The Edge | 32-Story Mixed Use + SunRail Station [Proposed/Demo Underway]

HankStrong

15 hours ago, GregoryMCSE said:

They will cut the height by 8 stories and widen the base and add a visor. 

Later this year;  I heard that last year.  😀

Yeah I'm starting to get worried but they have a pretty good track record so I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Still, downtown Orlando is stagnating a lot right now compared to every other large Florida city. A little concerning. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Yeah I'm starting to get worried but they have a pretty good track record so I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Still, downtown Orlando is stagnating a lot right now compared to every other large Florida city. A little concerning. 

have you been to Nashville?  holy cow the development that is going on in their downtown.

I noticed that too about downtown Orlando.  covid screwed up a lot.  Take UCF.  that campus was supposed to be bustling with activity.  well, you can't have activity when most everyone is on Zoom and Teams.  That measure is turning into a trend, and that is bad for commercial real estate, which also affects residential downtown to a point.

But City Hall's track record is not good; it is hard to get a permit, yet easy to get a public building (like dpac) built. talk of "bars" discrimination is bad for business.  However, there are a few bars being redeveloped right now.  So, I don't know...

But there aren't any companies looking to move workers downtown en masse.  I know in Citrus Center, 1/2 of one of their floors just vacated unexpectedly two weeks ago. 

The exodus has been ongoing for decades, but a glaring move was when Travelers left during the boom for Baldwin Park.  Maybe the City should have given some sort of incentive for them to stay.  I know they do stuff like that in Chicago, and that kind of thing is going on in Nashville.

It's almost as if City Hall want's downtown to fail.  I know the soccer stadium deal, when it cut off Paramore was a double take moment for me and others.  I think CIty Hall thinks it's all just going to happen magically.  It doesn't.  There's always negotiations.  A lot of the times it's at the State level, but make no mistake about it, it takes place at the City level even more so.  Orlando just isn't doing it (or enough of it).  

8 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

Yeahhhh Ft. Lauderdale and St. Petersburg bith have better/active/modern skylines. Even Tampa is better.

I still think other than Miami, Orlando has the most impressive city entrance skyline. Especially from the North near Par Street and the East/Southeast. 

Honestly, that view got ruined. The skyline used to look amazing heading westbound on I-4 from Ivanhoe, but now it's mostly blocked by the huge wall that is Society smh.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Uncommon said:

Honestly, that view got ruined. The skyline used to look amazing heading westbound on I-4 from Ivanhoe, but now it's mostly blocked by the huge wall that is Society smh.

1000% AGREE its a gigantic wall that blocks all that was of interest behind it. On another note, I cant wait for something to block 55W. That flying nun is repulsive.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 11:15 AM, GregoryMCSE said:

I have Ron Paul sitting on go.  Anyone seen any port-o-potties?  

Break out the Ron Paul.  I saw one today at the northern most corner of the site!  Oh, wait; no photo, though; so...I guess it doesn't exist...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m convinced the Magic belong in Tampa / St Pete at this point. It’s clear that it’s a metro that pulled itself out of the gutter and blows over Orlando. Let’s just give them the big 4 (MBL, NHL, NBA, NFL). 

Orlando can continue to improve upon its major contributions and secondary industries and forget about its failures like the Magic. 
Get that train to Tampa and Orlando won’t seem so far away from there.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/15/2023 at 9:04 PM, Tim3167 said:

Where did this come from? I don’t understand this take. I’m a Magic season ticket holder and they continue to draw well despite not having some good years as of late. Game nights down there have a nice energy drawing people from surrounding areas. Meanwhile as much as I enjoyed a Rays game last year there were maybe 5,000 people in attendance in a really bad facility. 

hope this doesn’t hijack this thread with all the Magic haters on this forum. The connection to this thread I can make is when I head down to games is my opportunity to look for movement on demo of the site for Edge tower.

Sounds like you have a stake in the game. For the rest of us, the Magic are a flailing shell of a NBA team and that lot sits there as a pit.

On 3/15/2023 at 9:04 PM, Tim3167 said:

Where did this come from? I don’t understand this take. I’m a Magic season ticket holder and they continue to draw well despite not having some good years as of late. Game nights down there have a nice energy drawing people from surrounding areas. Meanwhile as much as I enjoyed a Rays game last year there were maybe 5,000 people in attendance in a really bad facility. 

hope this doesn’t hijack this thread with all the Magic haters on this forum. The connection to this thread I can make is when I head down to games is my opportunity to look for movement on demo of the site for Edge tower.

The magic are a definite failure on the court. Anyone I know that is NBA literate know them as a farm team with horrible management. The games I have been to have been full of tourists from S. America and the U.K. that show up to games while on their Disney vacay to see the stars on other teams.  Snubbing Shaq for that $121m was one of the worst mistakes in Orlando history which solidified them as a non serious "participation trophy" team.  But hey, 2030 is right around the corner aye?

Edited by TheGolfFather
  • Like 1

You guys make it sound like the   Magic   are the only team in the NBA that has had several losing or sub par seasons.

There are several teams that have never even made it to the final championship series.

Something the ★ Magic   have done twice.

I stopped following them and basketball in general years ago, so I don't really care OWOTO. 

But even having a losing team that fills up the arena is better than not having a team.

And any losing team can someday become a winning team.  :thumbsup:.

• Like 1

Was the original Magic bashing post intended for the Magic Entertainment Complex thread? 

I also will say this is just how professional sports teams are realistically. How many franchises really operate consistently over at a championship level? Only a handful in each sport really.  There are probably 20 or so other NBA franchises mired in mediocrity without even the success this ownership team has had. Off the top of my head I’m just thinking of teams in DC, Charlotte, and Atlanta. The exception really is when a team pokes their head into success that’s not part of the normal circle like Sacramento is doing this year.

I recently have listened to a few national nba analysts (Zach Lowe, Ryan Rusillo, Bill Simmons)that actually say Orlando has one of the more promising roster situations in the upcoming years so I find it misinformed to say anyone that is NBA literate know them as an nba farm team with horrible management. I mean they recently fleeced the Chicago Bulls in one of the most lopsided trades in the past 10 years.

As far as having a stake in the game, well I’m a Magic fan who drives downtown dozens of nights a year to spend money and support a local product. I would actually think that having that stake in the game is what cities need, no?

Now as far as developing that lot across from Amway Center. Yep, pretty crappy job obviously  so far.

• Like 1