The Edge | 32-Story Mixed Use + SunRail Station [Proposed/Demo Underway]

HankStrong

On 2/26/2022 at 6:52 AM, prahaboheme said:

Until then — 

We all come here assuming the best yet get Mel Gibson.

Got it!

Guess you'll have to move back to Otown, that way you'll get first hand updates. ;)

How's the apt search coming along or are you staying put in LA?

22 hours ago, GregoryMCSE said:

Normally I get annoyed when a thread is highjacked… but I love the Rockford Files. 

There should be a little bit of leeway given for that type of thing, I believe.

Threads very rarely go off topic around here, so if it happens once in a great while, it's NBD and best to just let it run its course. 

23 hours ago, GregoryMCSE said:

Rockford Files was so much better than run of the mill 70’s shows.  Part of it was James Garner   And part of it was all of the great character actors on the show.     

It really was.

It didn't have the same "TV show" feel as the others did.

Felt natural like regular folks doin' stuff.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, JFW657 said:

There should be a little bit of leeway given for that type of thing, I believe.

Threads very rarely go off topic around here, so if it happens once in a great while, it's NBD and best to just let it run its course. 

It really was.

It didn't have the same "TV show" feel as the others did.

Felt natural like regular folks doin' stuff.

LMAO.  ok, you may think I'm a nut, it's all good...but that was funny:  "best to let it run its course".  it's like a weekend that's been shot bc you have to stay close to a bathroom because of something you ate.  LOL.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jliv said:

I hope they cancel the project.  So FUGLY...

I agree it’s quite ugly and typical puzzling Baker Barrios “architecture.”

The net gain is the integrated Sunrail station and the food hall to CSS. 

I hope it still happens. The value engineering may just take care of the architectural flourishes and tone it down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I agree it’s quite ugly and typical puzzling Baker Barrios “architecture.”

The net gain is the integrated Sunrail station and the food hall to CSS. 

I hope it still happens. The value engineering may just take care of the architectural flourishes and tone it down.

haha. now that would be something...value engineering actually helping an oddly design building

On 3/4/2022 at 11:23 AM, prahaboheme said:
It’s not complaining — it’s criticism.
It’s totally acceptable that it looks “fine” to you and not to others.

The checkerboard pattern established by the positioning of the balconies and the lighting to outline them just fills me with slight horror. Checkerboards belong on gingham table cloths in your local diner, not on a signature building. It makes the “Eyesore on I-4” look like a Calatrava masterpiece (another BB assault on the eyes) The rest of the building is OK. The idea of thousands of drivers being faced with that every day as they pass on I-4 as a centrepiece of the skyline doesn’t do “Brand Orlando” any favors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jliv
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

It’s not complaining — it’s criticism.

It’s totally acceptable that it looks “fine” to you and not to others.

OK, I stand corrected.

I should have said criticism, but it was late and it just didn't occur to me to do so at the time.

That having been said, I am curious as to what the UPO critics of this design would find acceptable and would rather see there.

So I am requesting politely, for anyone who has issues with the design of this proposal, to post examples of buildings from any other cities in the world, of what you feel not only should, but COULD realistically go up there.

IOW, no super talls because we know they aren't allowed.

But anything in the 400' range would be fine.

BTW, feel free to design your own if you've a mind to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jliv said:

The checkerboard pattern established by the positioning of the balconies and the lighting to outline them just fills me with slight horror. Checkerboards belong on gingham table cloths in your local diner, not on a signature building. It makes the “Eyesore on I-4” look like a Calatrava masterpiece (another BB assault on the eyes) The rest of the building is OK. The idea of millions of drivers being faced with that every day as they pass on I-4 as a centrepiece of the skyline doesn’t do “Brand Orlando” any favors.

when you've lived all over the world, you see cool stuff.  that's why you have that perspective.  I'm an architecture buff and I always draw comparisons to The Windy City and sometimes NYC based on what I've seen there.  I personally feel like these local architects from The ATL are pumping out substandard products in Orlando (although I did see Solaire's twin in Buckhead and it looked identical, so maybe not).

I mean, that female architect that designed Vista Tower in Chi-Town...design something on a smaller scale but equally as cool down here.

But, as JFW657 accurately pointed out, it's about demand.

15 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

This is ugly to you ? Compared to the first two designs ? 

Screenshot_20220303-212314.png

Also, I've done all the research I can. I really don't get why this project hasn't broke ground yet. 

I like the original version better, but I like this one too. 

