so far, has been pretty meh fat @$$.

The current/most recent one being the least meh fat @$$, of a pretty meh fat @$$ bunch. 

I am thankful that they scrapped that "haphazardly stacked pile of crates" look they started out with.

That was hideous.  

LOL.  I was a fan of that "stack of books."  It looked very...something...that Orlando is not.  Maybe kinda Euro?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

LOL.  I was a fan of that "stack of books."  It looked very...something...that Orlando is not.  Maybe kinda Euro?

I okay with the concept or style per se, but only when it's done right.

Had that type of design been proposed for some other parcel, and had it not been so typically stubby like all Orlando buildings, with the huge, fat base it had, I would like to see something like that in DTO.

But given where it was proposed, as part of a set of two buildings, I felt it was too much of a radical departure from the design of CSP1. 

This new design, while not looking overly similar CSP1, has enough similar and compatible design elements, to sort of carry over and make the two buildings appear as though they belong next to each other.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I okay with the concept or style per se, but only when it's done right.

Had that type of design been proposed for some other parcel, and had it not been so typically stubby like all Orlando buildings, with the huge, fat base it had, I would like to see something like that in DTO.

But given where it was proposed, as part of a set of two buildings, I felt it was too much of a radical departure from the design of CSP1. 

This new design, while not looking overly similar CSP1, has enough similar and compatible design elements, to sort of carry over and make the two buildings appear as though they belong next to each other.  

yes, like one giant blob of fat @$$ LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Tim3167 said:

My take is that the original rendering was pretty interesting and I was excited about it but the V2 of that was terrible and the current version is a welcome improvement from that half ass attempt at the stacked blocks.

Agreed.

Had they done it right, I would have liked that style in that spot.

But they made the base too fat and chunky with the tower portion too short and squatty.

To me it looked like they took a model of reasonably slender building, held it up in the air and dropped it, causing the entire thing to spread out and compress.  

And I think you're correct about the current version being a welcome improvement.

I could easily live with the current design getting built on hat site.

I am concerned with what someone else mentioned though, I think in the Society thread, about all these wide buildings going up along I-4 and blocking off the view of all the other buildings behind them. 

These two buildings together will, at certain angles, obliterate the view of the SunTruist tower and the rest of "the cluster".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GregoryMCSE said:

I think the current rendering looks good.  If this is the final version I think this is a win for Orlando’s skyline

Agreed.

Is it perfect? No.

Could it look better? Yes. 

But overall, it's a vast improvement over the junky looking "architectural fad" designs they had proposed before.  

And it works better for that location. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2021 at 10:01 AM, GregoryMCSE said:

I think the current rendering looks good.  If this is the final version I think this is a win for Orlando’s skyline

I like it for the location.  The added density will be very apparent passing by what was considered a no-man's land. 

Edited by aleonrivera
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 11:34 AM, JFW657 said:

Agreed.

Had they done it right, I would have liked that style in that spot.

But they made the base too fat and chunky with the tower portion too short and squatty.

To me it looked like they took a model of reasonably slender building, held it up in the air and dropped it, causing the entire thing to spread out and compress.  

And I think you're correct about the current version being a welcome improvement.

I could easily live with the current design getting built on hat site.

I am concerned with what someone else mentioned though, I think in the Society thread, about all these wide buildings going up along I-4 and blocking off the view of all the other buildings behind them. 

These two buildings together will, at certain angles, obliterate the view of the SunTruist tower and the rest of "the cluster".

the wide buildings...if I'm not mistaken, the Seacoast Bank building at Robinson & Orange...I think it has the same footprint as that 1,300+ ft condo tower in NYC built about 4 years ago, and there are skinnier towers built since close to that height.  Talk about a different philosophy (based on mega $$$ of course)...

I always thought Chicago was the master of the fat buildings, what, with Merchandise Mart, Marshall Field's, the Sears Tower's 225' square base, Water Tower Place's mall level which is two blocks long, First Nat'l Bank's width, American Mart, Prudential, Mid Continental Plaza's width, Dirksen, etc., etc...

Now, I feel like Orlando is gonna take that title.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

the wide buildings...if I'm not mistaken, the Seacoast Bank building at Robinson & Orange...I think it has the same footprint as that 1,300+ ft condo tower in NYC built about 4 years ago, and there are skinnier towers built since close to that height.  Talk about a different philosophy (based on mega $$$ of course)...

I always thought Chicago was the master of the fat buildings, what, with Merchandise Mart, Marshall Field's, the Sears Tower's 225' square base, Water Tower Place's mall level which is two blocks long, First Nat'l Bank's width, American Mart, Prudential, Mid Continental Plaza's width, Dirksen, etc., etc...

Now, I feel like Orlando is gonna take that title.

