The Edge | 32-Story Mixed Use + SunRail Station [Proposed/Demo Underway]

HankStrong

3 hours ago, orange87 said:

I went there once. The food was mediocre at best and the employees were loud, ghetto and rude. I'd never go back.

AMEN TO THIS! 

wahlburgers is the most over-hyped up place.

The only reason it stays in business is because people from all over go to check it out. 

You go there and employees just ignore you....

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Buddy simply has no interest in the holistic quality of downtown

I believe you mean he doesn't agree with your definition of what downtown should be. However, he stated nearly 20 years ago what his vision was and the direction he wanted to go. He has to put that vision and his "successes" on the line on a day to day basis and then every 4 years the citizens get to decide if they are happy with it or not. I know this continues to befuddle you, but the voters have OVERWHELMINGLY continued to support him. I understand you do not agree with his direction and appreciate you have a different take on where Orlando should be going, but other than here on this forum I don't sense any appetite for trying to be like Sanford, WG, NSB, etc.

Regarding the landlord/ tenant issue, I said this months ago when this came up- it is not the duty of the City to adjudicate this. It is a civil court issue. The fact that the City has offered any assistance is nice, but certainly not necessary.  Lincoln deserves just as much "protection" of their rights as Mary's does- no more, no less. However, as the property owner Lincoln has the final say and the City could do absolutely nothing about it if they wanted to.

This situation is in no way comparable to the Fox Theater situation in Atlanta. No one is talking about tearing down a central landmark that has been in place since the '20s... we're talking about a hamburger chain that has a very small, albeit enthusiastic following. 

Btw, Mary's has talked about moving to the tourist district for several years.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I believe you mean he doesn't agree with your definition of what downtown should be. However, he stated nearly 20 years ago what his vision was and the direction he wanted to go. He has to put that vision and his "successes" on the line on a day to day basis and then every 4 years the citizens get to decide if they are happy with it or not. I know this continues to befuddle you, but the voters have OVERWHELMINGLY continued to support him. I understand you do not agree with his direction and appreciate you have a different take on where Orlando should be going, but other than here on this forum I don't sense any appetite for trying to be like Sanford, WG, NSB, etc.

Regarding the landlord/ tenant issue, I said this months ago when this came up- it is not the duty of the City to adjudicate this. It is a civil court issue. The fact that the City has offered any assistance is nice, but certainly not necessary.  Lincoln deserves just as much "protection" of their rights as Mary's does- no more, no less. However, as the property owner Lincoln has the final say and the City could do absolutely nothing about it if they wanted to.

This situation is in no way comparable to the Fox Theater situation in Atlanta. No one is talking about tearing down a central landmark that has been in place since the '20s... we're talking about a hamburger chain that has a very small, albeit enthusiastic following. 

With an overwhelming 9% turnout of the electorate thanks to an election date engineered for low turnout by... Buddy. Hardly an overwhelming mandate.

Buddy has never run in a mayoral election that wasn’t conducted on the concept of turning out a very small base. I know because I was there at the beginning - were you?

The truth is the initial campaign was done on a wing and a prayer because Buddy had just lost the AG election and flipped to the special election mayoral election at the last minute.

He basically promised to fix Parramore (he still hasn’t) and to give the downtown bar owners free reign compared to what Glenda had done.He also set himself apart on social issues especially to the gay community (which he promptly walked back on election night by all but ignoring us). For the most part, he had no real platform initially.

Edited by spenser1058

10 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

With an overwhelming 9% turnout of the electorate thanks to an election date engineered for low turnout by... Buddy. Hardly an overwhelming mandate.

Buddy has never run in a mayoral election that wasn’t conducted on the concept of turning out a very small base. I know because I was there at the beginning - were you?

We only count the votes that are cast.

Yes I was.

2 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

AMEN TO THIS! 

wahlburgers is the most over-hyped up place.

The only reason it stays in business is because people from all over go to check it out. 

You go there and employees just ignore you....

I asked for a well-done burger because I don't think it's safe to eat undercooked ground beef. I like my steaks medium-rare for what it's worth. They get me a burger that was practically raw in the middle. I usually try to cut restaurants some slack. I usually don't send stuff back over little things. I would have just eaten it if it was slightly pink in the middle, but this thing was practically mooing. When I went back to the counter to ask them to cook it more, this fat black woman who was cooking the patties started throwing a temper tantrum. I don't think she knew I was right there because she proceeded to talk s*** about me and when she realized I was there she told me to go back to my table. Truly unbelievable. If I was Mark Wahlberg, I wouldn't want this restaurant linked to my name.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JFW657 said:

If I owned a "bag/Swag" (or even knew what one is) I might just put some in there if I was going to get a burger. 

As the BSA like to say.... "Be prepared".

Pop culture hx: Beyoncé came out with a song a few years ago with the lyrics, "I got hot sauce in my bag/swag" as an ode to her Louisiana creole roots. People created memes about their personal must-have condiments  brought from home while dining out. Then on the campaign trail HRC admitted to carrying hot sauce with her everywhere and caught flak for it lol.