And yes I'd like to see the naysayers ideas of the perfect tower for this spot under 400' or 500'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

And yes I'd like to see the naysayers ideas of the perfect tower for this spot under 400' or 500'

I'm with you on that - the original version was SHOCKINGLY modern and stylish for BBArch (although I know some hated it); the middle version was horrifying, and the last update was a relative relief but still not as exciting as the first. I'm also concerned about the checkerboard pattern. But, I'm not delusional enough to think it would be better if this project didn't happen; I'm rooting for it, and it's a big win for Orlando if it happens. The design evolution on this one does raise the question of who is ultimately responsible for BBArch's generally uninspired (dare I say flaccid) designs - is it them, their clients, or a bit of both.

5 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

just to play devil's advocate, that nighttime rendering is not what this thing will look like in the daytime.  I saw that one rendering from street level from the north looking south and it looked awful; bulky, with cheap exterior elements.  My idea would be to make sure the western facade looked that way on all facades, ala the use of glass, stainless steel, etc., but it won't b/c of $$$.  At least Orlando was able to get granite clad structures in the '80's and glass clad structures before that.  The banks; all of the banks sans Southern Comm and 5th Third got good buildings. The late 90's gave us precast.  I remember when the early '80's in Chicago gave us curtain wall.  I'll take that over a checkerboard lattice along the eastern lower half facade of CSP 1. In the absence of what I wrote, give me a '60's style glass and steel box ala Equitable or JC Klucynski where Blago got tried.  I would kill for those here...

I loved the original design, but it was probably too adventurous (and maybe too expensive) for the tenants Lincoln is pursuing. However, the problem with the building is the complete lack of imagination in dealing with an apparent requirement for lots of open space through balconies and terraces to enjoy the Florida weather. The lighting fixtures in the nighttime rendering really accentuates those flaws. Something more beautiful is demonstrated with a couple of my favorite residential buildings in the world, in Milan:

837015a0403d81d53abeb85ad39c5804.jpg

The urban “landscaping” in this may have sustainability issues in a hotter climate like Orlando, but the random positioning of the balconies are interesting to the eye. You see a lot of this “green” architecture in South America, but I don’t think it would look out of place in Florida. However, it’s a Dallas developer behind this project, and no one would accuse Dallas of being a hotbed of imagination. Since “The Edge” is a split between office and apartments, they could get away with something more interesting on faces of the top portion.

I’m also a fan of curves, as shown in this recent office development near Zoo station in Berlin:

ce5677cfebf5183618c92d5831ee4292.jpg

Why doesn’t BB just start copying European architects, instead of those in Atlanta and Dallas? (For the record, I do love what I still think of as “SunBank Center” or even the new Truist building) Not so much the First FA building, Solaire, or (bleeech) 55 West.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jliv said:

I loved the original design, but it was probably too adventurous (and maybe too expensive) for the tenants Lincoln is pursuing. However, the problem with the building is the complete lack of imagination in dealing with an apparent requirement for lots of open space through balconies and terraces to enjoy the Florida weather. The lighting fixtures in the nighttime rendering really accentuates those flaws. Something more beautiful is demonstrated with a couple of my favorite residential buildings in the world, in Milan:

837015a0403d81d53abeb85ad39c5804.jpg

The urban “landscaping” in this may have sustainability issues in a hotter climate like Orlando, but the random positioning of the balconies are interesting to the eye. You see a lot of this “green” architecture in South America, but I don’t think it would look out of place in Florida. However, it’s a Dallas developer behind this project, and no one would accuse Dallas of being a hotbed of imagination. Since “The Edge” is a split between office and apartments, they could get away with something more interesting on faces of the top portion.

I’m also a fan of curves, as shown in this recent office development near Zoo station in Berlin:

ce5677cfebf5183618c92d5831ee4292.jpg

Why doesn’t BB just start copying European architects, instead of those in Atlanta and Dallas? (For the record, I do love what I still think of as “SunBank Center” or even the new Truist building) Not so much the First FA building, Solaire, or (bleeech) 55 West.

Those aren't bad looking designs, but IMO neither would be a good fit for the location in question.

They both, especially the green building with the vegetation all over it might, be a good fit over by Lake Eola with the tree canopy over there.

The curved building would look good anywhere in DTO as long as it wasn't paired as part of a set of two with the other one looking totally unrelated. 

I like to see tie-in features.

But again,  JMHO.  

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Those aren't bad looking designs, but IMO neither would be a good fit for the location in question.

They both, especially the green building with the vegetation all over it might, be a good fit over by Lake Eola with the tree canopy over there.

The curved building would look good anywhere in DTO as long as it wasn't paired as part of a set of two with the other one looking totally unrelated. 

I like to see tie-in features.

But again,  JMHO.  

Would it kill these architects to add a little randomness and asymmetry to their designs, or it that impossible with their Autodesk workstations (asking as a layman)?  People will have to live with the visual impact of these designs for generations...It's why bad design makes me righteously furious...

Edited by jliv

• 1 month later...