Verdae Commons, Greenville, South Carolina

Greenville Paladin

Verdae Commons, announced in February 2017, is a mixed use residential and retail development on the former Sam's Club (2519 Laurens Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29607-3815), Goody's, and Best Buy (2631 Laurens Road, Greenville, South Caorlina 29607-3817) sites on Laurens Road in the City of Greenville in Greenville County, South Carolina.  It is part of Verdae.  A new road, Verdae Commons Drive, was constructed and opened from the intersection of Laurens Road and Henderson Drive to a connection with Velo Verdae.

Having viewed the master plan, I have noticed a proposed grocery store with a pharmacy drive thru between Verdae Commons Drive and Market Place Drive.

I have not followed updates on Verdae Commons beyond the grading for Verdae Commons Drive.

Further reading

On 10/29/2019 at 12:48 PM, gman430 said:

No news on it in almost three years. Maybe they’re waiting on the architecture details to be complete before starting construction. :lol: :rolleyes:

From what I understand Harris Teeter was supposed to be part of this project but when Bilo declared Bankruptcy they were afraid the Super Bilo at Verdae would come available and Publix or someone else would take it and out possition them so they would not make their commitment to the project firm and wanted to wait and see if they could get the Bilo so the developer pulled out of the project.  I do not know about now but within the last year I know the site remained available for development.

• Thanks 1

I have heard speculation of Harris Teeter and Publix having interest in a quantity of quality BI-LO stores remaining in South Carolina. 

Southeastern Grocers, parent company of BI-LO, Fresco y Más, Harvey's, and Winn-Dixie, has closed or announced the closure of 28 stores to date in 2019.  Additional stores could close as leases expire or as underachieving stores cannot turnaround their performances.

21 hours ago, Greenville Paladin said:

I have heard speculation of Harris Teeter and Publix having interest in a quantity of quality BI-LO stores remaining in South Carolina. 

Southeastern Grocers, parent company of BI-LO, Fresco y Más, Harvey's, and Winn-Dixie, has closed or announced the closure of 28 stores to date in 2019.  Additional stores could close as leases expire or as underachieving stores cannot turnaround their performances.

Actually Food Lion has been busy picking up closing Bi-Lo locations in other parts of the state like Florence, Myrtle Beach and Charleston. It just doesn't seem to be Harris Teeter's thing  to acquire other grocers buildings. They seem to build from ground up. Publix did pick up a few Bi-Lo stores in the Charlotte area.

I don't see HT wanting another store on Lauren's that close to the future Northpointe store. I think Greer and Simpsonville or more likely future location for them.

Edited by vistatiger

Verdae Village is nowhere close to NorthPointe.  If I lived in Gower Estates or in Verdae, why would I want to drive all the way downtown to Harris Teeter when it is nearby on Laurens Road?

Food Lion has acquired, since last year, five former BI-LO stores.  Stores that opened in Myrtle Beach and Surfside Beach are underachieving from what I have heard.