Hey! Hey! Hey! Fat Albert has been pushed aside…

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if any of this is new info but I liked the perspective in the bottom rendering of the existing Church St. buuildings with the tower looming in the background:

https://bungalower.com/2021/10/04/designs-for-second-church-street-tower-project-go-to-historic-preservation-board/

From Bungalower 
 

 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That bottom pic btw shows what COULD have been done with the Jaymont Block and would have made that corner much less sterile than what we ended up with. The difference of course is that Church St. was  landmarked (thanks, Bob Snow!) while McCrory’s and Woolworth’s had not been. 

So the developer made up a story about how it couldn’t be done and how they were too far gone (there are  restorations going on here in Jax that were further into disrepair than those were), yada, yada, yada. And, in true Orlando fashion, the story was swallowed hook, line and sinker.
 

Edited by spenser1058
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Not sure if any of this is new info but I liked the perspective in the bottom rendering of the existing Church St. buuildings with the tower looming in the background:

https://bungalower.com/2021/10/04/designs-for-second-church-street-tower-project-go-to-historic-preservation-board/

From Bungalower 
 

 

What grinds my gears is that nobody can get the height correct.

Bungalowure says 33 stories another website said 34 stories and Business journal says 35 stories. I just don't understand how everybody has information but it's all different.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

What grinds my gears is that nobody can get the height correct.

Bungalowure says 33 stories another website said 34 stories and Business journal says 35 stories. I just don't understand how everybody has information but it's all different.

 We'll find out when the building opens :tw_tounge_wink:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By rjp212
      New Casino for Manchester.  $350 million dollar project with 275 rooms.  Honestly, I did not expect this at all. 
      https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/01/17/breaking-news-pamunkey-tribe-planning-350m-casino-in-manchester/

    • By smeagolsfree
      There is a public meeting tonight at the 5th and Taylor Warehouse in Germantown @ 6:30 PM. I may try and go. They are supposed to unveil the planed for the project.
      I am throwing this out for anyone that wants to go.
    • By southernnorthcarolina
      An uncomfortable question, but one that needs to be asked, in light of 'rona and riots:  how bad a long-term hit has the demand for office space and hotel rooms taken?  I don't want to leave out residential, retail, bars and restaurants, parking garages, and public/cultural facilities, which are already having a tough time, but office and hotel  demand seems to be in a particularly difficult long-term spot.  
      Years ago, one of the big commercial real estate companies, in conjunction with, as I recall, the Central Charlotte Association (since absorbed by the Charlotte Chamber) kept a running count of office vecancy by building.  Is such a list still being maintained?  What's the real vacancy rate for uptown office space?  And by "real," I mean stats which avoid double-counting leases (counting as occupied both the space that Law Firm X is currently leasing but is scheduled to leave, and the space they will occupy in a new building).  Surely it has become a renters' market, given the massive office square footage recently added or under construction.  It seems obvious that the new buildings will have to slash their rental rates and/or increase their tenant upfit allowances, as well as offer deeply discounted or free parking.  But the real hammer might fall on the so-called Class B buildings which were built in the 1960s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.  Take, for example, the 400 South Tryon building, the gold and white building known as Wachovia Center in the 70s and 80s, and later occupied mostly by Duke Power (now Duke Energy).  is Duke still the major tenant there?  If so, not for long, I would surmise.  What about BB&T Center, at 200 South College?  Southern Bell was for many years its majority tenant; when they left, Bank of America took most of their space for back-office operations.  But now, in addition to BB&T leaving, BofA has greatly reduced its space, and I would guess might leave entirely.  Who would fill the building?  And the once-tallest and most prestigious office building uptown, the all-glass BofA Plaza, will certainly have some move-outs.  What about One, Two, and Three Wells Fargo?  Is Wells occupying more space than they need?
      If anything, the hotel situation may be more dire.  I trust the NFL and NBA will be fully back in a year or less, but it will be a long time before the convention business bounces back.  That's the life blood of hotels, of course, and new hotel rooms, from economical to luxe, are rapidly coming on line.
      I hate to be negative.  I've always been a Charlotte booster.  Would anyone like to demonstrate that things look better than I think they do?  
    • By dcluley98
      Five-Story, Five-unit,   contemporary Townhome building with a maximum elevation height of 57.5 feet located in the Lake Eola Heights neighborhood. 
      330 Broadway Ave. & 245 E. Ridgewood St.

      The townhomes will be approximately 4,100 SF each and come with two-car garages and  terraces on the top floor offering views of Lake Eola and the Linton E. Allen Memorial fountain.

      https://www.fountainvu5.com/





      This project has begun construction and they are currently forming the foundations on the project site just northeast of Landmark I: 
       

    • By KJHburg
      Photos from today this JW Marriott hotel at Plant Riverside  is getting ready to open in November of this year.  This is a great project new construction blending with renovated old power plant all along the Savannah River. This project will include an extension of the riverwalk further towards the bridge.  
      http://www.plantriverside.com/#home
       
       




















×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.