Broadstone SoBro (804 4th Ave. South) 8 stories, 226 units, ground level retail, internal garage

smeagolsfree

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, andywildman said:

Man I love the massing - just fully embracing full building height right up next to the street.

But more than that, I HATE the way that parking garage kills any and all street engagement.

Agreed.  That parking garage is just brutal.  Ugh.

• Like 3

Some folks will say "well when the road is Lafayette, what should we expect?", and I would argue that if Lafayette was put on a road diet instead of being a freaking highway, the activation would more naturally occur (granted that is if it doesn't just turn into a storage facility).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cladding and brickwork nearly complete.

Looking west from 3rd Ave. South, 1/2 block north of Lindsley Ave:

Broadstone SoBro, April 17, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking SE from intersection of Ash St. and 4th Ave. South:

Broadstone SoBro, April 17, 2022, 2.jpeg

Looking east from Lafayette St., just south of Ash St:

Broadstone SoBro, April 17, 2022, 3.jpeg

Looking NE from 4th Ave. South, just south of Lafayette St: 

Broadstone SoBro, April 17, 2022, 4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Overall it is extremely underwhelming for such a prominent corner :tw_dissapointed:

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

I understand that the design was trying to create some "action" on the façade, but man are those door/window/railing placements annoying!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, markhollin said:

Cladding and brickwork nearly complete.

Looking west from 3rd Ave. South, 1/2 block north of Lindsley Ave:

Broadstone SoBro, April 17, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking SE from intersection of Ash St. and 4th Ave. South:

Broadstone SoBro, April 17, 2022, 2.jpeg

Looking NE from 4th Ave. South, just south of Lafayette St: 

Broadstone SoBro, April 17, 2022, 4.jpeg

These awesome pics don't even show the newest addition to the building- a blue repeating chevron pattern covering the garage on the side fronting Ash St. Seriously, I wish that I could have captured a pic from my car while I was driving, but trust me when I tell you that it looks bizarre.

Overall, I've noticed that these Broadstone buildings are always really close to being attractive, but usually end up ruining it with bad paint jobs and questionable finishing touches. The cool grey of the facade totally clashes with the nice brickwork on the bottom floors, the black rail feaux-balconies stick out like crazy, and each face of the building is so disjointed from the other. It could be worse (like Haven), but this one has shaped up to be super disappointing.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 9:45 AM, Bos2Nash said:

I understand that the design was trying to create some "action" on the façade, but man are those door/window/railing placements annoying!

But what if they could slide side to side so that it looked like people dancing and swaying their hips?

In all seriousness, it looks as though they had pre-made left and right-facing door-window combinations and couldn't remember which ones were supposed to go where.

On 4/22/2022 at 6:54 PM, downtownresident said:

Haven, by far. This at least has texture and a less garish color palate. 

Personally I can't stand that dark grey color-it looks Soviet while Haven reminds me of some early 21st century Russian provincial architecture (see Yekaterinburg,Skyscrapercity) gone haywire.

Edited by bnacincy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...