Chatham County

KJHburg

21 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Mosaic first part of the commercial section of Chatham Park underway.    Chatham Park is a such a game changer for the entire region and I do believe it propel Chatham County into a major force in the Triangle area. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/10/29/works-begins-tenants-unveiled-for-mosaic.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

and other story about this project

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2019/10/29/developers-unveil-350m-development-near-pittsboro-as-gateway-to-chatham-park/

Counterpoint: ehhhh, it's pretty far away.  Like Smithfield, Benson, Louisburg, Mebane, ...

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My family roots go back to mid 1700s here in Chatham County especially around Goldston, Hickory Mountain, Bonlee, Bear Creek, Tick Creek etc.  

Well these photos are from the county seat of Pittsboro today and some from inside upper level of the old courthouse. 

Only 4 of my family surnames are on the Chatham County Roll Call list LOL. 

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2068.JPG

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2084.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Lot of activity going on down in Pittsboro and in Chatham Park.

Cary developer is looking to rezone 700+ acres south of town.

""Earlier this year, an LLC addressed to Cary developer Preston Development Company filed a request with the Town of Pittsboro to rezone a 741-acre assemblage to R-15, which town code says could allow as many as eight units per acre. That could mean up to 5,928 new homes if the developer’s request is approved and the company pursues the maximum density.  The project is situated at 1377 Sanford Road on the east side of Highway 501. Chatham County land records show the largest parcel, at more than 500 acres, has a value of $7.66 million. Another parcel, at 227 acres, is valued at $3.3 million. Those parcels are owned by CPF LLC, which is addressed to a P.O. Box in Cary.""

Chatham Park developer could bring thousands of new homes to Pittsboro - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Lowes Food will be opening a store in Northwood Landing a part of the huge Chatham Park development.

also in Pittsboro

""Meanwhile, Pittsboro continues to attract interest from developers. Elsewhere in town, Apex-based Triple A Homes, Inc. has received a special use permit for Griffin Farms, calling for 99 townhomes just south of downtown Pittsboro. Also, Greg Stafford has announced plans for SoCo in the heart of downtown Pittsboro. The project is situated at West Street and Sanford Road facing the historic courthouse.""

SoCo Pittsboro - Leasing Restaurant Space, Dining Destination Pittsboro

• Like 2

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the Triangle seems to be headed down the same path of suburban sprawl ruin as Atlanta. The outward growth seems manageable until all of a sudden it's not. Not sure if the Triangle is past the point of no return yet, but surely it is on the cusp. Which is a shame because I think it is a great area. I think one challenge for the Triangle is that it covers so many different counties and municipalities - harder to get everyone pulling in the same direction. Even if the core cities see the light, there are still the Chathams and Johnstons and Granvilles that are happy to take the development, no matter the form or the consequences.

• Like 1

Actually Chatham County with the huge planned community of Chatham Park is much more careful and it will be well planned out.   The Triangle region is growing and with a growing population more land is developed.  High land prices in Orange and Wake counties especially are driving homes out of those counties into other surrounding counties.  I am not sure as proposed this development will be approved. However Chatham Park has a mixture of land uses including apartments, townhomes, and SF homes.  It is not a large lot development eating up a lot land it is designed to have people live and work in the community.

Chatham Park - Your Pittsboro NC Live Work Play Community

here is the master plan

CP-Overall-PDD-June-2019.pdf (chathampark.com)

the choice is a growing region or one where there is stagnation and loss of economic opportunity.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Actually Chatham County with the huge planned community of Chatham Park is much more careful and it will be well planned out.   The Triangle region is growing and with a growing population more land is developed.  High land prices in Orange and Wake counties especially are driving homes out of those counties into other surrounding counties.  I am not sure as proposed this development will be approved. However Chatham Park has a mixture of land uses including apartments, townhomes, and SF homes.  It is not a large lot development eating up a lot land it is designed to have people live and work in the community.

Chatham Park - Your Pittsboro NC Live Work Play Community

here is the master plan

CP-Overall-PDD-June-2019.pdf (chathampark.com)

the choice is a growing region or one where there is stagnation and loss of economic opportunity.  

I think that your choice between growth and stagnation is a false binary. This logic has been used to justify the approval of all kinds of crappy developments. The opposite of suburban sprawl does not have to be stagnation - it could be thoughtful urban development instead. The "growth at all costs" mentality has resulted in the destruction of countless square miles of natural habitat across the country, along with crippling traffic and auto-dependence - not to mention second-order effects of this development pattern that arguably include increased obesity; racial, economic, and political polarization; excessive traffic and pedestrian fatalities, etc. I could go on but I think you get the point.

And I vehemently disagree that Chatham Park is well-planned. It may be wearing the latest in development fashion, but in looking at the master plan, it is the same old s***. Individual neighborhood "pods", separated by wasteful, useless "green space" that does nothing but push everything far enough apart that cars are the only viable choice for transportation. The "mixed-use nodes" are just buildings plopped in a sea of parking; the retail will surely be the same national chains that pop up in any development like this. The multifamily development is kept far away from the single-family homes, and each individual neighborhood will surely be segmented by price. And of course, the whole clusterf*** is located miles from where any of the residents will work, and of course the only transportation option to get to said work is the private automobile. 