And now you're thinking about bringing your spice rack with you... ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That would be the 1959 First National building, right? It would be fun if they could retro it to a mid century look.

The building opened during Ike’s recession and the phone company (including operators) moved over from the old terra cotta building on Wall St. because the bank didn’t have a lot of demand for the upper floors (it was 10-11 stories or so and the first tower since the Depression other than the 1957 City Hall they imploded in Lethal Weapon 3).

When you wanted phone service, you had to go to a little brick building across Boone Avenue, talk by phone to a phone company lady and then wait for someone to get your phones (in those days, Southern Bell owned the phones, not you - they were all landline, of course).

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Consider this:  NOLA has Canal Street corridor and the French Quarter...they are adjacent to each other.  In Orlando, by contrast, these two comparable corridors are on top of each other and the City has not tried to preserve the stuff Spenser has been talking about while at the same time pushing the other forward at the expense of the former.  You kinda need both, otherwise you end of with sh!t.  

Orlando has never celebrated their old buildings- as limited in number as they are.  Only now, in 2020, has the Centerstate Bank (M&M) finally tried to build up retail along Orange Ave (unless they tried prior to 15 years ago and it failed).  But they were hell bent on tearing down that old historic San Juan hotel after the pyros did their worst.  Every one of these newer buildings lining Orange Ave. could've been built mid-block off of Orange Ave. while preserving the store and shop fronts along Orange Ave.

And by doing it the way they've done, they decreased the value and desirability of property off of the Orange Ave corridor over the decades.  Now, most of the property to the west of Orange Ave. is covered predominantly with parking lots and parking garages.  It's pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Pop culture hx: Beyoncé came out with a song a few years ago with the lyrics, "I got hot sauce in my bag/swag" as an ode to her Louisiana creole roots. People created memes about their personal must-have condiments  brought from home while dining out. Then on the campaign trail HRC admitted to carrying hot sauce with her everywhere and caught flak for it lol.

I've heard the term "swag bag" used to describe free, giveaway "goodie bags", but never the other way around.  

But yeah, I'd have to carry my soy sauce and onion powder in something, I guess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I've heard the term "swag bag" used to describe free, giveaway "goodie bags", but never the other way around.  

But yeah, I'd have to carry my soy sauce and onion powder in something, I guess.

I have a friend who makes messenger bags and man purses if you’d like one...

7 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Consider this:  NOLA has Canal Street corridor and the French Quarter...they are adjacent to each other.  In Orlando, by contrast, these two comparable corridors are on top of each other and the City has not tried to preserve the stuff Spenser has been talking about while at the same time pushing the other forward at the expense of the former.  You kinda need both, otherwise you end of with sh!t.  

Orlando has never celebrated their old buildings- as limited in number as they are.  Only now, in 2020, has the Centerstate Bank (M&M) finally tried to build up retail along Orange Ave (unless they tried prior to 15 years ago and it failed).  But they were hell bent on tearing down that old historic San Juan hotel after the pyros did their worst.  Every one of these newer buildings lining Orange Ave. could've been built mid-block off of Orange Ave. while preserving the store and shop fronts along Orange Ave.

And by doing it the way they've done, they decreased the value and desirability of property off of the Orange Ave corridor over the decades.  Now, most of the property to the west of Orange Ave. is covered predominantly with parking lots and parking garages.  It's pathetic.

I'm assuming you're talking about the City from an overall historic perspective regarding demo of old buildings and rebuild of newer ones along Orange. You'd need to refresh my memory on any within the past 20 years as I only recall the oft discussed Jaymont block. The San Juan was 4 decades ago, wasn't it...? Maybe some of the smaller, less memorable ones have fallen more recently I just don't recall them.

Also, I'm not real familiar with many "newer"cities (such as Orlando) that fit your description of leaving smaller, older buildings facing Main St and pushing the newer larger buildings mid-block. Maybe that is a "thing", it has just never caught my attention. Are there other good examples?

On 4/3/2020 at 7:58 PM, AmIReal said:

I'm assuming you're talking about the City from an overall historic perspective regarding demo of old buildings and rebuild of newer ones along Orange. You'd need to refresh my memory on any within the past 20 years as I only recall the oft discussed Jaymont block. The San Juan was 4 decades ago, wasn't it...? Maybe some of the smaller, less memorable ones have fallen more recently I just don't recall them.

Also, I'm not real familiar with many "newer"cities (such as Orlando) that fit your description of leaving smaller, older buildings facing Main St and pushing the newer larger buildings mid-block. Maybe that is a "thing", it has just never caught my attention. Are there other good examples?

I am talking historically.  If you go into like several newer buildings downtown they have those glass box dioramas of what once stood on that very same block.  I get that even Chicago has done this over the decades, but a city like that has huge history and an incredible inventory of pre-war buildings downtown.  Orlando doesn't.  Some of these older buildings have longstanding businesses in them.  Those same businesses can't survive in higher rent newer structures.  

