Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
CLT_sc

Cola leads US cities for green space

Recommended Posts

Guides and magazines are never scientific, but do provide good publicity for the city.  In this guide, Columbia leads the list for green space....and not just in SC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.apartmentguide.com/blog/best-cities-for-green-spaces-in-america/%3famp

According to the guide, the city has 42 parks. In addition, the city also has the Horseshoe at USC which is one of the best college settings in SC, no other large SC university has a space like this.  And, the state capitol is one of the best in the country and has a great park setting. The Congaree National Park is a great asset for the city.

Bull St will add to the list, but the media won’t notice anything until the River Park is finished.  

Any news on the river park? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Nice publicity for sure, despite how poorly researched. There's false statements like this:

Quote

Columbia has 42 parks within its limits — that's a park for every 3,169 Sandlappers in the state.

 

To clarify: the Congaree National Park is not in the city limits. This was a study of cities over 100,000 people. The only cities to compete with in SC for this "study" are Charleston and North Charleston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That rating is pretty worthless.  The number of parks divided by the population. No accounting for how large each park is or whether it is just a patch of grass or a major regional park.  Acreage divided by the population would be a better metric, although still not perfect.  Jacksonville FL would rank high despite being a big city, but  they include a massive amount of 'preservation' lands that are not really accessible in any real way.     

Any ranking that doesn't put Minneapolis in first place (its 4th here) should be taken with a huge grain of salt. It is pretty much universally accepted that they have the best Parks/Recreation in the country.  Every resident is no more than six blocks from a park, for example.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

That rating is pretty worthless.  The number of parks divided by the population. No accounting for how large each park is or whether it is just a patch of grass or a major regional park.  Acreage divided by the population would be a better metric, although still not perfect.  Jacksonville FL would rank high despite being a big city, but  they include a massive amount of 'preservation' lands that are not really accessible in any real way.     

Any ranking that doesn't put Minneapolis in first place (its 4th here) should be taken with a huge grain of salt. It is pretty much universally accepted that they have the best Parks/Recreation in the country.  Every resident is no more than six blocks from a park, for example.  

I agree that magazine rankings and internet sites ( from college rankings to “foodie cities”) are for the most part set up to generate “hits” or sell magazines for those that still subscribe.  But, worthless is a little tough.  Besides, some cities in SC celebrate and defend every worthless publication where irrelevant stats are construed to tell a “yeah that” story.  

What this shows is there is a lot of green space in Columbia within the city limits, 42 parks and counting, and what lies outside the lines, Congaree National Park.

In addition, the city’s geeenway and trail system is growing, the zoo and gardens are world class and the study would certainly not include the Horseshoe and capitol grounds....some of the best green spaces in the state.  So, worthless....no.  Would I bank on this or any magazine ranking/internet publication, not a chance. 

But, is Columbia at the top in SC with regards to recreational space and activities, regardless of city size, without a doubt.  And, that is really what this is getting at.  

Another interesting question worth asking is, does every American city need a ton of green space like Minneapolis  when most Americans live on 1/4 acre lots.  This is for another thread, but we simply aren’t like cities such as London where space is a premium. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

But, is Columbia at the top in SC with regards to recreational space and activities, regardless of city size, without a doubt.  And, that is really what this is getting at.  

 

Top 5 is probably a safe bet, yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Top 5 is probably a safe bet, yes. 

Absolute rankings always provoke a debate that spirals into a question of methodology.  So, yes, top 5 would put Columbia at the top.  If you throw out the 100k barrier, Fort Mill would rise to the top quickly due to the Close Greenway.  Charleston would certainly be in the top grouping.  

The good  news is that more is coming....the Bull St park will be around 20 acres.  And, if I remember correctly, the post office on Assembly eventually will expand Finlay Park which provides a connection with Main.

not sure about River Park, cost for that park may push it out a while.

The good news, even without Congaree National and the 100 ish or so acres at the state Capitol and Horseshoe, Columbia is a top city for outdoor space.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

Absolute rankings always provoke a debate that spirals into a question of methodology.  So, yes, top 5 would put Columbia at the top.  If you throw out the 100k barrier, Fort Mill would rise to the top quickly due to the Close Greenway.  Charleston would certainly be in the top grouping.  

The good  news is that more is coming....the Bull St park will be around 20 acres.  And, if I remember correctly, the post office on Assembly eventually will expand Finlay Park which provides a connection with Main.

not sure about River Park, cost for that park may push it out a while.

The good news, even without Congaree National and the 100 ish or so acres at the state Capitol and Horseshoe, Columbia is a top city for outdoor space.  

I suppose you're right: competition in SC is stiff.  Top 10 would probably be a safe bet. State owned land/greenspace in Columbia definitely benefits the city. 

What's interesting is that Charleston claims to have "120 parks which consist of approximately 1,809 acres of parks and open space". 

Edited by GvilleSC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

I suppose you're right: competition in SC is stiff.  Top 10 would probably be a safe bet. State owned land/greenspace in Columbia definitely benefits the city. 

What's interesting is that Charleston claims to have "120 parks which consist of approximately 1,809 acres of parks and open space". 

Honestly, I don’t see it as a competition, the only value in magazine and internet rankings is publicity.  No magazine or internet ranking has any measure of statistical control, they are all self managed and have no audit trail.  So, from magazine college rankings to this ranking, you have to be really careful not to put much into the outcome.  But, this particular “study” shows that Columbia has a good amount of green space.  

It is good publicity for the city which is mostly ignored by the media.  And, if you layer in the Congaree Forest, the accessibility of outdoor space is really strong in the city.  

Fort Mill has the Close Greenway at 2,100 acres, this would show really well in rankings.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

 

What's interesting is that Charleston claims to have "120 parks which consist of approximately 1,809 acres of parks and open space". 

That is very interesting,  wonder how that claim matches with the findings of this report. That is a ton of parks. By comparison, Greenville boasts 39 parks totaling over 700 acres ( https://www.greenvillesc.gov/948/City-Parks ) within the city limits, which isn't bad at all for a city of only 28 sq miles. Sounds like all our major cities are doing well in that regard.  And I've always maintained that we have a great state park system as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.