The real tragedy is that your own pictures show that Pittsboro is a pleasant town. It has a compact, walkable core and a modest street grid. If this urban fabric had been duplicated and expanded, it would have benefitted all residents and businesses in Pittsboro, and the town could have "leveled up" to a larger city. Again, I am not disputing the need of a place for 80,000 new residents in the Triangle. But development at this scale could have enhanced Pittsboro proper. Instead, it *replaces* Pittsboro, to the benefit of the Preston Development Company, and to the detriment of Chatham County, which is now on the hook forever to maintain the infrastructure associated with this development. To me, Chatham Park epitomizes everything that is wrong with modern, large-scale development. I will repeat my assertion that as bright as the present is for the Triangle, it is on the brink of irreparable disaster. 

• Like 2

Here are the counties and there quite a few of them that are not growing in NC in fact shrinking.  1/3 of the counties in the state in fact.

Are NC county growth patterns shifting? | Carolina Demography (ncdemography.org)

Chatham and all the Triangle area counties are not any of them.  Nor is Guilford, Forsyth  Davidson,  Randolph, Alamance in the Triad. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jthomas said:

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the Triangle seems to be headed down the same path of suburban sprawl ruin as Atlanta. The outward growth seems manageable until all of a sudden it's not. Not sure if the Triangle is past the point of no return yet, but surely it is on the cusp. Which is a shame because I think it is a great area. I think one challenge for the Triangle is that it covers so many different counties and municipalities - harder to get everyone pulling in the same direction. Even if the core cities see the light, there are still the Chathams and Johnstons and Granvilles that are happy to take the development, no matter the form or the consequences.

Really? I welcome the development. Sure, I prefer dense urban core development around mass transit, but I also want to see smaller, outlying counties and municipalities growing too. It certainly beats the alternative. I’m progrowth.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

Really? I welcome the development. Sure, I prefer dense urban core development around mass transit, but I also want to see smaller, outlying counties and municipalities growing too. It certainly beats the alternative. I’m progrowth.

I am not anti-growth - far from it, in fact. I am strongly in favor of GOOD growth. I stated above my ideal model for growth: replication of the existing town fabric, by extending the contiguous street grid, mixing residential, commercial, and institutional uses in a fine-grained, pedestrian-friendly pattern. This is how towns grew into cities prior to WWII. And if Chatham Park builds out to its full size, it will have the population of a small city, but none of the charm. That is why I am critical, and why I regard it as a missed opportunity.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Big news out of Chatham County and their Moncure megasite in the far SE corner of the county.  They are going to rebrand it and try to attract bio pharma to the site and this makes a lot more sense than keeping it out there for hopes of an auto manufacturer.  It is between Cary/Apex and Sanford and just 10 miles south of 540.  The 2000 acre megasite could fill up with lots of bioscience firms.   the site is now called Triangle Innovation Point. 

2,000-acre megasite in Chatham wants to be NC's next hub for life sciences - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

here is their new website

Triangle Innovation Point

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Major 55 and older community proposed for south of Pittsboro.  This is a good fit for Chatham County as it does not put pressure on the schools and is close enough to Chapel Hill and Cary/Apex for medical care and shopping.

Could have up to 2000 homes.

""A massive development geared toward retirees in Chatham County could include around 2,200 homes.  Preliminary details of the development, called Townsend Tract, were discussed during a Pittsboro Town Council meeting on Aug. 9 during presentations by Jamie Schwedler, a partner with law firm Parker Poe representing Atlanta-based homebuilder PulteGroup (NYSE: PHM) The development would be built on 740 acres just south of downtown Pittsboro along the east side of U.S. Highway 15-501 and Moncure Pittsboro Road. Townsend Tract would not be part of the massive Chatham Park development, according to a Pulte spokesperson.""

this sounds like a Sun City Pittsboro as Pulte owns Del Webb their active adult home builder.

Townsend Tract development could put 2,200 new homes in Pittsboro - Triangle Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

speaking of growth in the home of my ancestors here are some shots of the Vineyards at Chatham Park where many new homes are getting ready to start with at least one vertical.  They have 4 or 5 builders in this area building SF homes and townhomes.   this is the section closest to Pittsboro. 

Chatham Park – The Vineyards – The Vineyards is the first new home neighborhood in the innovative new community of Chatham Park, located just west of Raleigh, NC. Cottage homes, custom homes, parks and trails — all within walking distance of downtown Pittsboro and close to the Haw River and Jordan Lake. (vineyardsatcp.com)

IMG_6287.JPG

IMG_6288.JPG

IMG_6289.JPG

IMG_6290.JPG

IMG_6291.JPG

IMG_6292.JPG

IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6294.JPG

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Something major maybe be brewing on the Moncure Megasite in SE Chatham County along US 1.    Just as with the Greensboro Randolph megasite more state money was allocated to the site and this time to the city of Sanford for water service.  This could be for a huge computer chip plant!   

https://businessnc.com/sanford-mayor-sees-chatham-megasite-as-a-big-winner/

about the megasite https://edpnc.com/megasites/moncure-megasite/ 

• Like 4