The Plaza is like The Civic Opera House; it has a front and it has a back; there's local Chicago lore on why the "back" faces the Loop; but with The Plaza, the back faces Magnolia where there still is almost zero activity sans LeGourmet Break and the failed Frank n Stein's and the entrance to Solaire.  There was more activity on that corridor before that.  Along Pine, the only reason the 34 E. Pine St building exists and wasn't razed is because Kuhn had to purchase it because of the expensive firewall issue.  he rest of the corridor from Court to Magnolia is still intact.

The Jaymont Block was actually two square city blocks of older buildings.

Then you have the Orlando Magic and the Amway Center; whatever was there that they tore down, and, the garages and businesses across the street- a half dozen at least.

I can't think of any examples at the moment but in other cities where they build on the main streets, they have many older buildings mid block and further away; Orlando doesn't, which is my point.

Wow... I stayed out of this thread for too long.

On 4/3/2020 at 3:55 AM, nite owℓ said:

Technically, hot sauce in my bag first became a  "meme" with former NBA player Delonte West who filmed a freestyle rap at a KFC drive thru back in 2009.  This was then followed up in 2016 with Beyonce saying the line in Formation.

On 4/3/2020 at 1:10 PM, JFW657 said:

Lyrics, and especially rap lyrics are denoted with "/" at the end of a line as a transition into another line.  A common technique in rap is to have the last / first word have a multiple meaning, or in this case a finishing note that redefines the previous sentence with a metaphor.

The Drake verse from Forever back in 2009 had a bunch of these: https://genius.com/Drake-kanye-west-lil-wayne-and-eminem-forever-lyrics

Swimmin' in the money, come and find me, Nemo
If I was at the club, you know I balled, chemo

"Ballin" at a club generally refers to spending a lot of money and being a big deal at a club.  However, when spoken aloud, it is a homophone for the word bald, which is a side effect of chemotherapy.

In the Beyonce case, the previous line is "Earned all this money but never take the country out of me".  It is not uncommon for people to take hot sauce with them to establishments that either do not have it, or only have a brand they do not like (I for one despise tabasco and argue that its a flavor and not a hot sauce, so I have been known to keep packets of Franks or Cholula or Crystal with me if I know we're going to a place that does not have it).  However this is often seen as more of a "poor" trait.  Adding swag at the end flips it around referencing swag bags which are generally only given out in industries that are attended by upper middle class.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 8:04 AM, jgardnerucf said:

Converting the above walburgers floors to condos could be nice for more foot traffic.

On 4/3/2020 at 8:42 AM, dcluley98 said:

They are bidding a project for interior fit-out of that building right now which will do just that. Converting part of the office space to residential. 

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks converting this space for long-term residential use is a weird idea. I could understand using the space for micro Airbnb units/short-term rentals, but condos??

Any plans to add balconies? Otherwise, that's a huge con, IMO. Part of the allure of living on the main strip would be its walkability and access to events/parades at one's doorstep, but not having a balcony (even if rarely used) tends to make people feel like trapped/claustrophobic. Will it also include a pool, gym, event space, etc.? These are typical amenities that people expect in downtown apartments/condos. Just not sure if a basic structure w/no amenities will attract very many buyers... unless it's super affordable - then that would change everything lol.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Technically, hot sauce in my bag first became a  "meme" with former NBA player Delonte West who filmed a freestyle rap at a KFC drive thru back in 2009.  This was then followed up in 2016 with Beyonce saying the line in Formation.

Wow, Thiefoncé strikes again. ;)

16 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Lyrics, and especially rap lyrics are denoted with "/" at the end of a line as a transition into another line.  A common technique in rap is to have the last / first word have a multiple meaning, or in this case a finishing note that redefines the previous sentence with a metaphor.

The Drake verse from Forever back in 2009 had a bunch of these: https://genius.com/Drake-kanye-west-lil-wayne-and-eminem-forever-lyrics

Swimmin' in the money, come and find me, Nemo
If I was at the club, you know I balled, chemo

"Ballin" at a club generally refers to spending a lot of money and being a big deal at a club.  However, when spoken aloud, it is a homophone for the word bald, which is a side effect of chemotherapy.

In the Beyonce case, the previous line is "Earned all this money but never take the country out of me".  It is not uncommon for people to take hot sauce with them to establishments that either do not have it, or only have a brand they do not like (I for one despise tabasco and argue that its a flavor and not a hot sauce, so I have been known to keep packets of Franks or Cholula or Crystal with me if I know we're going to a place that does not have it).  However this is often seen as more of a "poor" trait.  Adding swag at the end flips it around referencing swag bags which are generally only given out in industries that are attended by upper middle class.

Andy's bringing a master class on rap lyrics to UP! I couldn't resist the opportunity to rag on JFW since he contemplated bringing soy sauce and onion powder to burger places, but I didn't want to delve too deep into my explanation so I just left it at that. But since you brought it up... I always thought the swag in Bey's context of "I have hot sauce in my bag/swag" was more so referring to her creole-country aesthetic/swagger/lifestyle that goes along with bringing condiments out to eat everywhere rather than literally referring to a swag bag. But what do I know, that song is a mess lol.:dontknow:

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1