The Edge | 32-Story Mixed Use + SunRail Station [Proposed/Demo Underway]

HankStrong

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

https://floridayimby.com/2021/09/35-story-church-street-phase-2-mixed-use-tower-set-to-rise-later-this-year-in-downtown-orlando.html

BY: OSCAR NUNEZ 8:00 AM ON SEPTEMBER 1, 2021

Orlando’s urban core is poised to see new large scale developments as Dallas-based real estate developer Lincoln Property Company may soon begin construction on  The Edge, a 34-story mixed-use skyscraper set to rise approximately 400-feet over the Downtown area some time during the fourth quarter of this year. The tower is expected to rise at 225 South Garland Avenue, just north of the developer’s 28-story SunTrust Plaza completed in 2020, replacing the former club/venue replacing the former Ballroom at Church Street Station. Designed by architect Baker Barrios, the project will yield 230 residential units, 200,000 square feet of office space and 4,000 square feet of retail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What I'm curious about, is why are the undersides of these balconies angled down and back towards the building from the outside?

edgebalcony.jpg

Is this some kind of optical illusion or eye-trick of perspective?

Or are there angled braces in there to give them extra strength?

They don't seem to be connected to anything substantial at the back.

Never seen anything like that before.

Just now, JFW657 said:

What I'm curious about, is why are the undersides of these balconies angled down and back towards the building from the outside?

edgebalcony.jpg

Is this some kind of optical illusion or eye-trick of perspective?

Or are there angled braces in there to give them extra strength?

They don't seem to be connected to anything substantial at the back.

Never seen anything like that before.

I think it's supposed to be shadows--notice how they get progressively smaller as you descend levels, as if it's closer to sunrise/sunset time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GregoryMCSE said:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

https://floridayimby.com/2021/09/35-story-church-street-phase-2-mixed-use-tower-set-to-rise-later-this-year-in-downtown-orlando.html

BY: OSCAR NUNEZ 8:00 AM ON SEPTEMBER 1, 2021

Orlando’s urban core is poised to see new large scale developments as Dallas-based real estate developer Lincoln Property Company may soon begin construction on  The Edge, a 34-story mixed-use skyscraper set to rise approximately 400-feet over the Downtown area some time during the fourth quarter of this year. The tower is expected to rise at 225 South Garland Avenue, just north of the developer’s 28-story SunTrust Plaza completed in 2020, replacing the former club/venue replacing the former Ballroom at Church Street Station. Designed by architect Baker Barrios, the project will yield 230 residential units, 200,000 square feet of office space and 4,000 square feet of retail.

What was the purpose of resposting this ?

3 hours ago, smileguy said:

I think this last rendering does a great job of showing how the two buildings belong together.  Some may not like that, thinking that previous iterations were more exciting, but maybe this will provide some context for the AC building that makes it feel less like a sore thumb.

Yep.

Not identical to each other, but with some common design elements.

They look more like two pieces of a set.

When they first announced another building would be going up there, I assumed they'd try to make them look like part of a plaza in which both buildings were designed to have a certain, similar look. 

When I saw that first "stacked crates" rendering, I was surprised and disappointed.

Actually, and AFAIC, I think they could/should have given the new design even more similarities to the first one.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Tim3167 said:

I don’t think I’ve seen this shared here before but pretty cool

Also this nice site  with some more info with a link to a nifty brochure

https://www.lpcsoutheast.com/properties/theedge/

Thanks for posting. I hadn’t see this before.  It is cool to see what this building is going to look like at night all lit up.  The more I see this building the more I like it. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

If this gets built as the current design shows, and not VE'd to death, this will be a bit of a "gamechanger".  An actual urban SunRail station connected to office building, hotels, food hall, bank, and Church Street, 2 blocks away from Amway Center, a movie theater, and the eventual UnderEye park.  Short walk to Exploria Stadium, and hell, if S+ED gets built, that is another huge venue. The latest design actually looks good IMO and the first Baker Barrios design I have actually liked. It has height and really ties into adjacent buildings with Mr. T and the old SunTrust Building.  

What is S+ED venue?

On 11/10/2021 at 10:35 PM, GregoryMCSE said:

Thanks for posting. I hadn’t see this before.  It is cool to see what this building is going to look like at night all lit up.  The more I see this building the more I like it. 

Gotta give it to the Baker Barrios marketing team.  These new video renderings the last couple years have really made their projects look a lot better!

• Like 1